FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-03-2011, 03:01 AM
jeremy jozwik
 
Default more woes with my debian install: booting edition

for those who are not fallowing, i last posted to the list about not
being able to see anything on my machine past the debian squeeze
install menu.
well that was solved a few days ago. and since then i had been able to
boot my machine into debian several times [possibly 6 at most]

todays issue is a flashing underscore after the grub bootloaded
bootloads the debian image.
i had selected the recovery option, just to see what would happen.
the post messages stopped at performance events: amd pmu driver and
some important stuff was listed after that. honestly i tried
understanding it but all i can get from the messages is that the cpus
did not initialize?

please see image below.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/godblessbotox/6107490431/in/photostream

i would appreciate any help that can be offered in the matter, i want
to go back to using debian...


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAN=ioVnwapJs=Jyqm-8EnELTD4vx-J8Yu_Rdt2W6b+MkPvJ=7w@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAN=ioVnwapJs=Jyqm-8EnELTD4vx-J8Yu_Rdt2W6b+MkPvJ=7w@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 09-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Mark Neidorff
 
Default more woes with my debian install: booting edition

On Friday 02 September 2011 11:01:56 pm jeremy jozwik wrote:
> for those who are not fallowing, i last posted to the list about not
> being able to see anything on my machine past the debian squeeze
> install menu.
> well that was solved a few days ago. and since then i had been able to
> boot my machine into debian several times [possibly 6 at most]
>
> todays issue is a flashing underscore after the grub bootloaded
> bootloads the debian image.
> i had selected the recovery option, just to see what would happen.
> the post messages stopped at performance events: amd pmu driver and
> some important stuff was listed after that. honestly i tried
> understanding it but all i can get from the messages is that the cpus
> did not initialize?
>
> please see image below.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/godblessbotox/6107490431/in/photostream
>
> i would appreciate any help that can be offered in the matter, i want
> to go back to using debian...

The screen picture that you posted doesn't show an error message, but it also
doesn't show the entire video output. Can you resize the video output on the
monitor to show everything? (I'm looking for a "#" prompt at the bottom left
corner of the screen which would mean that linux booted properly and is
waiting for your command.

I'm also not clear about if you are ever able to boot normally into linux, or
if the computer is totally unbootable.

Mark


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109030720.44031.mark@neidorff.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109030720.44031.mark@neidorff.com
 
Old 09-03-2011, 12:20 PM
jeremy jozwik
 
Default more woes with my debian install: booting edition

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Mark Neidorff <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:
> The screen picture that you posted doesn't show an error message, but it also
> doesn't show the entire video output. *Can you resize the video output on the
> monitor to show everything? *(I'm looking for a "#" prompt at the bottom left
> corner of the screen which would mean that linux booted properly and is
> waiting for your command.

right, there is no ACTUAL error that i can see. nor is there anything
more in the monitors output. [LCD]. also i only got any of that
because i booted from grub with the recovery mode option. otherwise
after the grub portion of the boot sequence all i can see is a
flashing _ _ _ _
forever...

> I'm also not clear about if you are ever able to boot normally into linux, or
> if the computer is totally unbootable.
>
> Mark

i have been having issues with the debian install for a while. every
option in the install menu would result in a hanging black screen.
that is until i got a response from the mailinglist, tried to install
again and it worked. changed nothing in the steps i took during and
leading up to the install.

after the install i got about 6 or 7 happy boot ups into the debian
os. even installed cinelerra.

now i cannot boot into it. gparted livecd will boot up, which did not
happen during the install woes i was having.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAN=ioVka6V1+rcM=WmLxMS7tMXUJV-XPHtT-NabpPaCfpGVSPw@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAN=ioVka6V1+rcM=WmLxMS7tMXUJV-XPHtT-NabpPaCfpGVSPw@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 09-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Mark Neidorff
 
Default more woes with my debian install: booting edition

On Saturday 03 September 2011 8:20:29 am jeremy jozwik wrote:
>
> right, there is no ACTUAL error that i can see. nor is there anything
> more in the monitors output. [LCD]. also i only got any of that
> because i booted from grub with the recovery mode option. otherwise
> after the grub portion of the boot sequence all i can see is a
> flashing _ _ _ _
> forever...
>
> > I'm also not clear about if you are ever able to boot normally into
> > linux, or if the computer is totally unbootable.
> >
> > Mark
>
> i have been having issues with the debian install for a while. every
> option in the install menu would result in a hanging black screen.
> that is until i got a response from the mailinglist, tried to install
> again and it worked. changed nothing in the steps i took during and
> leading up to the install.
>
> after the install i got about 6 or 7 happy boot ups into the debian
> os. even installed cinelerra.
>
> now i cannot boot into it. gparted livecd will boot up, which did not
> happen during the install woes i was having.

