Old 09-04-2011, 02:26 AM
David Roguin

Default multitouch

Hi,

I've succesfully installed Debian (wheezy) on a Macbook pro 8,1 and now the hard part is to make the hardware to work nicely
Currently, the touchpad works as a mouse with only one button and I'm trying to fix that following the wiki (http://wiki.debian.org/MacBookPro). I've installed mtrack (https://github.com/BlueDragonX/xf86-input-mtrack) as suggested, but It's not working properly, I'm not even sure if Xorg is loading the mtrack driver.

I was looking for any pointer to check if the module is being loaded or if any error is being thrown.

Thanks in advance!

--
David

Old 09-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 23:26:27 -0300, David Roguin wrote:

> I've succesfully installed Debian (wheezy) on a Macbook pro 8,1 and now
> the hard part is to make the hardware to work nicely Currently, the
> touchpad works as a mouse with only one button and I'm trying to fix
> that following the wiki (http://wiki.debian.org/MacBookPro). I've
> installed mtrack (https://github.com/BlueDragonX/xf86-input-mtrack) as
> suggested, but It's not working properly, I'm not even sure if Xorg is

Did you also configure Xorg to use that driver?

> I was looking for any pointer to check if the module is being loaded or
> if any error is being thrown.

I would check Xorg's log ("grep -i mtrack /var/log/Xorg.0.log") because I
guess that driver it should be part of the Xorg's stack and not loaded as
standalone module.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-04-2011, 06:27 PM
David Roguin

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 23:26:27 -0300, David Roguin wrote:

> I've succesfully installed Debian (wheezy) on a Macbook pro 8,1 and now

> the hard part is to make the hardware to work nicely Currently, the

> touchpad works as a mouse with only one button and I'm trying to fix

> that following the wiki (http://wiki.debian.org/MacBookPro). I've

> installed mtrack (https://github.com/BlueDragonX/xf86-input-mtrack) as

> suggested, but It's not working properly, I'm not even sure if Xorg is

Did you also configure Xorg to use that driver?

Yeap, I'm using the basic configuration proposed by the authors. Here's the content of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "InputClass"

*** MatchIsTouchpad "on"
*** Identifier***** "Touchpads"
*** Driver********* "mtrack"
EndSection

> I was looking for any pointer to check if the module is being loaded or

> if any error is being thrown.

I would check Xorg's log ("grep -i mtrack /var/log/Xorg.0.log") because I

guess that driver it should be part of the Xorg's stack and not loaded as

standalone module.

There's nothing related to mtrack on the X log, I'm not even sure if X is parsing that conf file.

Cheers,
--
David

Old 09-05-2011, 02:15 AM
David Roguin

So far I've noticed that the modules were installed on /usr/local/lib instead of /usr/lib; I've corrected that and also added this to the xorg.conf:

Section "Modules"
** Load "mtrack"

EndSection

Now Xorg actually loads the module:
[* 2061.816] (II) LoadModule: "mtrack"
[* 2061.816] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/mtrack_drv.so
[* 2061.816] (II) Module mtrack: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

but it still not working. I've read the whole thread on the ubuntuforums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1730361) but nothing from there was really helpful.

--
David

Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 23:15:43 -0300, David Roguin wrote:

> So far I've noticed that the modules were installed on /usr/local/lib
> instead of /usr/lib; I've corrected that and also added this to the
> xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Modules"
> Load "mtrack"
> EndSection
>
> Now Xorg actually loads the module:
> [ 2061.816] (II) LoadModule: "mtrack"
> [ 2061.816] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/mtrack_drv.so
> [ 2061.816] (II) Module mtrack: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

Good :-)

> but it still not working. I've read the whole thread on the ubuntuforums
> ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1730361) but nothing from
> there was really helpful.

Ouch.

I'm afraid I can't be of any help here because I don't use that driver ;-
( Let's see if someone else can provide additional tips for setting up
the touchpad.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón