Old 09-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Stephen Allen

Default ReInstall of System borked Admin Pwd for Apps

Hello.

For various reasons, needed to reinstall Debian Testing (Wheezy) on a flash drive formatted into 2 partitions. A system partition and one for HOME.

Since the install I'm no longer able to use Synaptic with my password (I enabled sudo in the Installer). I used the exact User name and Password as before during the reinstall.

It all works if I start Synaptic from the command-line using sudo. The same applies btw to all applications requiring the password for privileges. Don't think I've left out any details ...

What do I have to do to fix this?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:32 AM
darkestkhan

2011/9/1 Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com>:
> Hello.
>
> For various reasons, needed to reinstall Debian Testing (Wheezy) on a flash drive formatted into 2 partitions. A system partition and one for HOME.
>
> Since the install I'm no longer able to use Synaptic with my password (I enabled sudo in the Installer). I used the exact User name and Password as before during the reinstall.
>
> It all works if I start Synaptic from the command-line using sudo. The same applies btw to all applications requiring the password for privileges. Don't think I've left out any details ...
>
> What do I have to do to fix this?

check out /etc/sudoers if it contains all fields

darkestkhan

Old 09-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Stephen Allen

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 05:32:03AM +0000, darkestkhan wrote:
> 2011/9/1 Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com>:
> > Hello.

> > What do I have to do to fix this?

> check out /etc/sudoers if it contains all fields
---end quoted text---

It contains just 2 fields;

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
%sudo ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

It is sudoers that controls GUI access to applications requiring root access? Thought the keyring
+had something to do with that?

Old 09-03-2011, 11:32 AM
darkestkhan

2011/9/3 Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 05:32:03AM +0000, darkestkhan wrote:
>> 2011/9/1 Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com>:
>> > Hello.
>
>> > What do I have to do to fix this?
>

>> check out /etc/sudoers if it contains all fields
> ---end quoted text---
>
> It contains just 2 fields;
>
> * * * *# User privilege specification
> * * * *root * *ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
>
> * * * *# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
> * * * *%sudo * ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
>
> It is sudoers that controls GUI access to applications requiring root access? Thought the keyring
> +had something to do with that?

/etc/sudoers contains informations about who has rights to access root
level privileges (though I know it can do much more, like giving only
limited privileges)

at the bottom of /etc/sudoers you should have this line:
username ALL=(ALL) ALL

where username is the name of user that will have root level
privileges, so in my case it is like this:
darkestkhan ALL=(ALL) ALL

You will probably have to run in maintenance (or rescue, forgot how it
was called) mode, after that (or reboot) everything should work

darkestkhan

Old 09-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Stephen Allen

On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 11:32:00AM +0000, darkestkhan wrote:
> 2011/9/3 Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com>:

> > It contains just 2 fields;
> >
> > * * * *# User privilege specification
> > * * * *root * *ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
> >
> > * * * *# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
> > * * * *%sudo * ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
> >

> /etc/sudoers contains informations about who has rights to access root
> level privileges (though I know it can do much more, like giving only
> limited privileges)
>
> at the bottom of /etc/sudoers you should have this line:
> username ALL=(ALL) ALL
>
> where username is the name of user that will have root level
> privileges, so in my case it is like this:
> darkestkhan ALL=(ALL) ALL
>

> You will probably have to run in maintenance (or rescue, forgot how it
> was called) mode, after that (or reboot) everything should work
---end quoted text---

Cool. Thanks for the help.

Strange why that line isn't there aye?

Old 09-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Joe

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 19:48:33 -0400
Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 11:32:00AM +0000, darkestkhan wrote:
> > 2011/9/3 Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com>:
>
> > > It contains just 2 fields;
> > >
> > > * * * *# User privilege specification
> > > * * * *root * *ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
> > >
> > > * * * *# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
> > > * * * *%sudo * ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
> > >

> > /etc/sudoers contains informations about who has rights to access
> > root level privileges (though I know it can do much more, like
> > giving only limited privileges)
> >
> > at the bottom of /etc/sudoers you should have this line:
> > username ALL=(ALL) ALL
> >
> > where username is the name of user that will have root level
> > privileges, so in my case it is like this:
> > darkestkhan ALL=(ALL) ALL
> >

> > You will probably have to run in maintenance (or rescue, forgot how
> > it was called) mode, after that (or reboot) everything should work
> ---end quoted text---
>
> Cool. Thanks for the help.
>
> Strange why that line isn't there aye?

