Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Oracle's Java package status (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/570902-oracles-java-package-status.html)

Camaleón 09-01-2011 04:52 PM

Oracle's Java package status
 
Hello,

I think you all are aware of the recent news for Oracle's java binaries
that will be removed from almost every linux distribution repositories¹
because of the new Oracle's policy for redistributing this packages
(sigh...).

So far so good but I can foresee there will be several users (me
included :-P) that will need to use Oracle's packages instead openJDK, so
is there any FAQ or How-To guide to make this step smoothly for users
that will need to install both Java JRE and plugin (32 and 64 bits) in
Debian upcoming Wheezy and onwards?

I can open a "wishlist" bug for that but before flooding BTS I better ask
how this will be managed or if there will be an "action-path" for this.

¹http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_removed_from_debian_u

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.01.16.52.17@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.01.16.52.17@gmail.com

Niels Thykier 09-04-2011 11:54 AM

Oracle's Java package status
 
On 2011-09-04 12:22, Camaleón wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I sent this message to "debian-user" mailing list but as I got no feeback
> from there I try now here, if this is not the proper list, please tell.
>

Hi,

I am thinking d-java@l.d.o might be a better place (CC'ed).

> I think you all are aware of the recent news for Oracle's java binaries
> that will be removed from almost every linux distribution repositories¹
> because of the new Oracle's policy for redistributing this packages
> (sigh...).
>
> So far so good but I can foresee there will be several users (me
> included :-P) that will need to use Oracle's packages instead openJDK,
> so is there any FAQ or How-To guide to make this step smoothly for users
> that will need to install both Java JRE and plugin (32 and 64 bits) in
> Debian upcoming Wheezy and onwards?
>

Perhaps the Java Team might be interested in it. Personally (as a Java
Team member) I think it might be time to "go all in" on using and
improving OpenJDK.
If you can provide some code snippets that demonstrate where Oracle
Java behaves better than OpenJDK, we are very interested in hearing
about them.

Anyhow, as it is you can get away with creating a "fake" package that
claims to be (or provide) sun-java6 and java{,2,5,6}-runtime{,-headless}
and install that package locally (I believe equivs might be useful for
this)[1]. This will work for Squeeze (and probably also Lenny) and Wheezy.

> I can open a "wishlist" bug for that but before flooding BTS I better
> ask how this will be managed or if there will be an "action-path" for
> this.
>
> ¹http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_removed_from_debian_u
>
> Greetings,
>

As I recall, java-common used to have some templates for creating a
deb-package to trick APT into thinking that Java was installed. I
suppose those could be restored - feel free to file a wishlist bug
against java-common for that.

~Niels

[1] Obviously you would still need to install Oracle Java locally, but
the fake deb package would convince APT that you have it.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E6366E9.9060809@thykier.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E6366E9.9060809@thykier.net

"Damien Raude-Morvan" 09-04-2011 12:16 PM

Oracle's Java package status
 
Le dimanche 04 septembre 2011 13:54:17, Niels Thykier a écrit :
> As I recall, java-common used to have some templates for creating a
> deb-package to trick APT into thinking that Java was installed. I
> suppose those could be restored - feel free to file a wishlist bug
> against java-common for that.

I think it was "make-jpkg" cli tool :
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/java-package

Cheers,
--
Damien

Camaleón 09-04-2011 02:10 PM

Oracle's Java package status
 
On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 13:54:17 +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:

> On 2011-09-04 12:22, Camaleón wrote:

>> I sent this message to "debian-user" mailing list but as I got no
>> feeback from there I try now here, if this is not the proper list,
>> please tell.
>>
>>
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking d-java@l.d.o might be a better place (CC'ed).

Thanks. I'm keeping the CC.

>> I think you all are aware of the recent news for Oracle's java binaries
>> that will be removed from almost every linux distribution repositories¹
>> because of the new Oracle's policy for redistributing this packages
>> (sigh...).
>>
>> So far so good but I can foresee there will be several users (me
>> included :-P) that will need to use Oracle's packages instead openJDK,
>> so is there any FAQ or How-To guide to make this step smoothly for
>> users that will need to install both Java JRE and plugin (32 and 64
>> bits) in Debian upcoming Wheezy and onwards?
>>
>>
> Perhaps the Java Team might be interested in it. Personally (as a Java
> Team member) I think it might be time to "go all in" on using and
> improving OpenJDK.
> If you can provide some code snippets that demonstrate where Oracle
> Java behaves better than OpenJDK, we are very interested in hearing
> about them.

I have not carried out a performance test for both "javas" but there are
applications (and online banking applets) that require the use of
Oracle's specific java and don't run (or have problems to properly run)
with openJDK.

> Anyhow, as it is you can get away with creating a "fake" package that
> claims to be (or provide) sun-java6 and java{,2,5,6}-runtime{,-headless}
> and install that package locally (I believe equivs might be useful for
> this)[1]. This will work for Squeeze (and probably also Lenny) and
> Wheezy.

(...)

I've never packaged for Debian nor other distribution (I'm not a
developer) but good to know this can be an option. What I would like to
see (and I can help with) is a wiki page or an oficial doc where this
Java policy change is documented for plain user, I mean, what are their
options now, explained in an understandable way.

It's ages since I installed Java directly from Sun/Oracle site and while
I don't remember I had any problem last time I did, I'm not aware of the
current status nor if there are any gotchas for getting the 64-bits
binaries and the plugin.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.04.14.10.18@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.04.14.10.18@gmail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.