Old 09-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Lisi

Default sources.list directory specification

On Saturday 03 September 2011 10:35:53 Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 03/09/11 08:27, Lisi wrote:

> So - you are just doing as I suggested. Being selective (except you were
> doing it long before I suggested it, and I was only echoing the
> documentation)
>
> "Hidden" in my original post was this:-

> ;-p

Yes, I saw that - but I in my turn was obviously not making myself clear. ;-)

"Hidden" in my post was the point that I did nothing. Debian did it without
my lifting a finger! (Stars and emphasis added now.)

> > installed from there. The marvellous ***Debian sets the pinning
> > appropriately __automatically__:***
> >
> > /etc/apt/preferences
> >
> > Package: * Pin: release a=lenny-backports Pin-Priority: 200

Lisi

Old 09-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Scott Ferguson

So - you are just doing as I suggested. Being selective (except you were
doing it long before I suggested it, and I was only echoing the
documentation)

"Hidden" in my original post was this:-

Yes - though you might consider reading up on pinning.

;-p

Yes, I saw that - but I in my turn was obviously not making myself clear. ;-)

"Hidden" in my post was the point that I did nothing. Debian did it without
my lifting a finger! (Stars and emphasis added now.)

installed from there. The marvellous ***Debian sets the pinning
appropriately __automatically__:***

/etc/apt/preferences

Package: * Pin: release a=lenny-backports Pin-Priority: 200

Lisi

Worse - I *did* read it....
It. Just. Did. Not. Sink. In.

Clearly you need longer nails and a bigger hammer to make the point sink
in! ;-p

(mea culpa)

Just checked, Squeeze doesn't seem to auto-pin

Cheers

--
"I don't know how you deal with these winters - I don't get it. I was
here last winter, one of the days I was here it was 3 below zero, no

— Bill Hicks

Archive: 4E63318F.2090402@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E63318F.2090402@gmail.com

Old 09-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 04 September 2011 09:06:39 Scott Ferguson wrote:
> Just checked, Squeeze doesn't seem to auto-pin

Interesting. I must obviously ensure that I keep a copy of my Lenny
preferences file! I have not yet installed any backports on Squeeze. I only
install backports if and when I have a good reason for wanting them, and not
willy nilly.

Lisi