Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Bruno Martins

Default Package removal dependencies

Hello guys.

Is there any way to avoid this? Imagine that I simply want to remove the evolution package.

root@sputnik:/home/joe# apt-get remove evolution
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree******

Reading state information... Done
* libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil python-crypto mono-2.0-gac python-tagpy geoclue-localnet mesa-utils
* libepc-ui-1.0-2 python-pyasn1 geoclue tomboy python-twisted-core espeak ekiga python-opengl

* python-gst0.10 libmtp8 rpm2cpio libnm-glib-vpn1 gcalctool freedesktop-sound-theme
* telepathy-salut gnuchess-book gnome-nettool gnome-games-extra-data libepc-1.0-2
* libgnomepanel2.24-cil libgail-gnome-module libglade2.0-cil baobab libtelepathy-glib0

* python-mako libportaudio2 mobile-broadband-provider-info python-zope.interface libglib2.0-cil
* obex-data-server libsrtp0 libgnome-mag2 tcptraceroute gucharmap network-manager
* python-clientform libdiscid0 gnome-games cheese gnome-session-canberra gdebi libgconf2.0-cil

* python-twisted-web gnome-bluetooth libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3 python-aptdaemon-gtk
* update-manager-core gnome-codec-install python-aptdaemon gnome-cards-data liferea-data
* totem-plugins cli-common gnome-mag gnome-screensaver gnome-themes-more rhythmbox

* libgstfarsight0.10-0 gnome-screenshot python-gdata gedit libnm-util1 liblircclient0
* xdg-user-dirs-gtk libgexiv2-0 python-gtksourceview2 gtk2-engines-pixbuf gnome-office
* apache2.2-bin update-manager-gnome cheese-common python-gtkglext1 libpcap0.8 libart2.0-cil

* epiphany-extensions librpmio1 libapr1 gnome-themes update-notifier-common librpm1 seahorse
* rpm-common remmina-plugin-rdp empathy gdebi-core totem-common libaprutil1-ldap gvfs-bin
* update-notifier python-mechanize libgnome2.24-cil libndesk-dbus1.0-cil seahorse-plugins

* libgpod4 bluez libgeoclue0 remmina-plugin-vnc xdg-user-dirs libmono-cairo2.0-cil
* python-utidylib gnome-user-share nautilus-sendto-empathy libgalago3 gedit-plugins
* libtelepathy-farsight0 network-manager-gnome totem-coherence libpcsclite1 libgnome-bluetooth7

* dasher python-configobj gconf-defaults-service guile-1.8-libs shotwell dnsmasq-base
* python-serial python-beautifulsoup gedit-common gnome-themes-extras libgmime2.4-cil
* software-center libopal3.6.8 python-pam python-openssl libelf1 libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil

* libgssdp-1.0-2 libcryptui0 libbrlapi0.5 libgdu-gtk0 simple-scan libtidy-0.99-0
* libmono-addins0.2-cil remmina-plugin-data gnome-orca python-markupsafe python-pyatspi libgee2
* python-webkit libmono-posix2.0-cil rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder gtk2-engines

* libgtksourceview2.0-common libmono-security2.0-cil eog libgtksourceview2.0-0
* gtk2-engines-smooth gnome-disk-utility liblouis2 gnome-backgrounds dasher-data gok
* python-brlapi obexd-client python-xdg gnome-search-tool espeak-data libgtk2.0-cil

* geoclue-manual mono-gac python-vte libnm-glib2 python-twisted-conch
* libfreerdp-plugins-standard geoclue-hostip python-louie python-feedparser python-louis vino
* mousetweaks aptdaemon usb-modeswitch-data python-nevow gnome-games-data media-player-info

* telepathy-mission-control-5 python-pysqlite2 libapache2-mod-dnssd ppp libclutter-gtk-0.10-0
* libespeak1 tcl telepathy-gabble libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil usb-modeswitch libmono-corlib2.0-cil
* python-epsilon libgpod-common rhythmbox-plugins libgdata7 libchamplain-0.4-0 libgnome-speech7