Hmmm.....OK. I didn't see your first posts, so lets do some basic stuff.
1. Did you do a media check (sha1sum or whatever) on the install CD?
2. Can you please state what your PC specs are for CPU, RAM, video and
interfaces? (IDE, USB, etc) Does the CD that you downloaded match your
hardware specs?
3. What evidence do you have that the PC hardware is not at fault?
4. Have you tried a complete reinstall?

Mark


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109031145.55086.mark@neidorff.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109031145.55086.mark@neidorff.com
 
Old 09-03-2011, 08:53 PM
jeremy jozwik
 
Default more woes with my debian install: booting edition

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Mark Neidorff <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:
> Hmmm.....OK. *I didn't see your first posts, so lets do some basic stuff.

thats ok, thanks for the help!

> 1. Did you do a media check (sha1sum or whatever) on the install CD?

nope. though during my troubleshooting of debian 6.0.2 i used my
"known to be working" debian 5.0.2 install disk and received the same
results. black screen after installer menu.

> 2. Can you please state what your PC specs are for CPU, RAM, video and
> interfaces? *(IDE, USB, etc) *Does the CD that you downloaded match your
> hardware specs?

dual dual core amd opteron 2.6ghz 64 bit
tyan s2915 main board
12 gig ram
nvidia quadro 5600 vid card
3 sata drives, boot drive partitioned with half windows XP 64bit and
half debian squeeze < --- operating system with errors.
yes, i downloaded the amd64 arch.

> 3. What evidence do you have that the PC hardware is not at fault?

windows runs 100% fine. gparted boots from live cd, in the process of
testing a unbuntu usb live os.

> 4. Have you tried a complete reinstall?

no, install leads to hanging black screen infinity after install menu
option is chosen.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAN=ioVn3u-x6TL_eeqJr1A6g1bun489HR37gPxisQNNCABMicQ@mail.gmai l.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAN=ioVn3u-x6TL_eeqJr1A6g1bun489HR37gPxisQNNCABMicQ@mail.gmai l.com
 
Old 09-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Mark Neidorff
 
Default more woes with my debian install: booting edition

On Saturday 03 September 2011 4:53:02 pm jeremy jozwik wrote:
> > 1. Did you do a media check (sha1sum or whatever) on the install CD?
>
> nope. though during my troubleshooting of debian 6.0.2 i used my
> "known to be working" debian 5.0.2 install disk and received the same
> results. black screen after installer menu.
>

My current suspect list for your problems:
Bad CD
Incompatible version (64 bit) for your video card.
Bad CD drive.

OK. here are suggestions to eliminate 2 possible sources of problems?
First, test the CD.
Second, can you get to the point where you choose the installation mode? If
so, can you select a non-graphical(text) mode install? Does that work? The
fact that you can get the gpartd CD to boot is a good sign.
Thirdd, download and try a 32 bit CD. I recall seeing some problems with some
video cards and the 64 bit distro. I looked up your card, it is 4 years old,
and should be well supported, but you just don't know.

Another thought:
Do you have a different CD drive available? Can you beg/borrow one to see if
the drive is faulty?

> > 2. Can you please state what your PC specs are for CPU, RAM, video and
> > interfaces? (IDE, USB, etc) Does the CD that you downloaded match your
> > hardware specs?
>
> dual dual core amd opteron 2.6ghz 64 bit
> tyan s2915 main board
> 12 gig ram
> nvidia quadro 5600 vid card
> 3 sata drives, boot drive partitioned with half windows XP 64bit and
> half debian squeeze < --- operating system with errors.
> yes, i downloaded the amd64 arch.

Nice and high end.

Here, I run into my limit of being able to help you. I have no experience
with dual CPU installations. It **shouldn't matter** (TM), but it is another
variable to explore.

>
> > 3. What evidence do you have that the PC hardware is not at fault?
>
> windows runs 100% fine. gparted boots from live cd, in the process of
> testing a unbuntu usb live os.
>
> > 4. Have you tried a complete reinstall?
>
> no, install leads to hanging black screen infinity after install menu
> option is chosen.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109040908.51056.mark@neidorff.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109040908.51056.mark@neidorff.com
 
Old 09-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Lisi
 
Default more woes with my debian install: booting edition

On Saturday 03 September 2011 04:01:56 jeremy jozwik wrote:
> todays issue is a flashing underscore after the grub bootloaded
> bootloads the debian image.

I wonder whether your image is for some reason misregistering on the monitor
and moving too far to the left? You *should* get a flashing underscore after
booting into recovery mode, and it is the signal to enter your root password.
Have you tried that?

If so, have you tried adjusting your monitor so that the image moves to the
right?