Sudo in sid has just been updated to a version with a different
sudoers file format. Those who opted for a new configuration file got
the empty one quoted above, those who opted to keep theirs kept their
own additions to the old one. The latter also ended up with a sudo which
couldn't see sbin and the lower level sbins, which then stopped further
updates from working under sudo... possibly a changelog would have been
in order?

The clean new sudoers was also provided (as the .dpkg-dist file), so it
wasn't too hard to combine the two (clue: the Defaults secure_path
configuration is necessary to restore the path to include the sbins).

--
Joe

Old 09-04-2011, 08:04 AM
darkestkhan

2011/9/3 Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 11:32:00AM +0000, darkestkhan wrote:
>> 2011/9/3 Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com>:
>
>> > It contains just 2 fields;
>> >
>> > * * * *# User privilege specification
>> > * * * *root * *ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
>> >
>> > * * * *# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
>> > * * * *%sudo * ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
>> >

>> /etc/sudoers contains informations about who has rights to access root
>> level privileges (though I know it can do much more, like giving only
>> limited privileges)
>>
>> at the bottom of /etc/sudoers you should have this line:
>> username ALL=(ALL) ALL
>>
>> where username is the name of user that will have root level
>> privileges, so in my case it is like this:
>> darkestkhan ALL=(ALL) ALL
>>

>> You will probably have to run in maintenance (or rescue, forgot how it
>> was called) mode, after that (or reboot) everything should work
> ---end quoted text---
>
> Cool. Thanks for the help.
>
> Strange why that line isn't there aye?

Well, probably because maintainers can't be sure about which user
should have root level privileges, so it has actualized file without
asking question whether it should do so (this one is because of
synaptic, can't blame it - most (nontechnical) users won't notice
those changes, and in most cases system doesn't brake). As I'm
updating from command line I got information about changes in
/etc/sudoers but I decided to handle this manually as tool for merging
changes in config files is not too helpful (but it could be, arch and
gentoo are doing much better in this aspect)

darkestkhan

Old 09-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Stephen Allen

On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 09:03:38AM +0100, Joe wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 19:48:33 -0400
> Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Cool. Thanks for the help.
> >
> > Strange why that line isn't there aye?
> >

> Sudo in sid has just been updated to a version with a different
> sudoers file format. Those who opted for a new configuration file got
> the empty one quoted above, those who opted to keep theirs kept their
> own additions to the old one. The latter also ended up with a sudo which
> couldn't see sbin and the lower level sbins, which then stopped further
> updates from working under sudo... possibly a changelog would have been
> in order?
>
> The clean new sudoers was also provided (as the .dpkg-dist file), so it
> wasn't too hard to combine the two (clue: the Defaults secure_path
> configuration is necessary to restore the path to include the sbins).
>
> --
> Joe
--end quoted text--

Thanks for the explanation.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Stephen Allen

On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 08:04:20AM +0000, darkestkhan wrote:
> 2011/9/3 Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com>:
> > On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 11:32:00AM +0000, darkestkhan wrote:

> >> /etc/sudoers contains informations about who has rights to access root
> >> level privileges (though I know it can do much more, like giving only
> >> limited privileges)
> >>
> >> at the bottom of /etc/sudoers you should have this line:
> >> username ALL=(ALL) ALL
> >>
> >> where username is the name of user that will have root level
> >> privileges, so in my case it is like this:
> >> darkestkhan ALL=(ALL) ALL
> >>

> >> You will probably have to run in maintenance (or rescue, forgot how it
> >> was called) mode, after that (or reboot) everything should work
> > ---end quoted text---
> >
> > Cool. Thanks for the help.
> >
> > Strange why that line isn't there aye?
> >

> Well, probably because maintainers can't be sure about which user
> should have root level privileges, so it has actualized file without
> asking question whether it should do so (this one is because of
> synaptic, can't blame it - most (nontechnical) users won't notice
> those changes, and in most cases system doesn't brake). As I'm
> updating from command line I got information about changes in
> /etc/sudoers but I decided to handle this manually as tool for merging
> changes in config files is not too helpful (but it could be, arch and
> gentoo are doing much better in this aspect)
>
> darkestkhan
> Feel free to CC me.
> jid: darkestkhan@gmail.com
> May The Source be with You.
---end quoted text---

Unfortuantely the suggested fix didn't work. Must have something to do with PAM? Doesn't
PAM interact with the Keychain and maybe SUDOERS to authorize a user wanting to run for
example, Synaptic?

Sun Sep 4 15:30:01 2011