Old 09-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Chir0n

Default Ugly appearence after upgrade

Hi all,

after an "aptitude dist-upgrade" to testing (and to unstable too) some GTK2 applications look ugly, like GTK1 appplications.

Gnome-terminal and Epiphany are two of them.

I tried install testing and after a "aptitude upgrade" the problem returned.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thnaks.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-09-04 18:32 +0200, Chir0n wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> after an "aptitude dist-upgrade" to testing (and to unstable too) some GTK2
> applications look ugly, like GTK1 appplications.
>
> Gnome-terminal and Epiphany are two of them.

They are not, because they are not GTK2 applications anymore. This may
be related to your problem, although gnome-terminal does not look ugly
here (I don't use Epiphany).

Sven

Old 09-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 13:32:57 -0300, Chir0n wrote:

> after an "aptitude dist-upgrade" to testing (and to unstable too) some
> GTK2 applications look ugly, like GTK1 appplications.

Yep, here also, at least in my VM that runs wheezy (scrolls and menus are
like GTK1 old-style).

> Gnome-terminal and Epiphany are two of them.
>
> I tried install testing and after a "aptitude upgrade" the problem
> returned.
>
> Does anyone know how to solve this?

I guess this is something related to the migration to GTK3 and GNOME3.
I'd say we have to be patient.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Walter Hurry

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 17:19:46 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 13:32:57 -0300, Chir0n wrote:
>
>> after an "aptitude dist-upgrade" to testing (and to unstable too) some
>> GTK2 applications look ugly, like GTK1 appplications.
>
> Yep, here also, at least in my VM that runs wheezy (scrolls and menus
> are like GTK1 old-style).
>
>> Gnome-terminal and Epiphany are two of them.
>>
>> I tried install testing and after a "aptitude upgrade" the problem
>> returned.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to solve this?
>
> I guess this is something related to the migration to GTK3 and GNOME3.
> I'd say we have to be patient.

Well, I don't wish to be patient. I ran into the GNOME3 monstrosity
early, since I run Fedora as well as Debian. When Fedora 15 was released
I looked at a few alternative DEs and shifted to LXDE, which I run on
Squeeze too now. I am a *very* happy camper. LXDE suits me very well
indeed; robust, flexible, straightforward to configure and lightning fast.

I do run a few GNOME applications, but not many.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Steven

On Sun, 2011-09-04 at 19:07 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-09-04 18:32 +0200, Chir0n wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > after an "aptitude dist-upgrade" to testing (and to unstable too) some GTK2
> > applications look ugly, like GTK1 appplications.
> >
> > Gnome-terminal and Epiphany are two of them.

So is evolution

> They are not, because they are not GTK2 applications anymore. This may
> be related to your problem, although gnome-terminal does not look ugly
> here (I don't use Epiphany).

It depends on your theme, I had clearlooks enabled and gnome-terminal
looks un-themed, grey, and ugly, so does evolution after the update to
3.0. To 'fix' this, you only need to enable a theme that is fit for
gnome 3.
For example adwaita, however you can mix it up a bit.
Go to system - preferences - Appearance, on the theme tab I had
clearlooks selected. So I click customize, then on the controls tab I
selected adwaita controls, left the other settings as they were
(clearlooks) and then close the windows. Now all my gtk2 apps looks
clearlooks themed, and gtk3 apps (like evolution and gnome-terminal) get
the adwaita controls, it's not the same, but definitely looks better
than nothing.

Kind regards,
Steven

Old 09-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 20:25:03 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 17:19:46 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> Does anyone know how to solve this?
>>
>> I guess this is something related to the migration to GTK3 and GNOME3.
>> I'd say we have to be patient.
>
> Well, I don't wish to be patient. I ran into the GNOME3 monstrosity
> early, since I run Fedora as well as Debian. When Fedora 15 was released
> I looked at a few alternative DEs and shifted to LXDE, which I run on
> Squeeze too now. I am a *very* happy camper. LXDE suits me very well
> indeed; robust, flexible, straightforward to configure and lightning
> fast.
>
> I do run a few GNOME applications, but not many.

I neither like gnome-shell in its current state (I tested GNOME 3.0 in
openSUSE and did not feel good with it), but I hope it changes a lot when
wheezy comes out... and there is also the fallback mode.

But true is that I'd like so much Debian still provides GNOME2/metacity
in wheezy as an alternative to GNOME3/gnome-shell.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Walter Hurry

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 11:57:13 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> I neither like gnome-shell in its current state (I tested GNOME 3.0 in
> openSUSE and did not feel good with it), but I hope it changes a lot
> when wheezy comes out... and there is also the fallback mode.

The problem with "fallback mode" is that it it is inferior to GNOME2.

> But true is that I'd like so much Debian still provides GNOME2/metacity
> in wheezy as an alternative to GNOME3/gnome-shell.

The problem with clinging to GNOME2 is that the GNOME project will no
longer develop it, so unless someone forks the whole kit and caboodle, it
will eventually die off.

I am so happy with LXDE that I wish I had switched sooner, but until
Fedora 15 came out I had been contented and familiar enough with GNOME2
not to make the effort to evaluate alternatives.

