Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default google-chrome pdf editor

Hi,

Google-chrome has a builtin pdf editor.
But when I select a pdf document, for example from www.irs.gov, and edit
it, it acts as if it is editing it, but when I save it none of the
changes are there.

Anyone have this problem?

Hugo

Archive: j43cto$t9c$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j43cto$t9c$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 09-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 15:54:13 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Google-chrome has a builtin pdf editor.

An editor or a viewer?

Most PDF viewers can also fill forms but still are not considered as
"editors".

> But when I select a pdf document, for example from www.irs.gov, and
> edit it, it acts as if it is editing it, but when I save it none of the
> changes are there.
>
> Anyone have this problem?

Haven't tested it but I know there are PDF files that cannot be saved
locally (it's forbidden by policy), they have been done just to be filled
and sent online to the remote server (or printed and posted by courier),
so ensure this is not such case.

But I bet you'll need Acrobat Reader, I would first test with it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Camaleón wrote:

Aha, chrome://plugins says 'Chrome PDF Viewer'. But why would it allow
you to change text fields?

Most PDF viewers can also fill forms but still are not considered as
"editors".

But when I select a pdf document, for example from www.irs.gov, and
edit it, it acts as if it is editing it, but when I save it none of the
changes are there.

Anyone have this problem?

Haven't tested it but I know there are PDF files that cannot be saved
locally (it's forbidden by policy), they have been done just to be filled
and sent online to the remote server (or printed and posted by courier),
so ensure this is not such case.

The files from www.irs.gov specifically *can* be saved locally

But I bet you'll need Acrobat Reader, I would first test with it.

But with amd64 that is such a dog :-(

Thanks Camaleón...

Hugo

Archive: j45ceg$30l$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j45ceg$30l$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 09-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 09:58:25 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 15:54:13 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>
>>> Google-chrome has a builtin pdf editor.
>>
>> An editor or a viewer?
>
> Aha, chrome://plugins says 'Chrome PDF Viewer'. But why would it allow
> you to change text fields?

Yep, PDF viewers/readers can also fill forms :-)

>> Haven't tested it but I know there are PDF files that cannot be saved
>> locally (it's forbidden by policy), they have been done just to be
>> filled and sent online to the remote server (or printed and posted by
>> courier), so ensure this is not such case.
>
> The files from www.irs.gov specifically *can* be saved locally

Let me check it with my Evince... mmm, it works fine (Evince 2.32.0),
data is restored once the form is filled and saved. And if we attend to
this:

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=1060734

Chrome should also be able to fill forms but it does not say a word about
"saving" them :-?

Tip: try to "print" the file to a PDF (by using your DE PDF virtual
printer) instead "saving" it.

>> But I bet you'll need Acrobat Reader, I would first test with it.
>>

> But with amd64 that is such a dog :-(

I know, I know... It's a real pain ;-(

Maybe you can try with another PDF editor.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Curt

On 2011-09-05, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Google-chrome has a builtin pdf editor.
> But when I select a pdf document, for example from www.irs.gov, and edit
> it, it acts as if it is editing it, but when I save it none of the
> changes are there.
>
> Anyone have this problem?

Yes, same thing happens here. You can fill the form out, but you can
neither save nor print (in my experience) what you've entered into the
fillable fields.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Giancarlo Pegoraro

Maybe you can try with another PDF editor.

May be libreoffice draw? :-)

Greetings,

--
Ciao Genki )))