-   -   Installation on a new laptop. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/569923-installation-new-laptop.html)

Ian Martin 08-30-2011 10:27 AM

Installation on a new laptop.

Hi,I've just had a whole bunch of fun installing on a Dell XPS.* The problems sound similiar, but my impression on the Dell was that it was the Optimus graphics that caused the problem-* neither Intel, NVIDIA or Radeon apparently have any responsibility (except to users of a decrepit OS), so they haven't made any effort to get the software functional for the hardware you bought.* If you google the bumblebee project you'll see the sterling work that has been done to reverse engineer it, and it should hopefully be getting to a distro near you soon.* Essentially, new laptops apparently have stuffed graphics due to a closed code powersaving mechanism.

I eventually managed to get it working with a Linux Mint Debian Edition install; with the (pure) Debian
netinstall the best I got was a terminal with V4l driving the graphics.*
The Ethernet card I still don't have working.* In a rather surprising twist, the wireless works out of the box- go figure (and now that I'm back in my lazyboy I don't have much incentive to figure out the ethernet problem...)

Ian.

>Re: Still can't install wheezy on a 2011 iMacS30/08/11 13:51>Hi again,

>I was directed to the wiki:

>http://wiki.debian.org/iMacIntel

>Apparently this section has been updated:

>Update (2011/08/12) : aluminium iMac Intel 12,1 / Wheezy , see the
>"video" section.

>However this didn't work for me.* Even applying the radeon.modeset=0
>line in the boot parameters just leads to a blank screen with a flashing
>cursor at the top.* Booting into rescue mode gives me a
root shell, and