Old 09-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Touko Korpela

Default No sound on Asus EeePC 1215b (hda-intel)

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 11:18:39AM +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 09/01/2011 12:08 AM, Touko Korpela wrote:

> >>Your default sound device is the device that happened to be detected
> >>first, which is your GPU's HDMI output.
> >>
> >>Tell whatever sound configuration tool is used in your distribution to
> >>use the other sound device.
> >
> >Shouldn't that be hidden when HDMI cable is not plugged (like now)?
>
> I'm working on hiding exactly that at the UI level (gnome/pulseaudio
> level rather than ALSA), but that is a long-term goal and not all
> pieces are into place yet.
>
> >Does this kind of system work for someone?
>
> A very similar machine, Asus 1215P [1], was enabled by the team I'm
> involved with, so yes, it definitely works for someone, and it would
> surprise me if it does not work out of the box from an Ubuntu 11.10
> Beta Live-CD even though the link says "pre-install only".
>
> You could try this terminal command:
>
> speaker-test -D plughw:SB -c 2 -t sine
>
> And see if that outputs sound (try both headphones and internal speakers).

I tested that command and it works. Now just have to figure out the right
way to select default sound output device (on Debian). Ideally it should
work automatically.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Takashi Iwai

At Sun, 4 Sep 2011 16:15:57 +0300,
Touko Korpela wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 11:18:39AM +0200, David Henningsson wrote:

> > >Shouldn't that be hidden when HDMI cable is not plugged (like now)?
> >
> > I'm working on hiding exactly that at the UI level (gnome/pulseaudio
> > level rather than ALSA), but that is a long-term goal and not all
> > pieces are into place yet.
> >
> > >Does this kind of system work for someone?
> >
> > A very similar machine, Asus 1215P [1], was enabled by the team I'm
> > involved with, so yes, it definitely works for someone, and it would
> > surprise me if it does not work out of the box from an Ubuntu 11.10
> > Beta Live-CD even though the link says "pre-install only".
> >
> > You could try this terminal command:
> >
> > speaker-test -D plughw:SB -c 2 -t sine
> >
> > And see if that outputs sound (try both headphones and internal speakers).
>
> I tested that command and it works. Now just have to figure out the right
> way to select default sound output device (on Debian). Ideally it should
> work automatically.

Try to put the following in ~/.asoundrc:

defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.ctl.card 1

Takashi