Old 08-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Tony van der Hoff

Default error from Klamav

Thanks for your help, Scott.

On 30/08/11 11:14, Scott Ferguson wrote:

On 30/08/11 19:18, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

On 30/08/11 10:03, Scott Ferguson wrote:

I am getting an error after the nightly scan by KlamAV as follows:

From: root@tony-lx.xxx (Cron Daemon)
To: tony@tony-lx.xxx
Subject: Cron <tony@tony-lx>
/home/tony/.klamav/ScanWithKlamav_170811104108.sh '/home/tony/'
[...]

Which Debian release are you running??

Squeeze

That script "used" to be for KDE context menu a long time ago.

cat: /home//.DCOPserver_tony-lx_:0: No such file or directory
call failed
QLayout "unnamed" added to Klamav "KlamAV ", which already has a layout

Does anyone have any clues to what this means, and more importantly,
how
to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Has the process previously worked successfully??

No. I recently installed it with synaptic, configured it to scan my
home, and left it at that.
It seems to be looking for .DCOPserver_tony-lx_:0 in /home, whereas that
file actually exists in /home/tony.

I had no problem manually scanning a home directoy using Klamav - when I
used Klamav to setup a scheduled scan it created:-
~/.klamav/ScanWithKlamav_timestring.sh

After looking (quickly) at that script I suspect (strongly) that the
${USER} is probably not being populated. You could try replacing it with
the hardcoded value eg:-
line 6 would become:-
DCOPSERVER=`cat /home/tony/.DCOPserver_${HOSTNAME}_ | grep local`

In fact I suggest replace the HOSTNAME variable as well as your error
string doesn't contain either the $USER or the $HOSTNAME (the script
populates $HOSTNAME with 'hostname' which doesn't seem helpful.

If that solves the problem please file a bug report.

- Doing a manual scan works fine, as you found.

- My crontab was appended (presumably by the installer) with:

# KlamAV Scheduled Scan of /home/tony/
0 6 * * * /home/tony/.klamav/ScanWithKlamav_170811104108.sh
'/home/tony/'

# This file was written by KlamAV using code disembowelled from KCron.
# KCron is (c) 1999, Gary Meyer; if your cron file looks screwed up
# then that is probably (c) Robert Hogan and you should file a bug report.
# Original notice from KCron reads:
# Although KCron supports most crontab formats, use care when editing.
# Note: Lines beginning with "#" indicates a disabled task.

- My $USER is set in my login environment, but presumably not in the
cron environment:

tony@tony-lx:~$ echo $USER
tony

- The Hostname (tony-lx) is actually recognised by the script. In fact
it is set within the script:

HOSTNAME=`hostname`
export HOSTNAME

So, it is the lack of $USER that is the problem, as you correctly
observe. I'm not sure whether this should be set by cron; I suspect not.
From man 5 crontab:

----
Several environment variables are set up automatically by the cron(8)
daemon. SHELL is set to /bin/sh, and LOGNAME and HOME are set from
the /etc/passwd line of the crontab's owner. PATH is set to
"/usr/bin:/bin". HOME, SHELL, and PATH may be overridden by settings in
the crontab; LOGNAME is the user that the job is running from, and may
not be changed.

(Another note: the LOGNAME variable is sometimes called USER on BSD
systems... on these systems, USER will be set also.)

----

Therefore it appears that (on Linux at least) the KlamAV script should
be using $LOGNAME rather than $USER. I'll amend that, and report back
tomorrow, after the next cron run at 0600.

If it succeeds, and no-one here has alternative suggestions, I'll raise
a bug.

Cheers,
--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org