-   -   USB-Printer prints RAW PCL6-Code (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/570049-usb-printer-prints-raw-pcl6-code.html)

Martin Lorenz 08-30-2011 03:45 PM

USB-Printer prints RAW PCL6-Code

Camaleón 08-30-2011 04:15 PM

USB-Printer prints RAW PCL6-Code

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 17:45:43 +0200, Martin Lorenz wrote:

> Again a rather strange behavior ...
>
> My Samsung ML-2150, which is said to work perfectly with
> cups/openprinting, did work well with my old computer.
>
> Now with a new machine and a new system it only prints page after page
> of RAW PLC6-Code whenever I try a second print-job after swithing it on.
> The first job is printed flawlessly. From then on I might be lucky to
> get a proper printout but most of the time I only receive garbage.
>
> When I switch off the printer and on again the next job is good.
>
> Any ideas where to start investigating? Is it a kernel issue?
> Is it an USB-issue (I already changed through all my USB-cables)?

Have you tried with another driver? Pxlmono seems to be the recommended
for your printer but true is that there are many available...

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Samsung/Samsung-ML-2150

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Matt Richardson 08-30-2011 05:18 PM

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 17:45:43 +0200, Martin Lorenz wrote:
>
>> Again a rather strange behavior ...
>>
>> My Samsung ML-2150, which is said to work perfectly with
>> cups/openprinting, did work well with my old computer.
>>
>> Now with a new machine and a new system it only prints page after page
>> of RAW PLC6-Code whenever I try a second print-job after swithing it on.
>> The first job is printed flawlessly. From then on I might be lucky to
>> get a proper printout but most of the time I only receive garbage.
>>
>> When I switch off the printer and on again the next job is good.
>>
>> Any ideas where to start investigating? Is it a kernel issue?
>> Is it an USB-issue (I already changed through all my USB-cables)?
>
> Have you tried with another driver? Pxlmono seems to be the recommended
> for your printer but true is that there are many available...
>
> http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Samsung/Samsung-ML-2150
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I will second this. Try one of the other drivers available. I
recently had this problem with an HP laser printer and had to change
from the CUPS+gutenprint to an HPLIP driver to get rid of the problem
(garbage printed and then the printer locking up, requiring a power
down.)

--
Matt

Martin Lorenz 08-30-2011 09:52 PM

Am 30.08.2011 19:18, schrieb Matt Richardson:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 17:45:43 +0200, Martin Lorenz wrote:
>>
>>> Again a rather strange behavior ...
>>>
>>> My Samsung ML-2150, which is said to work perfectly with
>>> cups/openprinting, did work well with my old computer.
>>>
>>> Now with a new machine and a new system it only prints page after page
>>> of RAW PLC6-Code whenever I try a second print-job after swithing it on.
>>> The first job is printed flawlessly. From then on I might be lucky to
>>> get a proper printout but most of the time I only receive garbage.
>>>
>>> When I switch off the printer and on again the next job is good.
>>>
>>> Any ideas where to start investigating? Is it a kernel issue?
>>> Is it an USB-issue (I already changed through all my USB-cables)?
>>
>> Have you tried with another driver? Pxlmono seems to be the recommended
>> for your printer but true is that there are many available...
>>
>> http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Samsung/Samsung-ML-2150
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> --
>> Camaleón
>>

> I will second this. Try one of the other drivers available. I
> recently had this problem with an HP laser printer and had to change
> from the CUPS+gutenprint to an HPLIP driver to get rid of the problem
> (garbage printed and then the printer locking up, requiring a power
> down.)

strange but probably true
I changed to gutenprint and printed several jobs in a row

tnx
greets
martin

Martin Lorenz 09-02-2011 09:47 PM

Am 30.08.2011 23:52, schrieb Martin Lorenz:

> Am 30.08.2011 19:18, schrieb Matt Richardson:

>>> Have you tried with another driver? Pxlmono seems to be the recommended
>>> for your printer but true is that there are many available...
>>>
>>> http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Samsung/Samsung-ML-2150
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Camaleón
>>>

>> I will second this. Try one of the other drivers available. I
>> recently had this problem with an HP laser printer and had to change
>> from the CUPS+gutenprint to an HPLIP driver to get rid of the problem
>> (garbage printed and then the printer locking up, requiring a power
>> down.)
>

> strange but probably true
> I changed to gutenprint and printed several jobs in a row

must be something else.

now that I watched the issue for several days I come to the conclusion,
that it must be something with the USB stack.

The printer gives me one good printout whenever it is switched on or
unplugged from USB and replugged.
All subsequent printouts are garbage.
The type of garbage depends on the driver (tried several PCL drivers)

tried it on different computers - same result.
common to those computers is: they run kernel 3.0.0-1-amd64

tnx for your help
martin

Martin Lorenz 09-02-2011 09:59 PM

Am 02.09.2011 23:47, schrieb Martin Lorenz:

> Am 30.08.2011 23:52, schrieb Martin Lorenz:

>>> I will second this. Try one of the other drivers available. I
>>> recently had this problem with an HP laser printer and had to change
>>> from the CUPS+gutenprint to an HPLIP driver to get rid of the problem
>>> (garbage printed and then the printer locking up, requiring a power
>>> down.)
>

>> strange but probably true
>> I changed to gutenprint and printed several jobs in a row
>

> must be something else.
>
> now that I watched the issue for several days I come to the conclusion,
> that it must be something with the USB stack.
>
> The printer gives me one good printout whenever it is switched on or
> unplugged from USB and replugged.
> All subsequent printouts are garbage.
> The type of garbage depends on the driver (tried several PCL drivers)
>
> tried it on different computers - same result.
> common to those computers is: they run kernel 3.0.0-1-amd64

additional information:

I tried to print from a WinXP running inside a VirtualBox on one of my
machines by forwarding the USB-device to the virtual machine. works
perfectly ...

greets
martin

Camaleón 09-03-2011 10:15 AM

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 23:59:47 +0200, Martin Lorenz wrote:

>>> strange but probably true
>>> I changed to gutenprint and printed several jobs in a row
>>

>> must be something else.
>>
>> now that I watched the issue for several days I come to the conclusion,
>> that it must be something with the USB stack.
>>
>> The printer gives me one good printout whenever it is switched on or
>> unplugged from USB and replugged.
>> All subsequent printouts are garbage. The type of garbage depends on
>> the driver (tried several PCL drivers)
>>
>> tried it on different computers - same result. common to those
>> computers is: they run kernel 3.0.0-1-amd64
>>

> additional information:
>
> I tried to print from a WinXP running inside a VirtualBox on one of my
> machines by forwarding the USB-device to the virtual machine. works
> perfectly ...

Hum... it's weird that a problem with the USB stack allows windows to
print from the VM client because it finally ends at the same point.

I would review CUPS logs, just in case (/var/log/cups/*) and also try
with Samsug's linux unified drivers:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=&prd_mdl_c d=&prd_mdl_name=ML-2150

If none helps, I would open a bug report. If it worked fine with kernel
2.6.39 (and same drivers) that can be something where to start looking at.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Martin Lorenz 09-05-2011 06:05 AM

USB-Printer prints RAW PCL6-Code

Camaleón 09-05-2011 03:35 PM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 08:05:36 +0200, Martin Lorenz wrote:

>> Hum... it's weird that a problem with the USB stack allows windows to
>> print from the VM client because it finally ends at the same point.
>>
>> I would review CUPS logs, just in case (/var/log/cups/*) and also try
>> with Samsug's linux unified drivers:
>>
>> http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=&prd_mdl_c d=&prd_mdl_name=ML-2150
>>
>> If none helps, I would open a bug report. If it worked fine with kernel
>> 2.6.39 (and same drivers) that can be something where to start looking
>> at.
>>

> tried some more and found that it dosen't work with kernel 2.6.38
> either.
>
> When I spool several print-jobs in a row such that the second, third,
> etc. is in the queue before the first one has finished printing, than it
> spits out all jobs in a row fine and good.
>
> The moment i leave a pause for the printer to become idle between the
> first and second job the second one fails (and so do all subsequent
> jobs)

Next time go for a PostScript printer (or add this as add-in whether
optional), you will avoid all these weirdnesses and won't be
driver-dependant :-)

> and now another one: with a laptop running ubuntu 11.04 it works well.
> the laptop has older CUPS version, driver version and it does NOT
> blacklist usblp ...
>
> I meanwhile also tried to install Samsung's unified driver but with no
> luck. It dosen't even recognize the printer.
>
> So as a workaround I use the ubuntu laptop as print server while
> searching for a solution.

Opening a bug report will help to solve the issue quicker.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón