Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Alan Chandler

Default Rsync fails on copying large file

I use Rsync between two of my machines to facilitate regular backups.
In the case I have a problem with I am attempting to copy a file using
the double colon (: method to talk to the rsync daemon on the
receiving end.

I have been having regular failures of this backup and have traced it
down to copying a 60Gb .vdi (Virtual Box virtual disk image). The
manual command, and error I received when I just tried it was...

rsync Windows 7 Development Environment.vdi
owl::alan/backup/"VirtualBox VMs"/"Windows 7 Development Environment"/
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (2966704 bytes received so far)
[sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601)
[sender=3.0.8]

Although I says only 2M has been transferred, it took quite a long time
to get to this position, although there is an existing image (somewhat
older) that has been copied previously, so I am assuming this could be
the result of a comparison of changes.

Is there anyway round this problem with extra options etc.

NOTE: This file is sitting on a snapshotted LVM, as I originally
thought the failure could have been updates to it whilst it was copying.
In the trial above the virtual machine was not running, so I am
confident that there were no background changes to the file.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Archive: 4E5CA5A2.1030103@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4E5CA5A2.1030103@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 08-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Johann Spies

Hallo Alan,

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:56:02AM +0200, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I use Rsync between two of my machines to facilitate regular backups.
> In the case I have a problem with I am attempting to copy a file using
> the double colon (: method to talk to the rsync daemon on the
> receiving end.
>
> I have been having regular failures of this backup and have traced it
> down to copying a 60Gb .vdi (Virtual Box virtual disk image). The
> manual command, and error I received when I just tried it was...

Did you specify a folder/directory for rsync to use as temporary space
and did that folder have enough space for a 60Gb file? If you do not
specify it, it will use /tmp and I have in the past sometimes
experienced problems because /tmp did not have enough space for a very
large file.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder / Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

"Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season;
reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and
doctrine." II Timothy 4:2

Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Alan Chandler

I use Rsync between two of my machines to facilitate regular backups.
In the case I have a problem with I am attempting to copy a file using
the double colon (: method to talk to the rsync daemon on the
receiving end.

I have been having regular failures of this backup and have traced it
down to copying a 60Gb .vdi (Virtual Box virtual disk image). The
manual command, and error I received when I just tried it was...

Did you specify a folder/directory for rsync to use as temporary space
and did that folder have enough space for a 60Gb file? If you do not
specify it, it will use /tmp and I have in the past sometimes
experienced problems because /tmp did not have enough space for a very
large file.

I didn't specify it, and according to the man page it will use the same
directory as the receiving file. This is in a partition with 151GB free.

I tried to check it, even with the --partial flag, I can't find any
evidence of any new section of file reaching the destination

--

Archive: 4E5D23E1.6080209@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4E5D23E1.6080209@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 08-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Alan Chandler

I use Rsync between two of my machines to facilitate regular backups. In
the case I have a problem with I am attempting to copy a file using the
double colon (: method to talk to the rsync daemon on the receiving end.

I have been having regular failures of this backup and have traced it
down to copying a 60Gb .vdi (Virtual Box virtual disk image). The manual
command, and error I received when I just tried it was...

rsync Windows 7 Development Environment.vdi
owl::alan/backup/"VirtualBox VMs"/"Windows 7 Development Environment"/
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (2966704 bytes received so far)
[sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601)
[sender=3.0.8]

After several failed attempts I replaced the :: method with a single
colon one (ie uses ssh) and it works perfectly.

So either there is a setting I need in rsyncd.conf or there is a bug in
this form of the protocol?

--

Archive: 4E5E1B0F.3060407@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4E5E1B0F.3060407@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 08-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Alan Chandler

After several failed attempts I replaced the :: method with a single
colon one (ie uses ssh) and it works perfectly.

So either there is a setting I need in rsyncd.conf or there is a bug in
this form of the protocol?

It turns out to be a timeout problem in rsyncd.conf I had set a timeout
of 10 minutes on the daemon, and it turns out not to have been long enough.

I increased it to 30 minutes, and my copy now completes OK.