All this is my personal experience, preference and opinion of course; it
is for each to make his or her own choice.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:47:46 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 11:57:13 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> I neither like gnome-shell in its current state (I tested GNOME 3.0 in
>> openSUSE and did not feel good with it), but I hope it changes a lot
>> when wheezy comes out... and there is also the fallback mode.
>
> The problem with "fallback mode" is that it it is inferior to GNOME2.

Sure, but at least you don't have to deal with gnome-shell and still run
GNOME3.

>> But true is that I'd like so much Debian still provides GNOME2/metacity
>> in wheezy as an alternative to GNOME3/gnome-shell.
>
> The problem with clinging to GNOME2 is that the GNOME project will no
> longer develop it, so unless someone forks the whole kit and caboodle,
> it will eventually die off.

Yep, but GNOME2 is still supported upstream, at least for now, and I will
use it until it is finally dropped by the GNOME project. I don't need
additional features or enhancements just security fixes.

And now you mention a fork, there are two projects focused on this: mate
and exde, IIRC.

> I am so happy with LXDE that I wish I had switched sooner, but until
> Fedora 15 came out I had been contented and familiar enough with GNOME2
> not to make the effort to evaluate alternatives.
>
> All this is my personal experience, preference and opinion of course; it
> is for each to make his or her own choice.

I'm a bit reluctant in changing to XFCE. I migrated from KDE4 to GNOME2
and now I feel very comfortable in this environment. Being like a "nomad"
is fine for young people that want to taste new experiences, I prefer a
quiet home :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-09-05, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:47:46 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 11:57:13 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>>> I neither like gnome-shell in its current state (I tested GNOME 3.0 in
>>> openSUSE and did not feel good with it), but I hope it changes a lot
>>> when wheezy comes out... and there is also the fallback mode.
>>
>> The problem with "fallback mode" is that it it is inferior to GNOME2.
>
> Sure, but at least you don't have to deal with gnome-shell and still run
> GNOME3.
>
>>> But true is that I'd like so much Debian still provides GNOME2/metacity
>>> in wheezy as an alternative to GNOME3/gnome-shell.
>>
>> The problem with clinging to GNOME2 is that the GNOME project will no
>> longer develop it, so unless someone forks the whole kit and caboodle,
>> it will eventually die off.
>
> Yep, but GNOME2 is still supported upstream, at least for now, and I will
> use it until it is finally dropped by the GNOME project. I don't need
> additional features or enhancements just security fixes.

Do you have a reference to the official GNOME2 end-of-life policy?
Somehow, I can't see it continuing to be supported when wheezy is
released (or even when testing is frozen).

> And now you mention a fork, there are two projects focused on this: mate
> and exde, IIRC.

Yes, there have been a number of mentions of forks. But with a project
as large as GNOME it won't succeed without a big commitment from many
volunteers. That doesn't seem to be forthcoming.

>> I am so happy with LXDE that I wish I had switched sooner, but until
>> Fedora 15 came out I had been contented and familiar enough with GNOME2
>> not to make the effort to evaluate alternatives.
>>
>> All this is my personal experience, preference and opinion of course; it
>> is for each to make his or her own choice.
>
> I'm a bit reluctant in changing to XFCE. I migrated from KDE4 to GNOME2
> and now I feel very comfortable in this environment. Being like a "nomad"
> is fine for young people that want to taste new experiences, I prefer a
> quiet home :-)

I know how you feel. I have several users who simply don't like change,
and who are happy and productive with GNOME2. They have no interest in a
"new desktop paradigm" or whatever. But the days of GNOME2 are numbered.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Walter Hurry

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 17:32:27 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:47:46 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 11:57:13 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>>> I neither like gnome-shell in its current state (I tested GNOME 3.0 in
>>> openSUSE and did not feel good with it), but I hope it changes a lot
>>> when wheezy comes out... and there is also the fallback mode.
>>
>> The problem with "fallback mode" is that it it is inferior to GNOME2.
>
> Sure, but at least you don't have to deal with gnome-shell and still run
> GNOME3.
>
>>> But true is that I'd like so much Debian still provides
>>> GNOME2/metacity in wheezy as an alternative to GNOME3/gnome-shell.
>>
>> The problem with clinging to GNOME2 is that the GNOME project will no
>> longer develop it, so unless someone forks the whole kit and caboodle,
>> it will eventually die off.
>
> Yep, but GNOME2 is still supported upstream, at least for now, and I
> will use it until it is finally dropped by the GNOME project. I don't
> need additional features or enhancements just security fixes.
>
> And now you mention a fork, there are two projects focused on this: mate
> and exde, IIRC.
>
>> I am so happy with LXDE that I wish I had switched sooner, but until
>> Fedora 15 came out I had been contented and familiar enough with GNOME2
>> not to make the effort to evaluate alternatives.
>>
>> All this is my personal experience, preference and opinion of course;
>> it is for each to make his or her own choice.
>
> I'm a bit reluctant in changing to XFCE. I migrated from KDE4 to GNOME2
> and now I feel very comfortable in this environment. Being like a
> "nomad" is fine for young people that want to taste new experiences, I
> prefer a quiet home :-)

I'm slightly confused; I was discussing LXDE not XFCE. Actually I did
have a look at XFCE when I was looking for an alternative DE. My verdict
was "OK I suppose, but a bit too much of a GNOME wannabe".

But as I say, each to his own.

By the way, being referred to as "young" is quite flattering; I am
nearing retirement age.