Old 09-04-2011, 10:03 AM
lina

Default DO NOT BUY Western Digital "Green" Drives (also present in WD "Elements" external USB cases)

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2011 3:23 AM, "Miles Bader" <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> writes:
>> > just guess ... *might be wrong, might lots of people coming for WD,
>> > so the stores only sold WD.
>>
>> Dunno, but I've had extremely good experiences with WD drives in the
>> past, so I'd definitely favor them when I buy a new one...
>
> I have absolutely no oppinion. I was merely pointing out that the OP was
> presenting his oppinion as fact and I thought that pretty messed up.
>
> Grented, due to the inciteful the subject was, I'm sure this thread will
> keep going for at least a week and most of us will remember something bad
> about WD the next time we go buy a disc. Oh well. The OP probably* got his
> wish

what does OP mean?

--
Best Regards,

lina

Old 09-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Mihira Fernando

On Sunday 04 September 2011 3:33:15 pm lina wrote:

> what does OP mean?

IF you meant the abbreviation, OP stands for Original Poster. The person who
started the whole thread in question.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Scott Ferguson

just guess ... �might be wrong, might lots of people coming for WD,
so the stores only sold WD.

Dunno, but I've had extremely good experiences with WD drives in the
past, so I'd definitely favor them when I buy a new one...

I have absolutely no oppinion. I was merely pointing out that the OP was
presenting his oppinion as fact and I thought that pretty messed up.

Grented, due to the inciteful the subject was, I'm sure this thread will
keep going for at least a week and most of us will remember something bad
about WD the next time we go buy a disc. Oh well. The OP probably� got his
wish

what does OP mean?

Original Poster

Cheers

--
"I don't know how you deal with these winters - I don't get it. I was
here last winter, one of the days I was here it was 3 below zero, no

— Bill Hicks

Archive: 4E635A18.8000905@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E635A18.8000905@gmail.com

Old 09-04-2011, 11:11 AM
lina

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Scott Ferguson
<prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/09/11 20:03, lina wrote:

>>> I have absolutely no oppinion. I was merely pointing out that the OP was
>>> presenting his oppinion as fact and I thought that pretty messed up.
>>>
>>> Grented, due to the inciteful the subject was, I'm sure this thread will
>>> keep going for at least a week and most of us will remember something bad
>>> about WD the next time we go buy a disc. Oh well. The OP probably� got
>>> his
>>> wish
>>
>> what does OP mean?
>
> Original Poster

Thanks.

> Cheers
>
> --
> "I don't know how you deal with these winters - I don't get it. I was here
> last winter, one of the days I was here it was 3 below zero, no wind chill.
> A little nippy.
> It's kind of fun though in that weather, going outdoors and watching smokers
> pass out 'cause they don't know when they're done exhaling."
> — Bill Hicks

Best Regards,

lina

Old 09-04-2011, 11:53 AM
D G Teed

> > just guess ... *might be wrong, might lots of people coming for WD,

> > so the stores only sold WD.

> Dunno, but I've had extremely good experiences with WD drives in the

> past, so I'd definitely favor them when I buy a new one...

I have absolutely no oppinion. I was merely pointing out that the OP was presenting his oppinion as fact and I thought that pretty messed up.

Grented, due to the inciteful the subject was, I'm sure this thread will keep going for at least a week and most of us will remember something bad about WD the next time we go buy a disc. Oh well. The OP probably* got his wish

Well, actually, you have all helped that to happen by broadening the topic. *It wasn't about a brand, but abouta brand and model type specifically. *This is about Green WD drives, not all WD drives.

Before buying anything important to you, or something you don't want to buy all over againbecause you are careful with money, you should research the consumer reaction or solicit opinions on it.

I researched the green drives from all makers and learned they are engineered to do one thing well: savepower while in a desktop not in use. *They are not designed for servers, nor even for*intense computing
use like gaming or RAID. *I also noticed consumer backlash on all green drives, and cheaper pricing ongreen drives than any other kind (fire sale at some retailers). *So I did not buy green drives.

I have used WD blue SATA 1TB drives in a couple of servers with RAID 1 and*there is no problem.*The most intense server using them is running cyrus mail,and horde webmail, for about*3000 mailboxes and probably 500 users
visiting their mailboxes every day. *The horde*webmail on there also servesusers of another cyrus system with 4000 more active*mailboxes on it.The system is backed up nightly with EMC networker, and runs
in a room with air conditioning. *Right now, early on a Sunday morning, the load isonly .35 and the hard drive internal temperature from smartctl is 37 C. *I imagineit does go above 40 when loaded or under full backup duty.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011, Mike Castle wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <luke.leighton@gmail.com> wrote:
> > just a word of warning: on absolutely no account, not for any reason,
> > should you buy WD "Green" drives.
> >
> > i've just spent a hair-raising 6 weeks discovering that these drives,
> > when pushed above a mere 40 Centigrade, become so unstable that they
> > can actually become completely unresponsive, shut down, and leave the
> > linux kernel in a completely unstable state, especially if they are
> > part of a RAID1 mirror.
>
> For what it's worth, WD _does_ say not to use Green drives in RAID and such.
>
> http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1397

They do so because the drive can take arbritarily long times to complete a
request when it faces any media issues or firmware snafu's, and most RAID
can't cope well with that (md can, but you *have* to set up the
per-backing-device timeouts properly).

If the drives are dying from overheat, that's something else entirely.

However, do NOT do anything as foolhardy as trusting the firmware on those
devices to actually be able to handle SMART attribute read requests properly
doing intensive IO (or the kernel, or the SATA HBA). Stuff like running
hddtemp once a minute is a very bad idea.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 09-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Doug

> > just guess ... *might be wrong, might lots of people
coming for WD,

> > so the stores only sold WD.

> Dunno, but I've had extremely good experiences with WD
drives in the

> past, so I'd definitely favor them when I buy a new one...

I have absolutely no oppinion. I was merely pointing out that
the OP was presenting his oppinion as fact and I thought that
pretty messed up.

Grented, due to the inciteful the subject was, I'm sure this
thread will keep going for at least a week and most of us will
remember something bad about WD the next time we go buy a disc.
Oh well. The OP probably* got his wish

It's been a few years since I retired, but I remember the IT guys
replacing a _lot_ of Western Digital drives.* I guess the

company bought them because they were cheaper, but I don't think
they saved any money.* For my own use, I have been using Seagate and

Hitachi, and have had no trouble in quite some time.* Obviously,
YMMV, but what I saw sould not encourage me to buy WD.

--doug