Old 09-03-2011, 10:13 AM
lina

Default How to set up the portable hard drive

Hi,

I don't know how to set up the portable hard drive (external one).

I failed to drag (copy) things into it.

it showed me,
Error opening file '/media/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive/fulltext.pdf':
Permission denied

but I can drag things out.

:/media$ ls -l FreeAgent GoFlex Drive/
total 36172
-rw------- 1 lina lina 170 Jan 11 2010 Autorun.inf
-rw------- 1 lina lina 65643 Mar 18 2010 GoFlex.ico
-rw------- 2 lina lina 36806329 Feb 16 2011 Mac Installer.dmg
drwx------ 1 lina lina 0 Aug 10 20:01 Seagate
-rw------- 1 lina lina 156312 Jan 16 2009 Setup.exe
drwx------ 1 lina lina 0 Aug 10 20:01 System Volume Information
drwx------ 1 lina lina 4096 Aug 10 20:01 UserGuides

I tried chmod a+x and a+w still not work.

and once newly plugged into, it showed as before (unchanged).

There are some .dmg and .exe which I do not plan to try and install in
respective OS.

Can I remove them all?

how do I reformat it?

Thanks for any suggestions, (no need very intelligent set up, just
basic one, so I can use it to backup.)

lina

P.S The filesystem type is ntfs, while the debian file system I guess
I used ext4.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 18:13:58 +0800, lina wrote:

> I don't know how to set up the portable hard drive (external one).
>
> I failed to drag (copy) things into it.
>
> it showed me,
> Error opening file '/media/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive/fulltext.pdf':
> Permission denied
>
> but I can drag things out.
>
> :/media$ ls -l FreeAgent GoFlex Drive/
> total 36172
> -rw------- 1 lina lina 170 Jan 11 2010 Autorun.inf
> -rw------- 1 lina lina 65643 Mar 18 2010 GoFlex.ico
> -rw------- 2 lina lina 36806329 Feb 16 2011 Mac Installer.dmg
> drwx------ 1 lina lina 0 Aug 10 20:01 Seagate
> -rw------- 1 lina lina 156312 Jan 16 2009 Setup.exe
> drwx------ 1 lina lina 0 Aug 10 20:01 System Volume Information
> drwx------ 1 lina lina 4096 Aug 10 20:01 UserGuides

(...)

Run "mount" and put here the result.

> I tried chmod a+x and a+w still not work.
>
> and once newly plugged into, it showed as before (unchanged).
>
> There are some .dmg and .exe which I do not plan to try and install in
> respective OS.
>
> Can I remove them all?

Those are files for managing the drive unit in windows and mac, I guess.
They can be drivers and/or backup utilities you are not going to use in
linux. Make a full copy of all of them so you can safely remove.

> how do I reformat it?

Using gparted, parted, cfdisk... as usual :-)

> Thanks for any suggestions, (no need very intelligent set up, just basic
> one, so I can use it to backup.)

Then use a most suitable filesystem format, such as ext3/ext4/reiserfs/
xfs... YMMV.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 AM
lina

> (...)
>
> Run "mount" and put here the result.
/dev/sdb1 on /media/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive type ntfs
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmas k=0177,uhelper=udisks)

>> I tried chmod a+x and a+w still not work.
>>
>> and once newly plugged into, it showed as before (unchanged).
>>
>> There are some .dmg and .exe which I do not plan to try and install in
>> respective OS.
>>
>> Can I remove them all?
>
> Those are files for managing the drive unit in windows and mac, I guess.
> They can be drivers and/or backup utilities you are not going to use in
> linux. Make a full copy of all of them so you can safely remove.
>
>> how do I reformat it?
>
> Using gparted, parted, cfdisk... as usual :-)

I have never used above gparted, parted, cfdisk, I will check now.

>> Thanks for any suggestions, (no need very intelligent set up, just basic
>> one, so I can use it to backup.)
>
> Then use a most suitable filesystem format, such as ext3/ext4/reiserfs/
> xfs... YMMV.

Which one is the best choice, better can be used both in linux and Mac.

another question, do you know why my
System -> Shutdown --> all the characters changed to square, the same
size hallow square, I just updated the system today.

Thanks again,