-   -   missing modules (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/570645-missing-modules.html)

08-31-2011 06:34 PM

missing modules

List

This is probably an Apache issue but with so much expertise on this list I thought I'd try here first.

I am running an up-to date Debian Stable System for my own use as well as a central backup (using backuppc and samba) for my family.* I also use the Apache home page to keep system info available for the family.* My family now wishes me to*serve individual web pages for each of them.* I believe this is done by configuring the userdir modules within Apache2.* The problem is on my system these modules do not exist (either in mods-available or mods-enabled).* Googling has found some Apache2 configurations with the modules available and enabled and others with the modules available but not enabled but none with my configuration.* Any suggestions (I would hate to reinstall Apache2 but if I must I must)?

Larry

Bob Proulx 08-31-2011 07:48 PM

missing modules

owens@netptc.net wrote:
> This is probably an Apache issue but with so much expertise on this
> list I thought I'd try here first.

The debian-user list is available for all questions about using
Debian. This question seems perfectly on topic here. :-)

> The problem is on my system these modules do not exist (either in
> mods-available or mods-enabled).

They should exist. Look for these files:

/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load

Those files are part of the apache2.2-common package which is a
dependency pulled in by the apache2 package.

$ sudo apt-get install apache2

If you wish to verify your installation you might look at the files
listed in the apache2.2-common package:

$ dpkg --listfiles apache2.2-common | grep userdir
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf

You might also try looking at the md5sums associated with the package.

$ sudo apt-get install debsums
$ debsums --config apache2.2-common | grep userdir
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load OK
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf OK

> Googling has found some Apache2 configurations with the modules
> available and enabled and others with the modules available but not
> enabled but none with my configuration.

You mentioned mods-available and mods-enabled but those files should
be there. But just in case let me walk through the steps for others
that might be reading along with us.

$ sudo a2enmod userdir
$ sudo service apache2 restart

Your apache configuration file is by default in the
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default file but possibly in another file
that you configured for it. I like to explicitly configure the
directory. Because I use a different default and because other
modules such as the php5 module also modify it.

Optional configuration:
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
# Default is simply public_html in $HOME/public_html
UserDir /srv/www/public_html
</IfModule>
YMMV.

> Any suggestions (I would hate to reinstall Apache2 but if I must I must)?

Even re-installing apache isn't difficult. It is the apache2.2-common
module you would want. Make sure you have a backup of your
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default and
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl files which should be the
only ones from the package that you would configure.

apt-get install --reinstall apache2.2-common

Bob

08-31-2011 09:35 PM

missing modules

> This is probably an Apache issue but with so much expertise on this
> list I thought I'd try here first.

The debian-user list is available for all questions about using
Debian. This question seems perfectly on topic here. :-)

> The problem is on my system these modules do not exist (either in
> mods-available or mods-enabled).

They should exist. Look for these files:

/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load

Those files are part of the apache2.2-common package which is a
dependency pulled in by the apache2 package.

$ sudo apt-get install apache2

If you wish to verify your installation you might look at the files
listed in the apache2.2-common package:

$ dpkg --listfiles apache2.2-common | grep userdir
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf

You might also try looking at the md5sums associated with the package.

$ sudo apt-get install debsums
$ debsums --config apache2.2-common | grep userdir
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load OK
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf OK

> Googling has found some Apache2 configurations with the modules
> available and enabled and others with the modules available but not
> enabled but none with my configuration.

You mentioned mods-available and mods-enabled but those files should
be there. But just in case let me walk through the steps for others
that might be reading along with us.

$ sudo a2enmod userdir
$ sudo service apache2 restart

Your apache configuration file is by default in the
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default file but possibly in another file
that you configured for it. I like to explicitly configure the
directory. Because I use a different default and because other
modules such as the php5 module also modify it.

Optional configuration:
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
# Default is simply public_html in $HOME/public_html
UserDir /srv/www/public_html
</IfModule>
YMMV.

> Any suggestions (I would hate to reinstall Apache2 but if I must I must)?

