Old 09-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Whit Hansell

Default virt terminal font problem

Maybe someone can help me here. I've googled all over and cannot find
an answer to my problem. I had been running Lenny before Squeeze went
stable, then installed Wheezy testing because I wanted to get back to
running testing again instead of stable. I've been running Debian Linux
since 2002, and since approx 2004, been running testing until Lenny
became stable. I had heard that there were going to be a bunch of
changes in Squeeze/testing and did not want to take a chance of having
a Problem w. the new testing so stayed w. Lenny when it went stable.

I had a problem when I purchased a new monitor, an LCD, and it required
me to put "vga=785" at the end of the Kernel line in menu.list file in
order to get any video out of the Virtual Terminal (F1-6). Now that I
have reinstalled w. Wheezy, I have the Virtual Terminal but the font
size is extremely tiny. I cannot see it well at all and I have a vision
problem to start with.

This problem w. terminal starts after boot when it gets to a certain
point, I'm assuming init.d, but not sure. While it's trying to check
hardware items it's fine, the standard 80 X 25 large font terminal
screen. Then all of a sudden it changes to the small/tiny font and just
before it brings up the splash screen, it sometimes messes up the whole
screen and puts across the top of the screen garbled lines for just a
second, then the splash screen pops up and I have no problem logging in.

That is no real problem because it still boots fine and I have dmesg if
I need it using the gnome terminal program. But I do like to use the
Virtual Terminal (F1-6) and when I go into any of them, I end up w. the
tiny font.

There is no menu.list anymore. Wheezy has changed the boot setup. It
is so different and Wheezy is so new that I can't find anyone else who
is having the same problem who has figured out how to correct the problem.

I would try to send this in as a bug but I don't really think it's a
bug. I think it's an anomoly, or if it is a bug it sure is not
important enough to cause a stir at a bug fest.

Has anyone any knowledge of manipulating font size in Virt Term in
Wheezy? Any help will be appreciated. It is not an imperative as I can
and do use the gnome terminal program but it would be nice to be able to
use the Virtual Terminal because once in a while.

Thanks in advance and cheers.

Whit

Archive: 4E64231A.7000103@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E64231A.7000103@comcast.net

Old 09-05-2011, 05:25 AM
Ivan Shmakov

[…]

> I had a problem when I purchased a new monitor, an LCD, and it
> required me to put "vga=785" at the end of the Kernel line in
> menu.list file in order to get any video out of the Virtual Terminal
> (F1-6). Now that I have reinstalled w. Wheezy, I have the Virtual
> Terminal but the font size is extremely tiny. I cannot see it well
> at all and I have a vision problem to start with.

Newer Linux & userland VT tools' default is to use video card's
graphics mode via a framebuffer console driver, instead of the
text mode, which was the older default.

My guess is that blacklisting the framebuffer drivers in
modprobe.d(5) will allow one to use the text mode as before, but
I haven't tried it yet. (I currently have no access to a
hardware running Wheezy.)

It's also possible to use the Terminus fonts (as of
console-terminus, IIRC), e. g.:

$ setfont -f /usr/share/consolefonts/Uni3-TerminusBold28x14.psf.gz

Depending on the actual screen resolution, a font of up to 32x16
pixel size may be chosen.

> This problem w. terminal starts after boot when it gets to a certain
> point, I'm assuming init.d, but not sure. While it's trying to check
> hardware items it's fine, the standard 80 X 25 large font terminal
> screen. Then all of a sudden it changes to the small/tiny font

… And it's the time the framebuffer drivers get loaded.

> and just before it brings up the splash screen, it sometimes messes
> up the whole screen and puts across the top of the screen garbled
> lines for just a second, then the splash screen pops up and I have no
> problem logging in.

Note also that since newer reboot(8) doesn't go through the BIOS
(it only reinitializes the kernel), the screen will be garbled
at reboot as well.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257 Coming soon: Software Freedom Day

Old 09-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Brian

On Sun 04 Sep 2011 at 21:17:14 -0400, Whit Hansell wrote:

> Has anyone any knowledge of manipulating font size in Virt Term in
> Wheezy? Any help will be appreciated. It is not an imperative as I can
> and do use the gnome terminal program but it would be nice to be able to
> use the Virtual Terminal because once in a while.

Your first port of call should be

dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

Old 09-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Whit Hansell

[Having to resend this as I originally only sent it to Ivan - this is to
the user group]
Thanks for the reply Ivan. Shawn mentioned trying dpkg-reconfigure
console-setup so I tried that first and got nowhere but it did give me a
notice when I set it in certain setups, as in VGA. It came up w. this
notice.....

Please select the size of the font for the Linux console. Simple │
│ integers corresponding to fonts can be used with all console
drivers. │
│ The number then represents the font height (number of scan lines).

│ Alternatively, the font may be represented as HEIGHTxWIDTH; however,

│ such font specifications require the kbd console package (not

│ console-tools) plus framebuffer (and the RadeonFB kernel driver for

│ framebuffer does not support them either).

│ Font heights can be useful for figuring out the real size of the
symbols │
│ on the console. For reference, the font used when the computer boots
has │

│ size 16.

So, on the next page I set the font size to 16 and rebooted just for
grins and it made no difference.

But on your suggestion, I looked at etc/modprobe.d and found.....

root@greatstar:/etc/modprobe.d# cat radeon-kms.conf
options radeon modeset=1

I'm guessing that if I change the options radeon modeset from 1 to 0,
then the radeon drivers won't load on reboot. Then the standard
framebuffers situation would occur? BTW my video driver is onboard and
is an ATI RV610 if that helps at all.

Do you think I'm correct in the idea of changing the modeset from 1 to 0
and would I have problems by doing so? Thanks for your help. I know i
sound goofy but I did a safe upgrade today in the midst of this mess and
a cups file was upgraded and it hosed my printing up. So far I have
printed from the web and can get noting but black, not blank, but black
pages. <G> YOu can understand why I'm a bit spooky. <G>

Thanks for your help Ivan. I really appreciate it.
Whit

Archive: 4E652D2F.1090607@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E652D2F.1090607@comcast.net

Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Whit Hansell

Thank you Brian . I did the dpkg reconfigure console-setup but none of
the various iterations I tried worked. I have replied to Ivan's
suggestion asking a question about making a change to a file in
modprobe.d. I did find a notice in the reconfugure deal re
framebuffers and that the driver I seem to be using is the problem.

Again thanks for your suggestion. Much appreciated.
Whit