Old 08-30-2011, 09:04 PM
kuLa

Default OT - SATA 3TB: unsupported sector size -1548812288.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 01/09/11 18:55, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

On 8/30/2011 4:04 PM, kuLa wrote:

On 30/08/11 20:54, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

I would make an educated guess that entities exercising system level
change control policies probably aren't using Debian, but using a
commercial distro such as Red Hat or SuSE.

well guess again Stan :-)
But I assume I'm working for exceptional company.

Likewise - though I'm betting my boss is a bigger bastard than yours
kuLa ;-p

That's great, really, to see a commercial entity using Debian. I don't
know if that's exceptional in the UK, but it's rare in the US. It's rare
to find a commercial entity in the US running anything but Red Hat or
SuSE, and usually it's only commercial entities doing OS package/file
level change control. The reasons for this have nothing to do with
technology, but legal liability/indemnification, skill set continuity, etc.

Anyone recall reading a fairly recent article/interview by a Red Hat
exec WRT Red Hat spending millions each year providing blanket Linux
kernel and user land app patent infringement liability coverage to all
of its customers, stating it is simply cheaper to settle most of the
claims than fight them? Due to the SCO fiasco and other cases, many/most
commercial entities avoid any distro that can't/won't indemnify them
from potential lawsuits.

Didn't SCO just get another kicking last week??

If a company were to build its infrastructure with Debian, and its 3 man
Debian strong IT staff were to all move to another company (this happens
frequently as technical heads often prefer to take their team with them
when they make a move), it will be more difficult to acquire 3 new
Debian people than to hire 3 Red Hat/SuSE people, simply because there
are far more of the latter in the talent pool. Granted, a Linux guy
should be able to work efficiently with any distro given a little bit of
time, but HR types are usually non technical, and don't know this. And
since the technical manager is gone, the HR guy has no one to advise
him. In his mind he "needs" 3 Debian guys so that's what he'd look for
instead of 3 "Linux" guys.

There are dozens more reasons why Red Hat/SuSE are entrenched in US
business, I've merely hit on a couple of the 'larger' reasons here.

Don't overlook the value of certification. RedHat certification is well
regarded. If Debian did certification I strongly suspect it's market
share would increase. Not that LPI isn't as good or better - it's just
that if you go to the trouble of getting a "flavoured" cert, it tends to
influence what you suggest your employers invest in.

Note that vendor support is not such a big factor in areas where
national security and/or international competitiveness are critical (in
which case in-house is more attractive).

Cheers

--
"Oh sorry, I was taking life seriously."
— Bill Hicks