Old 09-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Liam O'Toole

Default What is the right way to use consolekit with startx?

On 2011-08-31, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue 30 Aug 2011 at 21:48:47 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
>> The simplest solution I have found is to override the default consolekit
>> permissions. In the case of suspend and hibernate, these are specified
>> in the file /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.upower.policy.
>> To override, create a new file in
>> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/, give it a .pkla extension, and
>> add the following content:
>>
>> [upower]
>> Identity=unix-user:*
>> Action=org.freedesktop.upower.*
>> ResultAny=yes
>>
>> With that, I have the freedom to suspend and hibernate when using slim
>> and startx. I have been able to remove gdm3, an important step towards
>> removing all things GNOME-y in wheezy :-)
>
> This appears to be a very elegant solution and far better than
> downgrading consolekit or altering a file in /etc/pam.d. For a start, it
> gives better granuality and flexibility. It also has the the advantage
> of fitting in better with the existing consolekt/policykit setups, For
> example, I changed the second line to 'Identity=unix-groupowerdev' to
> reflect the usual Debian way of allowing users to access a service.

I think consolekit is intended to be decoupled from traditional user
groups, some of which may be removed in the future. See #568895 for
example.

> Apologies for being a little lazy but is there documentation for the
> stanza you have given above? I'd guess it's something to do with d-bus
> but would not be surprised to be wrong.

The pklocalauthority man page has all the details.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 10-01-2011, 06:30 PM
"Kamil Polok"

Try the following in .xinitrc:

exec ck-launch-session <window-manager-startup-command>

Regards,
KP

Old 10-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Brian

On Sat 01 Oct 2011 at 20:30:25 +0200, Kamil Polok wrote:

> Try the following in .xinitrc:
>
> exec ck-launch-session <window-manager-startup-command>

Does this work? As in: you have tested it on an ustable install and
found it to work whether startx or xdm is used.