Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Alberto Fuentes

Default debian box as a firewall connecting to adsl with MER

hi! ive got a Huawei HG556a router and a debian box acting as firewall behind it.

Right now the router negotiates with the isp and get the external ip. I want the firewall to make the negotiation and take the external ip. To do so, i put the router in bridge mode and let the debianbox negotiate. Ive done it before with pppoe, but it seems that in a direct connection (afai read) the router can only negotitate with mer (mac encapsulation routing) instead of pppoe. (I was not even able to make the router work alone with pppoe. It does connect with mer)

Ive googled a bit but i cant find anything relevant. Any help?

tl;dr: I want a debianbox to work as a router and negotiate with the isp over mer (mac encapsulation routing)

thanks!
alberto

**AVISO LEGAL**
Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario y puede contener informacion privilegiada o confidencial. Si no es usted el destinatario indicado, queda notificado que la utilizacion, divulgacion y/o copia sin autorizacion esta prohibida en virtud de la legislacion vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma via y proceda a su destruccion.