Old 09-02-2011, 06:47 PM

Default safe remote upload-only access

joe@jretrading.com wrote:

> First, how big might the files be? Email is an absolutely guaranteed
> one-way-only file transfer system,
<snip>

For the most part, the files are photographs -- dozens of them in every
batch. The present approach is to upload the photographs to a service
which provides prints, but allows viewing without charge.

> If email is not practical, is this of any use?
> http://sublimation.org/scponly/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It is in the Debian archive. I really do not wish to provide read
privileges, but perhaps the remote user can be fenced in, limited to a
particular directory.

I also just found the Debian package putty-tools.

Thanks,
RLH

Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Walter Hurry

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 13:02:14 -0500, rlharris wrote:

> What is a good, secure way to give a remote user on a Windows machine
> access to a Debian machine so that he may upload proprietary files every
> few days?
>
> The Debian machine is behind a router/firewall and has a dynamic ip
> address, but it does have a domain name registered with dyndns.com.
>
> The Debian machine is not running 24/7; but this is not a problem,
> because the transfer can be coordinated by a telephone call.
>
> The Windows user should not be allowed to browse the file system of the
> Debian machine. Giving him an account would allow him to browse the
> entire home directory.
>
> I have considered rsync, scp, and setting up a ftp server. My primary
> concern is safety of the Debian host.

How about something like Dropbox with a shared folder? (exclusive to the
two of you; not public). Then the remote user has no access at all to
your machine, can upload whenever he chooses, and the Debian machine will
sync as and when Dropbox is started.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Bob Proulx

rlharris@hal-pc.org wrote:
> What is a good, secure way to give a remote user on a Windows machine
> access to a Debian machine so that he may upload proprietary files
> every few days?
> I have considered rsync, scp, and setting up a ftp server. My primary
> concern is safety of the Debian host.

Here is one thought. I would write a small web form to be uploaded to
through https. Everything can do http these days. But that would
require some small amount of web development in order to put that in
place. But once done then it is simple to use for the windows user
since it is simply a web form upload and secure for your machine. The
advanced user can use wget/curl to automate uploads.

Here is another thought. I would have the ms-windows user use ftp to
upload the files into a blind drop directory. I would put the entire
thing into a chroot for extra security. Then add a checking task to
ensure that warez isn't uploaded there, basically just check that only
the expected files are there and report anything otherwise.
Supporting this takes someone to keep an eye on it but it isn't
difficult and is also quiet easy for others to use.

Bob