Both of these would be worth trying, and reporting back on.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109041606.30786.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109041606.30786.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:15 PM
jeremy jozwik
 
Default more woes with my debian install: booting edition

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Mark Neidorff <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:
> My current suspect list for your problems:
> Bad CD
> Incompatible version (64 bit) for your video card.
> Bad CD drive.

things get interesting now. while talking to a buddy about this issue
he wanted me to humor him by trying a unbuntu install. first try i got
the same black screen nothing happening deal that i get with debian.
but! while searching around on how to fix things like that in unbuntu
i discovered the F6 menu, install options. trial and error got me to
find ACPI=OFF which got the install to actually show.

so i went into my bios and disabled ACPI, debian actually gets into
the install. not only that but its actually boots into debian!
... only just. the video display is stuck at something horrible like
800x### with no other options then 640x###. likewise debian cannot
read my monitor or detect the secondary one.

both of these were possible in the very first time debian installed.
the time when i went so far as to install other programs. both my dell
monitors showed and were able to display in there native 1024+
resolutions.

once i turn ACPI back to on, nothing works again.

> OK. *here are suggestions *to eliminate 2 possible sources of problems?
> First, test the CD.

i have a second cd rom... but its less reliable then the one
installed to the machine!

> Second, can you get to the point where you choose the installation mode? *If
> so, can you select a non-graphical(text) mode install? *Does that work? *The
> fact that you can get the gpartd CD to boot is a good sign.
> Thirdd, download and try a 32 bit CD. *I recall seeing some problems with some
> video cards and the 64 bit distro. *I looked up your card, it is 4 years old,
> and should be well supported, but you just don't know.

> Nice and high end.

slow by CGI workstation standards...

> Here, I run into my limit of being able to help you. *I have no experience
> with dual CPU installations. *It **shouldn't matter** (TM), but it is another
> variable to explore.

while mucking about on the internet i have come across this page[1].
and its important parts:

"Beware: Two Versions of Tyan n6650w (S2915 and S2915-E)

The early release of the Tyan Thunder n6650W (called S2915) only
supported the second generation dual-core 2200-series (or 8000-series)
processors. There were numerous problems associated with the BIOS
(ver. 1.00). Since then Tyan has fixed all known problems; and then,
they released the new version (S2915-E).

Without being aware of this, I previously obtained the S2915 (about a
year ago) thinking that it supported quad-core processors. My mistake
for not checking Tyan web site prior to purchasing it, but because I
found it cheap on eBay, as in retrospect I was sure the previous owner
tried to get rid of it. I encountered various problems from not being
able to successfully boot into Linux to BIOS configuration issues that
underrated the CPU performance. In fact, without knowing the support
issue, I first tried to put two quad-core processors only to find out
the system did not boot.

Originally, I used two dual-core 2216 (2.6GHz) and found various
strange inconsistent benchmark scores by SiSoft Sandra XII (2008). The
CPU's Arithmetic and Multimedia scores were so low that I was forced
to suspect they were due to software compatibility. Strangely enough,
I played around with the BIOS, setting different multiprocessor
specification, including ECC options, Hammer HT setting as well as OS
installed preference. The benchmark scores yielded differently for
each test. One instance, the score yielded "


On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder whether your image is for some reason misregistering on the monitor
> and moving too far to the left? You *should* get a flashing underscore after
> booting into recovery mode, and it is the signal to enter your root password.
> Have you tried that?

that is 100% my fail as a photographer. there is a flashing _ _ _ _
at the bottom left, but no keyboard inputs seem to make a bit of
difference.

> If so, have you tried adjusting your monitor so that the image moves to the
> right?

LCD = no adjustments.

thanks a lot for help on this very annoying issue. i do appreciate it.

[1]http://www.epinions.com/review/Tyan_Thunder_n6650W_S2915_E_Workstation_Board_nVID IA_Socket_F_1207_1000MHz_HT_64GB_DDR_Motherboard/content_471274262148


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAN=ioV=Ygr3jZ15v00TJRrOKCpqenTJ8i3m6PNpiUSSAhKr6q A@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAN=ioV=Ygr3jZ15v00TJRrOKCpqenTJ8i3m6PNpiUSSAhKr6q A@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 09-04-2011, 07:08 PM
jeremy jozwik
 
Default more woes with my debian install: booting edition

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 10:15 AM, jeremy jozwik <jerjoz.forums@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks a lot for help on this very annoying issue. i do appreciate it.

kids, always update your bios.
all problems solved for the moment.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAN=ioVk4116sfXqRa3hbUGNcd7X69sjbPx_aPS=CuJUfuSAjR w@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAN=ioVk4116sfXqRa3hbUGNcd7X69sjbPx_aPS=CuJUfuSAjR w@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 09-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Lisi
 
Default more woes with my debian install: booting edition

On Sunday 04 September 2011 18:15:00 jeremy jozwik wrote:
> LCD = no adjustments.

The CRT monitor I got rid of because I couldn't even pick it up, had as many
adjustments as my present TFT ones. :-/

> thanks a lot for help on this very annoying issue. i do appreciate it.


Sadly it wasn't much help though. :-(

It seemed worth a try. As one of the people on this list, Brad Rogers, says
in his signature: "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"

But I'm glad that your problem seems to be solved.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109042223.57115.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109042223.57115.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org