Old 09-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Camaleón

Default Setting up Icedove with mayor providers (was: MTU and Postfix)

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 19:33:41 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:09:23 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>>> I'm still monitoring this but if this is the "cure" to prevent such
>>> errors, are there any expected drawbacks for lowering MTU
>>> "system-wide"?
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Mmm, no replies yet...
>
> Reply:
>
> Sorry, I do not understand well most what you said even I read three
> times.

Ouch! The thread was just about MTU and I asked if it is fine to adjust
that value with bonded NICs...

> May I ask one thing here,

Well, not here, maybe in a new thread, don't you think? Hijacking other's
postings is not nice ;-)

(editing the subject...)

http://email.about.com/od/accessinghotmail/f/Windows_Live_Hotmail_SMTP_Settings.htm

> Is the icedove a good choice (for me) to grab emails from hotmail and
> gmail?

Yes, why not? :-?

> Seems Postfix is "heavy" for me?

Postfix is an e-mail server (MTA) not an e-mail client (MUA) like
Icedove. It's another kind of beast :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 PM
lina

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 19:33:41 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:09:23 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>>>
>>> (...)

>>> (...)
>>>
>>> Mmm, no replies yet...
>>
>> Reply:
>>
>> Sorry, I do not understand well most what you said even I read three
>> times.
>
> Ouch! The thread was just about MTU and I asked if it is fine to adjust
> that value with bonded NICs...
>
>> May I ask one thing here,
>
> Well, not here, maybe in a new thread, don't you think? Hijacking other's
> postings is not nice ;-)
"Hijacking" is a big word for me to afford, sorry to just take a lift there.

> (editing the subject...)
>
>> Last time I tried the icedove but don't know how to set the SMTP for
>> hotmail one.
>
> http://email.about.com/od/accessinghotmail/f/Windows_Live_Hotmail_SMTP_Settings.htm

Thanks for the URL you provided, actually last time I met this webpage.

Mine windows live email address is a bit different, not ends up with
the traditional one like .hotmail or something like this. It's
associated with some other things.

I will check further and see (mostly the same as last time, not solved
and put aside).

the icedove is smart, the gmail is autoconfigured.

Thanks,

Old 09-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 20:42:30 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> May I ask one thing here,
>>
>> Well, not here, maybe in a new thread, don't you think? Hijacking
>> other's postings is not nice ;-)

> "Hijacking" is a big word for me to afford, sorry to just take a lift
> there.

Don't get it wrong :-)

The term "hijacking" when used for mailing list threads is a common slang
to indicate that someone has replied to a post and changed the main topic:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thread%20hijacking

>>> Last time I tried the icedove but don't know how to set the SMTP for
>>> hotmail one.
>>
>> http://email.about.com/od/accessinghotmail/f/Windows_Live_Hotmail_SMTP_Settings.htm
>
> Thanks for the URL you provided, actually last time I met this webpage.
>
> Mine windows live email address is a bit different, not ends up with the
> traditional one like .hotmail or something like this. It's associated
> with some other things.
>
> I will check further and see (mostly the same as last time, not solved
> and put aside).

Then you should read the FAQ of your former e-mail server provider for
setting up smtp service :-?

> the icedove is smart, the gmail is autoconfigured.

Yep, but remember you can always use a manual setup to configure your
accounts.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-04-2011, 01:28 PM
lina

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 20:42:30 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (...)

>>> Well, not here, maybe in a new thread, don't you think? Hijacking
>>> other's postings is not nice ;-)
>
>> "Hijacking" is a big word for me to afford, sorry to just take a lift
>> there.
>
> Don't get it wrong :-)
>
> The term "hijacking" when used for mailing list threads is a common slang
> to indicate that someone has replied to a post and changed the main topic:
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thread%20hijacking

Thanks, I really know so little.

>>> http://email.about.com/od/accessinghotmail/f/Windows_Live_Hotmail_SMTP_Settings.htm
>>
>> Thanks for the URL you provided, actually last time I met this webpage.
>>
>> Mine windows live email address is a bit different, not ends up with the
>> traditional one like .hotmail or something like this. It's associated
>> with some other things.
>>
>> I will check further and see (mostly the same as last time, not solved
>> and put aside).
>
> Then you should read the FAQ of your former e-mail server provider for
> setting up smtp service :-?
They only provided some typical one, last time I also adapt the
thunderbird one,
did not work.

