FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Eike Lantzsch
 
Default weird "sleepmode" with via vt6102 and wheezy

Hi:

I got an older motherboard with embedded VIA VT6102 network controller which
I'm using as a print server with cups.
It worked well with squeeze and also OK when I first moved to wheezy.
Something however happened with later updates. Unfortunately I didn't realize
actually with which upgrade this actually happened because I attributed it to
a hardware failurev at first.
Oh, yes, what's the problem?

Well, the network controller of the box goes to sleep during longer
inactivity. The pertinent LED on the switch goes off.
That happened with kernel 2.6.39 and now still keeps happening with 3.0.0.
In the morning just one keystroke is enough to bring the network controller
back to work. The box does not hang. It's just the network connection.
It does not happen every night. I tried ping -t 60 from that box to another
machine, thinking that this might keep up the network connection, but it
didn't turn out that way. The activity obviously HAS to be on the keyboard -
not the network.
This is awkward because I'm not always personally close to that box.

I perused through the BIOS but couldn't locate any setup which lets me
configure this unwelcome sleepmode.
I couldn't figure out if there was some sleepmode introduced into the via-
rhine driver at some moment.

This problem seems to be rare because Google didn't come up with anything
closely resembling this problem.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Eike

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
Not a member of any social network!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201108301138.08112.zp6cge@gmx.net">http://lists.debian.org/201108301138.08112.zp6cge@gmx.net
 
Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Dom
 
Default weird "sleepmode" with via vt6102 and wheezy

On 30/08/11 16:38, Eike Lantzsch wrote:

Hi:

I got an older motherboard with embedded VIA VT6102 network controller which
I'm using as a print server with cups.
It worked well with squeeze and also OK when I first moved to wheezy.
Something however happened with later updates. Unfortunately I didn't realize
actually with which upgrade this actually happened because I attributed it to
a hardware failurev at first.
Oh, yes, what's the problem?

Well, the network controller of the box goes to sleep during longer
inactivity. The pertinent LED on the switch goes off.
That happened with kernel 2.6.39 and now still keeps happening with 3.0.0.
In the morning just one keystroke is enough to bring the network controller
back to work. The box does not hang. It's just the network connection.
It does not happen every night. I tried ping -t 60 from that box to another
machine, thinking that this might keep up the network connection, but it
didn't turn out that way. The activity obviously HAS to be on the keyboard -
not the network.
This is awkward because I'm not always personally close to that box.

I perused through the BIOS but couldn't locate any setup which lets me
configure this unwelcome sleepmode.
I couldn't figure out if there was some sleepmode introduced into the via-
rhine driver at some moment.

This problem seems to be rare because Google didn't come up with anything
closely resembling this problem.

Any ideas?


This is very interesting.

I've been having similar problems on two systems with the same network
controller, but initially thought it was a problem with the onboard SATA
controller. Disabling the onboard controller and putting in a PCI SATA
card seemed to help, but not completely fix the problem.


I also found that the systems sometime hung randomly during the boot
sequence and would only continue if I pressed a key. This is a real
problem with one of the PCs, which normally runs headless with no
keyboard. I've made a temporary fix with a small circuit that emulated
the shift key being pressed every 5 seconds.


Out of interest, what MoBo are you using? Mine are Abit KV7.

--
Dom


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4E5D084A.9020304@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E5D084A.9020304@rpdom.net
 
Old 08-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Camaleón
 
Default weird "sleepmode" with via vt6102 and wheezy

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:38:07 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> I got an older motherboard with embedded VIA VT6102 network controller
> which I'm using as a print server with cups. It worked well with squeeze
> and also OK when I first moved to wheezy. Something however happened
> with later updates. Unfortunately I didn't realize actually with which
> upgrade this actually happened because I attributed it to a hardware
> failurev at first.

Do not discard a hardware failure, if the board is old and it embbeds the
network adapter it can be failing, not the controller itself but the
power supply. Even the switch port or the cable can be having problems.

> Oh, yes, what's the problem?
>
> Well, the network controller of the box goes to sleep during longer
> inactivity. The pertinent LED on the switch goes off.

(...)