Even re-installing apache isn't difficult. It is the apache2.2-common
module you would want. Make sure you have a backup of your
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default and
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl files which should be the
only ones from the package that you would configure.

apt-get install --reinstall apache2.2-common

Bob

Bob et al

Thanks for the rapid response.* I have verified that the userdir module is NOT in either mods-available NOR mods-enabled on my system.* As per your suggestion I reinstalled apache2-common but am left with the same situation (no userdir).* I viewed the contents of the Debian apache2-common package prior to installation and verified that this module IS contained but for some reason it is not being transferred with the reinstall.* Do you have any other suggestions (other than to reinstall Apache which I plan to do tomorrow)?

Larry

09-01-2011 10:50 PM

missing modules

----- Original Message -----From: owens@netptc.net To: Bob Proulx, debian-user@lists.debian.orgSent: 8/31/2011 9:35:49 PMSubject: Re: missing modules

> This is probably an Apache issue but with so much expertise on this
> list I thought I'd try here first.

The debian-user list is available for all questions about using
Debian. This question seems perfectly on topic here. :-)

> The problem is on my system these modules do not exist (either in
> mods-available or mods-enabled).

They should exist. Look for these files:

/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load

Those files are part of the apache2.2-common package which is a
dependency pulled in by the apache2 package.

$ sudo apt-get install apache2

If you wish to verify your installation you might look at the files
listed in the apache2.2-common package:

$ dpkg --listfiles apache2.2-common | grep userdir
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf

You might also try looking at the md5sums associated with the package.

$ sudo apt-get install debsums
$ debsums --config apache2.2-common | grep userdir
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load OK
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf OK

> Googling has found some Apache2 configurations with the modules
> available and enabled and others with the modules available but not
> enabled but none with my configuration.

You mentioned mods-available and mods-enabled but those files should
be there. But just in case let me walk through the steps for others
that might be reading along with us.

$ sudo a2enmod userdir
$ sudo service apache2 restart

Your apache configuration file is by default in the
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default file but possibly in another file
that you configured for it. I like to explicitly configure the
directory. Because I use a different default and because other
modules such as the php5 module also modify it.

Optional configuration:
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
# Default is simply public_html in $HOME/public_html
UserDir /srv/www/public_html
</IfModule>
YMMV.

> Any suggestions (I would hate to reinstall Apache2 but if I must I must)?

Even re-installing apache isn't difficult. It is the apache2.2-common
module you would want. Make sure you have a backup of your
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default and
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl files which should be the
only ones from the package that you would configure.

apt-get install --reinstall apache2.2-common

Bob

Here is the latest-very frustrating. *I can view the contents of apache2.2-common for my O/S (squeeze) in the repository and verify that userdir is present. *However when I remove and reinstall apache2-common the module does not exist (either in mods-available or mods-enabled). *Although it should not produce a different result I also purged and reinstalled Apache2-same result.

Larry

Bob Proulx 09-02-2011 10:10 PM

missing modules

Larry,

Your replies are very difficult to read since I initially thought you
were simply sending my original message back to me! Please trim your
reply to be just your reply and quote the parts you want to quote and
delete everything else that isn't related.

owens@netptc.net wrote:
> I have verified that the userdir module is NOT in either
> mods-available NOR mods-enabled on my system. As per your
> suggestion I reinstalled apache2-common but am left with the same
> situation (no userdir).

That is very strange. That really is not an expected result. And it
would worry me that if something about your system is broken in such a
way that you are missing files then what else on your system is
missing? This could be the tip of the iceberg and you could be
playing wack-a-mole with many other problems.

> I viewed the contents of the Debian apache2-common package prior to
> installation and verified that this module IS contained but for some
> reason it is not being transferred with the reinstall. Do you have
> any other suggestions (other than to reinstall Apache which I plan
> to do tomorrow)?
> Here is the latest-very frustrating. I can view the contents of
> apache2.2-common for my O/S (squeeze) in the repository and verify
> that userdir is present. However when I remove and reinstall
> apache2-common the module does not exist (either in mods-available
> or mods-enabled). Although it should not produce a different result
> I also purged and reinstalled Apache2-same result.

I have no further advise due to the logical conflict of information.
The files are in the package. You install the package and the files
do not get installed. Those two items conflict with each other. This
is definitely not happening for anyone else. It is something that is
broken uniquely on your system. You will have to debug it yourself.

Personally if I saw that I would be looking very closely to see if I
had a disk error or if the system had a security compromise of some
sort. That type of logical disconnect is severe and I would not
ignore it.

Bob