>> the icedove is smart, the gmail is autoconfigured.

A bit unexpected, by browser, my gmail for debian mailing list I only
kept recent 1610 emails (around).
but the icedove was busy downloading, reached 6 thousands and more.

Frankly speaking, I removed the icedove again.

and back to check emails on iceweasle.

It's a better choice for me I guess.

Thanks again,

Old 09-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 21:28:21 +0800, lina wrote:

>>> the icedove is smart, the gmail is autoconfigured.
>
> A bit unexpected, by browser, my gmail for debian mailing list I only
> kept recent 1610 emails (around).
> but the icedove was busy downloading, reached 6 thousands and more.
>
> Frankly speaking, I removed the icedove again.
>
> and back to check emails on iceweasle.
>
> It's a better choice for me I guess.

Before setting up your Gmail account to use it with your e-mail client
you should first "clean up" your inbox/folders because you can have
stored there thousand of messages that can take very long to download.

Were you using POP3 or IMAP to get your Gmail's e-mails in Icedove?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-04-2011, 02:34 PM
lina

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> A bit unexpected, by browser, my gmail for debian mailing list I only
>> kept recent 1610 emails (around).
>> but the icedove was busy downloading, reached 6 thousands and more.
>>
>> Frankly speaking, I removed the icedove again.
>>
>> and back to check emails on iceweasle.
>>
>> It's a better choice for me I guess.
>
> Before setting up your Gmail account to use it with your e-mail client
> you should first "clean up" your inbox/folders because you can have

inbox/folders ?

I have inbox and different folders ( folders are not in the inbox directory).

clean up?

> stored there thousand of messages that can take very long to download.
>
> Were you using POP3 or IMAP to get your Gmail's e-mails in Icedove?

IMAP.

P.S Before I tried the icedove,
mainly just wanna download thousands of emails from windows live
account to backup (It's kind of "official" email box I used for
years).
Right now I wonder I maybe do backup in different machine, such as use
outlook. will try another time.

Thanks again,

Old 09-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 22:34:09 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Before setting up your Gmail account to use it with your e-mail client
>> you should first "clean up" your inbox/folders because you can have
>
> inbox/folders ?

Yes. If you have all of your messages stored/archived in your inbox
Icedove will suffer to download/get all that amount of data.

It's better to have sub-folders so you can classify your e-mails and put
in there a small set of messages.

> I have inbox and different folders ( folders are not in the inbox
> directory).

Hum... are that Gmail default folders (sent/all/trash...) or have you
manually created them?

> clean up?

Yep :-)

Gmail has the strange ability to fill up very quickly and we tend to
forget to completely remove e-mails that we don't want anymore. It's the
price we have to pay in this "cloud-based" world: we forget about basic
maintenance and let the provider to do the "dirty" job.

>> stored there thousand of messages that can take very long to download.
>>
>> Were you using POP3 or IMAP to get your Gmail's e-mails in Icedove?
>
> IMAP.

Then arrange your inbox and let Ivecove to gather the data. The first
time will take some time but once it indexes and caches the folder it
will be quicker.

> P.S Before I tried the icedove,
> mainly just wanna download thousands of emails from windows live account
> to backup (It's kind of "official" email box I used for years).
> Right now I wonder I maybe do backup in different machine, such as use
> outlook. will try another time.

I guess Outlook will suffer for the same as Icedove (it will be slow).

But if you want to make a backup for a small set of messages, I think
there are specialized tools to achieve that task (e.g., gmail backup).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-04-2011, 03:19 PM
lina

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 22:34:09 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Before setting up your Gmail account to use it with your e-mail client
>>> you should first "clean up" your inbox/folders because you can have
>>
>> inbox/folders ?
>
> Yes. If you have all of your messages stored/archived in your inbox
> Icedove will suffer to download/get all that amount of data.
>
> It's better to have sub-folders so you can classify your e-mails and put
> in there a small set of messages.
>
>> I have inbox and different folders ( folders are not in the inbox
>> directory).
>
> Hum... are that Gmail default folders (sent/all/trash...) or have you
> manually created them?

In Gamil interface ( on browser) it has filters function.
Actually even I only touch the debian less than two years, but last 15
years I spent long time with Windows.
Shame, I still know so little after so many years passed.

>> clean up?
>
> Yep :-)

I cleaned nearly all.