Can you see something ("link down" alike) in "/var/log/messages"?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.08.30.16.10.06@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.08.30.16.10.06@gmail.com
 
Old 08-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Eike Lantzsch
 
Default weird "sleepmode" with via vt6102 and wheezy

On Tuesday 30 August 2011 12:10:06 Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:38:07 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > I got an older motherboard with embedded VIA VT6102 network controller
> > which I'm using as a print server with cups. It worked well with squeeze
> > and also OK when I first moved to wheezy. Something however happened
> > with later updates. Unfortunately I didn't realize actually with which
> > upgrade this actually happened because I attributed it to a hardware
> > failurev at first.
>
> Do not discard a hardware failure, if the board is old and it embbeds the
> network adapter it can be failing, not the controller itself but the
> power supply. Even the switch port or the cable can be having problems.
Changed switch ports, switch and cables already. Sorry for not mentioning it.
>
> > Oh, yes, what's the problem?
> >
> > Well, the network controller of the box goes to sleep during longer
> > inactivity. The pertinent LED on the switch goes off.
>
> (...)
>
> Can you see something ("link down" alike) in "/var/log/messages"?

No, that's the weird part, there are no pertinent error messages, no "via-
rhine up or link up or down", no nothing, zero, zilch, nada.
Of course there are error messages when the port is down and e.g. aptitude
tries to download or ssh has its connection dropped - but those are symptoms,
not the cause.
I'm going to try with a 3com pci card and that'll be it - probably.

Thx alot
Greetings,
Eike


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201108301309.52944.zp6cge@gmx.net">http://lists.debian.org/201108301309.52944.zp6cge@gmx.net
 
Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Eike Lantzsch
 
Default weird "sleepmode" with via vt6102 and wheezy

On Tuesday 30 August 2011 11:56:58 Dom wrote:
> On 30/08/11 16:38, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > I got an older motherboard with embedded VIA VT6102 network controller
> > which I'm using as a print server with cups.
[snip]
> >
> > Well, the network controller of the box goes to sleep during longer
> > inactivity. The pertinent LED on the switch goes off.
> > That happened with kernel 2.6.39 and now still keeps happening with
> > 3.0.0. In the morning just one keystroke is enough to bring the network
> > controller back to work. The box does not hang. It's just the network
> > connection.
[snip]
> > >
> This is very interesting.
>
> I've been having similar problems on two systems with the same network
> controller, but initially thought it was a problem with the onboard SATA
> controller. Disabling the onboard controller and putting in a PCI SATA
> card seemed to help, but not completely fix the problem.
>
> I also found that the systems sometime hung randomly during the boot
> sequence and would only continue if I pressed a key. This is a real
> problem with one of the PCs, which normally runs headless with no
> keyboard. I've made a temporary fix with a small circuit that emulated
> the shift key being pressed every 5 seconds.
No other problems here, just the network port.
>
> Out of interest, what MoBo are you using? Mine are Abit KV7.

ASUS_A7V8X-MX-SE


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201108301313.57083.zp6cge@gmx.net">http://lists.debian.org/201108301313.57083.zp6cge@gmx.net
 
Old 08-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Eike Lantzsch
 
Default weird "sleepmode" with via vt6102 and wheezy

On Tuesday 30 August 2011 12:10:06 Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:38:07 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > I got an older motherboard with embedded VIA VT6102 network controller
> > which I'm using as a print server with cups. It worked well with squeeze
> > and also OK when I first moved to wheezy. Something however happened
> > with later updates. Unfortunately I didn't realize actually with which
> > upgrade this actually happened because I attributed it to a hardware
> > failure at first.
>
> Do not discard a hardware failure, if the board is old and it embbeds the
> network adapter it can be failing, not the controller itself but the
> power supply. Even the switch port or the cable can be having problems.
I'll boot it with an old Knoppix CD for some days. I'll try 5.something to be
sure to use an older kernel. If I boot with 6.7 it might still be a kernel
problem.
I reckon if it should be the power supply I ought to get more problems and
varying ones - no? But oddly enough electrolytics might be on the brinck of
failure - that's true.

Thx again
Eike




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201108301321.32633.zp6cge@gmx.net">http://lists.debian.org/201108301321.32633.zp6cge@gmx.net
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:31 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org