Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 PM
yudi v

Default Installing Nvida DKMS way, what's the difference between /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and /etc/X11/xorg.conf method?

Hi,

I am trying to understand the difference between the following two methods

First method
this taken from irc dpkg bot"aptitude -r install linux-headers-2.6-`uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'` nvidia-kernel-dkms && mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d ; echo -e 'Section "Device"
Identifier "My GPU"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection' > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf"

this uses the xord.conf.d directory but it also has /etc/X11/xorg.conf* file. What happens in this case?

second method taken form http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Installation-1

first two steps are same as above:

- install linux-headers
- then nvidia-kernel-dkms

the third and forth step differ:

3rd step:* Install the NVIDIA X driver and user-space libraries

how come this is missing in the first option?

4th step: Configure X to use the nvidia driver

Editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Which method should I use?

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 09-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 23:50:05 +1000, yudi v wrote:

> I am trying to understand the difference between the following two
> methods

(...)

I dunno what's better, I'm afraid that is very subjective and highly
dependant on other factors (for instance, there can be ocassions where
you need to get the lasest version of the nvidia driver and then the
only way for getting it is by compiling the package yourself...).

I can tell you what I did in my lenny box. I got the required packages
that matched my kernel version/flavour:

sm01@stt008:~$ dpkg -l |grep nvidia
ii nvidia-glx 173.14.09-5 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-2-amd64 173.14.09+3+lenny1 NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26
ii nvidia-kernel-common 20080825+1 NVIDIA binary kernel module common files

And then modified "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" file to instruct Xorg to use
nvidia driver. And that was all.

I guess what I did is called in the guide¹ "Install a pre-built module"
and it worked well, but this was lenny and things have changed a lot
since that...

¹http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Greg Madden

On Friday 02 September 2011 05:50:05 am yudi v wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to understand the difference between the following two methods
>
> *First method *
> this taken from irc dpkg bot
> "aptitude -r install linux-headers-2.6-`uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'`
> nvidia-kernel-dkms && mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d ; echo -e 'Section
> "Device"
Identifier "My GPU"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection' >
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf"
>
> this uses the xord.conf.d directory but it also has /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> file. What happens in this case?
>
> *second method* taken form
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Installation-1
>
> first two steps are same as above:
>
> - install linux-headers
> - then nvidia-kernel-dkms
>
> the third and forth step differ:
>
> 3rd step: Install the NVIDIA X driver and user-space libraries
>
> how come this is missing in the first option?
>

> 4th step: Configure X to use the nvidia
> driver<http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Configure_X_to_use_the_
>nvidia_driver>
>
> Editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Which method should I use?

Do you know 'sed' ? I do not cut/copy and paste code , I need to understand what I
am doing, so I keep it simple. Not that there is anything wrong with learning
sed :-)

My guess, the second method is closer to most users experiience level. Plus it
has a howto page.
--
Peace,

Greg

Old 09-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Wolodja Wentland

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 23:50 +1000, yudi v wrote:
> I am trying to understand the difference between the following two methods
>
> First method
> this taken from irc dpkg bot
> "aptitude -r install linux-headers-2.6-`uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'`
> nvidia-kernel-dkms && mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d ; echo -e 'Section "Device"

> tIdentifier "My GPU"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection' > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
> 20-nvidia.conf"
>
> this uses the xord.conf.d directory but it also has /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
> What happens in this case?

AFAICT this does not use a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, but a device specific
configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. Since Xorg in Squeeze configures
itself automagically it is (IMHO) preferred to manually configure just the
devices that you actually want to configure.

It might help if I break this command down for you:

1. aptitude -r install linux-headers-2.6-`uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'`

This installs the kernel headers which are needed to compile the nvidia
module. The `uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'` command will just expand to
your architecture:

$ uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'
amd64

nvidia-kernel-dkms

and this package contains/pulls-in the nvidia driver itself.

2. mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d ; echo -e 'Section "Device"

Identifier "My GPU"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection' >
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf"

This command will create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf file with
the following content:

Section "Device"
Identifier "My GPU"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

which configures Xorg to use the nvidia driver in lieu of the nouveau one.
--
Wolodja <babilen@gmail.com>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA 36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC

Old 09-03-2011, 08:57 AM
yudi v

Do you know 'sed' ?
*`uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'`* = 686 in my case, that' all sed's doing here.

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 09-03-2011, 09:04 AM
yudi v

AFAICT this does not use a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, but a device specific

configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. Since Xorg in Squeeze configures

itself automagically it is (IMHO) preferred to manually configure just the

devices that you actually want to configure.

It might help if I break this command down for you:

1. aptitude -r install linux-headers-2.6-`uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'`

* This installs the kernel headers which are needed to compile the nvidia

* module. The `uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'` command will just expand to

* your architecture:

* * * $ uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'

* * * amd64

* nvidia-kernel-dkms

* and this package contains/pulls-in the nvidia driver itself.
This is where the wiki gets confusing. It says I need to Install the NVIDIA X driver and user-space libraries - step 3.

I believe I read somewhere that the nvidia-kernel-dkms also installs the driver and user space libraries.

Is this step deprecated?
*

*2. mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d ; echo -e 'Section "Device"

* *Identifier "My GPU"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection' >

* */etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf"

* *This command will create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf file with

* *the following content:

* * * *Section "Device"

* * * * * *Identifier "My GPU"

* * * * * *Driver "nvidia"

* * * *EndSection

* *which configures Xorg to use the nvidia driver in lieu of the nouveau one.

file name "20-nvidia.conf" - is the name arbitrary or does it have to be that exact name?

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 09-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Wolodja Wentland

On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 19:04 +1000, yudi v wrote:

> This is where the wiki gets confusing. It says I need to Install the NVIDIA X
> driver and user-space libraries - step 3.
>
> I believe I read somewhere that the nvidia-kernel-dkms also installs the driver
> and user space libraries.
>
> Is this step deprecated?

To be honest: I find the wiki article to be quite confusing and unclear... or
rather way too long and, well, complete.

But to answer your question I would ask you to take a look at the
nvidia-kernel-dkms package and in particular its relations to other packages.
You will notice that it recommends nvidia-glx and the "-r" option of aptitude
will ensure that recommended packages are installed, which essentially means
that this single command installs the dkms module and the user-space
libraries.

> file name "20-nvidia.conf" - is the name arbitrary or does it have to be that
> exact name?

The name is arbitrary to a certain extent and the only invariant is that it *has*
to end in .conf to be used during the configuration. It is, however, a custom
to use a naming scheme such as:

NN-SECTION.conf
NN-DEVICE.conf

where NN is an arbitrary two digit number and SECTION or DEVICE are replaced
by the name of the section or device you are configuring in the given file.
The files themselves are read in alphanumerical order, such that a
10-synaptics.conf will be read before a 25-nvidia.conf and we strive to
maintain the order of the original xorg.conf. But don't worry: Just use your
favourite numbers and (who knows?) a 42-answer.conf might even unlock certain
easter eggs. (Sadly it does not).

Have a nice day and let me know if you need anything else. You can also pop
into #debian and ask me directly.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:20 PM
yudi v

Thanks for clarifying that.
One final question. What happens to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? It still exits.
--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 09-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Wolodja Wentland

On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 01:20 +1000, yudi v wrote:
> Thanks for clarifying that.
> One final question. What happens to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? It still
> exits.

Just delete or move it somewhere else. It is not needed anymore if all other
devices are configured correctly when it is missing.