* tcl8.4 libchamplain-gtk-0.4-0 libepc-common gstreamer0.10-nice python-axiom python-bugbuddy
* mono-runtime liferea libpt2.6.7 wpasupplicant python-coherence python-gdbm libgupnp-1.0-3
* libcheese-gtk18 libnl1 dmz-cursor-theme python-evolution liblua5.1-0 libcolorblind0

* libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil gconf-editor gnome-system-tools hamster-applet gnuchess libfreerdp0
* libnice0 totem gnome-accessibility-themes binfmt-support liblouis-data libssh-4
* libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libavahi-ui0 transmission-common libaprutil1 p7zip-full geoclue-yahoo

* libnet1 python-twisted-bin gstreamer0.10-tools freeglut3 modemmanager totem-mozilla
* libgupnp-igd-1.0-3 libmono-system2.0-cil python-httplib2 gnome-system-log file-roller
* libopenobex1 libspeexdsp1 nautilus-sendto transmission-gtk python-rdflib

* libboost-python1.42.0 remmina libgdata-common empathy-common sound-juicer libmusicbrainz3-6
The following packages will be REMOVED:
* evolution evolution-exchange gnome gnome-accessibility gnome-core gnome-desktop-environment

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 6 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 11.3 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

This doesn't happen on Debian-based distributions such as Ubuntu, neither in Fedora.

Best regards,

Bruno Martins

Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Scott Ferguson

Is there any way to avoid this? Imagine that I simply want to remove the
evolution package.

root@sputnik:/home/joe# apt-get remove evolution
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree������
Reading state information... Done
required:

<snipped>

sound-juicer libmusicbrainz3-6

Don't worry about the autoremove stuff (unless you actually want to
remove those packages - they'll still function)

The following packages will be REMOVED:
� evolution evolution-exchange gnome gnome-accessibility gnome-core
gnome-desktop-environment

gnome is a meta package that pulls in evolution - which is why removing
evolution removes gnome(meta-gnome-2).

I'd go ahead with the removal - but I'd log out of the desktop first and
use a console login from gdm as root.

I'm assuming that your original packages are still in
/var/cache/apt/archives

After:-
# apt-get remove evolution
# apt-get -s install gnome-desktop-environment | less
and make sure gnome-core is going to be installed - add in
gnome-accessibility if you want. If everything looks ok and evolution is
not being reinstalled remove the -s and run the install. You might want
to add your desired mua to the start of the list of packages being
installed (before gnome-desktop-environment).

Also consider:-
# apt-get -s remove evolution > /root/remove_evolution
so that you've got a reference in case you have problems building your
custom gnome.

This will show you dependencies and suggested packages:-
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gnome

<snipped>

This doesn't happen on Debian-based distributions such as Ubuntu,
neither in Fedora.

apropos of what? (and you are mistaken about Ubuntu)

Best regards,

Bruno Martins

Cheers

--
"The definition of black irony is Pro-lifers killing Doctors who do
abortions"

— Bill Hicks

Archive: 4E5E220D.4070105@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E5E220D.4070105@gmail.com

Old 08-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Bruno Martins

[...]

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4E5E220D.4070105@gmail.com

Hello mate.

Thanks for your quick response.

So, to avoid this dependency "problems" in the future, I should make a
clean installation of Debian, without GNOME, and then install the GNOME
packages, like 'gnome-desktop-environment', etc?

This should make it easier to install only what's needed.

Best regards,

Bruno Martins

Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Camalen

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:02:39 +0100, Bruno Martins wrote:

> Is there any way to avoid this? Imagine that I simply want to remove the
> evolution package.

(...)

This topic comes from time to time :-)

http://www.google.es/search?q=Form+wizard&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:es-ESfficial&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=es&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:es-ES%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=debian+evolution+remove& pbx=1&oq=debian+evolution+remove&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs _sm=d&gs_upl=4029l6359l3l6397l15l8l0l0l0l4l233l126 8l1.4.3l8l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=f09d92834ac5 c087&biw=1280&bih=888

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 08-31-2011, 02:18 PM