Old 09-05-2011, 09:39 AM
AG

Default : viewable/ printable scheduler/ calendar

Hi list

I am looking for a calendar/ scheduler that will have the following
properties:

(i) allow day/ week/ month views and printing

(ii) will give reminders for upcoming scheduled events

(iii) is /not/ tied to a larger program (e.g. Evolution)

(iv) will minimise to the task area/ system tray in either Gnome or Xfce4

Currently, I am using Orage which is pretty good for reminders and easy
to use. However, I have not (yet) found a way of either viewing or
printing out forthcoming appointments in day/ week/ month view.

Any recommendations from others on this list about an application that
will meet my four criteria?

Thanks in anticipation.

AG

Archive: 4E6498E0.5010501@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E6498E0.5010501@gmail.com

Old 09-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 10:39:44 +0100, AG wrote:

> Hi list
>
> I am looking for a calendar/ scheduler that will have the following
> properties:
>
> (i) allow day/ week/ month views and printing
>
> (ii) will give reminders for upcoming scheduled events
>
> (iii) is /not/ tied to a larger program (e.g. Evolution)
>
> (iv) will minimise to the task area/ system tray in either Gnome or
> Xfce4
>
> Currently, I am using Orage which is pretty good for reminders and easy
> to use. However, I have not (yet) found a way of either viewing or
> printing out forthcoming appointments in day/ week/ month view.
>
> Any recommendations from others on this list about an application that
> will meet my four criteria?
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> AG

I use GPE Calendar. It runs on my Nokia N800, and seems to have the
properties you want. Not sure how it interacts with Gnome or Xfce,
thhough.

-- hendrik

Old 09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
AG

[...]

Thanks Hendrik

This would be for laptop and desktop systems.

I have searched through the Debian packages and don't even see where
such applications would be listed.

Any other ideas/ recommendations?

Cheers

AG

Archive: 4E66394B.5040204@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E66394B.5040204@gmail.com

Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 16:16:27 +0100, AG wrote:

> On 05/09/11 17:04, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 10:39:44 +0100, AG wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list
>>>
>>> I am looking for a calendar/ scheduler that will have the following
>>> properties:

(...)

>>> Any recommendations from others on this list about an application that
>>> will meet my four criteria?

>> I use GPE Calendar. It runs on my Nokia N800, and seems to have the
>> properties you want. Not sure how it interacts with Gnome or Xfce,
>> thhough.
>>
> Thanks Hendrik
>
> This would be for laptop and desktop systems.
>
> I have searched through the Debian packages and don't even see where
> such applications would be listed.
>
> Any other ideas/ recommendations?

How about "osmo"?

http://clayo.org/osmo/

It looks very compact and I can see a printer icon on the menu bar :-)

I personally use Lightning for such tasks but Iceowl -the standalone
counterpart calendar app available in Debian- can be very big for your
purposes :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Gilbert Sullivan

[...]

I would consider Iceowl (or possibly Iceowl-Extension, if you use
Icedove as a mail client). I'm not certain that it can be made to meet
one of your criteria -- that it be consignable to the system
notification area -- but I use it for all of the other features you
mention. If you need to be able to synchronize calendars with those of
other people I understand that the addon called Provider for Google
Calendar can handle that function, and I think there are other
alternatives as well.

Regards,
Gilbert

Archive: 4E664478.1060409@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E664478.1060409@comcast.net

Old 09-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Gilbert Sullivan

It looks very compact and I can see a printer icon on the menu bar :-)

I personally use Lightning for such tasks but Iceowl -the standalone
counterpart calendar app available in Debian- can be very big for your
purposes :-?

Greetings,

Wow! That (osmo) looks pretty nice. I've been using Iceowl for some time
and am pretty happy with it, but it's nice to know there are alternatives.

Archive: 4E664A9D.2020005@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E664A9D.2020005@comcast.net

Old 09-06-2011, 04:31 PM
AG

[...]

Thanks for this. I was considering Iceowl, but it was the system
notification option that swung it in favour of Osmo. Useful to know
about the synchronisation option though, and I may well revisit it one
day for those pursposes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

AG

Archive: 4E664AD7.8070402@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E664AD7.8070402@gmail.com

Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 PM
AG

[...]

Cheers Camaleón - I had never heard of Osmo and it seems to meet all of
my criteria, so will give it a trial run and see how we get on.

Thanks a lot.

AG

Archive: 4E664B14.90800@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E664B14.90800@gmail.com

Old 09-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Erwan David

On 06/09/11 18:30, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
> On 09/06/2011 12:00 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> How about "osmo"?
>>
>> http://clayo.org/osmo/
>>
>> It looks very compact and I can see a printer icon on the menu bar :-)
>>
>> I personally use Lightning for such tasks but Iceowl -the standalone
>> counterpart calendar app available in Debian- can be very big for your
>> purposes :-?
>>
>> Greetings,
>>

> Wow! That (osmo) looks pretty nice. I've been using Iceowl for some time
> and am pretty happy with it, but it's nice to know there are alternatives.

Alas, it seems lightning/iceowl is still the only solution for caldav
(not shared ics files), and thus for davmail when your calendar is on an
exchange server...

Old 09-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 17:32:20 +0100, AG wrote:

> On 06/09/11 17:00, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> Any other ideas/ recommendations?
>> How about "osmo"?
>>
>> http://clayo.org/osmo/
>>
>> It looks very compact and I can see a printer icon on the menu bar :-)
>>
>> I personally use Lightning for such tasks but Iceowl -the standalone
>> counterpart calendar app available in Debian- can be very big for your
>> purposes :-?
>>

> Cheers Camaleón - I had never heard of Osmo

Me neither :-)

I was rewieving this table:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_personal_information_managers#Open_source_ applications

And found many apps I've never heard before.

> and it seems to meet all of my criteria, so will give it a trial run
> and see how we get on.

Take a deep look into the table, there can be another calendar programs
that fit to your requirements.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón