Old 09-01-2011, 03:14 AM
Heddle Weaver

Default Dual Boot.

On 1 September 2011 13:09, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
<snip>

If your windows install uses the entire drive for one partition, then

there isn't really anything the installer can do for you other than to

wipe out windows.

If on the other hand you have windows on a partition that does not use

the entire drive, and there is unpartitioned space on the drive, then the

installer should give you the option of using the largest unused space

on the drive. *Of course this is essentially never the case unless the

person installing windows was thinking ahead.

Windows people never think ahead.
They let their pogrom do it for them.

But something like Gparted should be able to help?
Other than buying a second drive?

Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:22 PM
jeremy jozwik

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:23 AM, Heddle Weaver <weaver2world@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, thanks, but it doesn't really tell me much does it?
> I've already said I've been able to do it in the past, but it's not
> happening this time.
> Perhaps if you read a post before you replied to it?

i did, you were only whining about windows people not planing ahead.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 01 September 2011 10:23:11 Heddle Weaver wrote:
> I've already said I've been able to do it in the past, but it's not
> happening this time.

Perhaps if you didn't break the threading people could follow you better. You
said nothing about previous occasions in the mail to which Jeremy was
replying, merely made a sweeping generalistion about Windows users. He then
points out that not all Windows users are incompetent - and you leap on him.

I repeat, if you want people to be able to follow your long and convoluted
threads, you need to keep the threading. If it is not possible for you to
keep the threading, then it ill behoves you to blame other people for not
following the thread.

Lisi

Old 09-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Bruno Martins

On 09/01/2011 10:23 AM, Heddle Weaver wrote:
> On 1 September 2011 13:33, jeremy jozwik <jerjoz.forums@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> just got my duel boot machine running. works great with xp installed
>> then debian with grub. works very great.
>>

> Well, thanks, but it doesn't really tell me much does it?
> I've already said I've been able to do it in the past, but it's not
> happening this time.
> Perhaps if you read a post before you replied to it?
>
> Thank you for your contribution.
> Regards,
>
> Weaver.

Hello Heddle,

What's really the problem you're experiencing regarding to dual-boot setup?

Best regards,

Bruno Martins

Old 09-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Heddle Weaver <weaver2world@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 September 2011 13:09, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
> wrote:
>>
>> If your windows install uses the entire drive for one partition, then
>> there isn't really anything the installer can do for you other than to
>> wipe out windows.
>>
>> If on the other hand you have windows on a partition that does not use
>> the entire drive, and there is unpartitioned space on the drive, then the
>> installer should give you the option of using the largest unused space
>> on the drive. *Of course this is essentially never the case unless the
>> person installing windows was thinking ahead.
>
> Windows people never think ahead.
> They let their pogrom do it for them.

Since Debian's default install uses the whole disk, perhaps "Debian
people never think ahead..." too.

Criticizing Windows in this way makes you look silly; at best.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Heddle Weaver

On 2 September 2011 02:30, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Heddle Weaver <weaver2world@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 September 2011 13:09, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>

> wrote:

>> If your windows install uses the entire drive for one partition, then

>> there isn't really anything the installer can do for you other than to

>> wipe out windows.

>> If on the other hand you have windows on a partition that does not use

>> the entire drive, and there is unpartitioned space on the drive, then the

>> installer should give you the option of using the largest unused space

>> on the drive. *Of course this is essentially never the case unless the

>> person installing windows was thinking ahead.

> Windows people never think ahead.

> They let their pogrom do it for them.

Since Debian's default install uses the whole disk, perhaps "Debian

people never think ahead..." too.

Criticizing Windows in this way makes you look silly; at best.

Not really.
It's not beyond the bounds of common knowledge that Windows keeps the fact that there might be alternatives somewhat in the dark and adheres to a mode of operation that promotes that.

Even in Debian's default install you are presented with a range of options.
When was the last time you did a Windows install that offered an ext3, ext4, or jfs format on any partition?
I can connect to a Debian box and get a USB flash formatted in NTFS or FAT32, so that I can bring Windows files back home to work on them, just for one example.

When did you ever get that option with Microsoft?
My current situation, in fact, currently hinges on exactly that.

If you state as you seem to be , that Microsoft don't enter into grubby strategies of monopoly control, it ain't me that looks 'silly at best'.

See ya!

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Heddle Weaver

On 2 September 2011 01:13, Bruno Martins <bmomartins@gmail.com> wrote:

On 09/01/2011 10:23 AM, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 1 September 2011 13:33, jeremy jozwik <jerjoz.forums@gmail.com> wrote:

>> just got my duel boot machine running. works great with xp installed

>> then debian with grub. works very great.

> Well, thanks, but it doesn't really tell me much does it?

> I've already said I've been able to do it in the past, but it's not

> happening this time.

> Perhaps if you read a post before you replied to it?

> Thank you for your contribution.

> Regards,

> Weaver.

Hello Heddle,

Hello Bruno,

What's really the problem you're experiencing regarding to dual-boot setup?

First up: Thanks for a constructive reply.

It's been some time since I've done this. Not since XP first came out, in fact, so I've forgotten something that I can't find reference to.

I got a great deal, through a rtecycler, of a Dell desktop, monitor, mouse and keyboard, fully reconditioned, for $200.00.
It came with XP and Office preinstalled, on an NTFS file system that takes up the whole disc. It does exist, because I'm currently posting from it.

What I want to do, is install /root and /swap on about 15 Gb, allowing for the format also, on the end of the disc, which I can associate with an already established /home partition on an external expansion drive, with Grub2 handling the boot.

Is there a way to resize the NTFS partition, from within the Windows environment, so that I have free space to create the partition? Because in the current circumstance, I can see no evidence of the Windows partition during the Debian install. Only an existing 'whole of disc' NTFS format.

Regards and thanks,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Heddle Weaver

On 2 September 2011 01:00, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday 01 September 2011 10:23:11 Heddle Weaver wrote:

> I've already said I've been able to do it in the past, but it's not

> happening this time.

Perhaps if you didn't break the threading people could follow you better.
????
*
*You

said nothing about previous occasions in the mail to which Jeremy was

replying,
UMMM! Yes I did.
* merely made a sweeping generalistion about Windows users.

I made a statement about Windows users, not people that venture beyond that environment.
*
*He then

points out that not all Windows users are incompetent - and you leap on him.

He is not a strict windows user and I still maintain he contributed nothing.
Is that 'keeping the threading?'

I repeat, if you want people to be able to follow your long and convoluted

threads,
I have had one, long and convoluted thread in the time I've been associated with Debian.
That's a period of about eight years.
That was long and convoluted because of a lot of unconstructive and non-contributing verbiage on behalf of others.

I remember just the one reply by somebody, that stated I shouldn't have something somewhere, but absolutely no information as to what I should or what should be kept or what should be substituted, for example. There were other examples of self elevation at the expense of the situation and myself. Luckily I have always taken the viewpoint that if anybody believes that in putting me down makes them feel better about themselves, that they should just go ahead and be my guest, but you can see how long and convoluted threads come about. A problem is posted with a view to assistance, and then others post their problems. Perhaps this is their concept of 'keeping the threading'.

Luckily I gained the help of some constructive individuals amongst the mess.
I remember who they are also and the appreciation I expressed was directed to them.
*
you need to keep the threading. *If it is not possible for you to

keep the threading, then it ill behoves you to blame other people for not

following the thread.

How has the threading not been kept?
No need to answer.
I've got my own problems and I'd much rather stay on thread.
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Lisi

On Friday 02 September 2011 00:28:50 Heddle Weaver wrote:
> If you state as you seem to be , that Microsoft don't enter into grubby
> strategies of monopoly control, it ain't me that looks 'silly at best'.

You seem deliberately to twist what people say in order to have a go at them.
Tom didn't say anything remotely like that, nor did he seem to be doing so.
He said that your dismissing all windows users as not thinking ahead made you
look silly at best.

Microsoft and grubby strategies of monopoly control has simply not come into
the "discussion" until now.

Lisi