Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Geoffrey Smith

Default no ethernet card detected

Hello, I am trying to do a new installation of Debian 6.0 on a Dell Optiplex 790 computer.* The graphical installer does not detect the ethernet card and hangs.* The actual ethernet card on the machine is an Intel 82579LM.* Does anybody know a solution to this problem?* Thank you very much.* Geoff

Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Brian

On Mon 29 Aug 2011 at 15:42:10 -0600, Geoffrey Smith wrote:

> Hello, I am trying to do a new installation of Debian 6.0 on a Dell Optiplex
> 790 computer. The graphical installer does not detect the ethernet card and
> hangs. The actual ethernet card on the machine is an Intel 82579LM. Does
> anybody know a solution to this problem? Thank you very much. Geoff

It should be possible to proceed beyond the network card detection stage
and complete the installation of the base system. Then this might prove
useful:

http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Dell/LatitudeE6420/squeeze

Alternatively, you could download on of these:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

Old 08-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Chris Davies

Geoffrey Smith <gps@asu.edu> wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to do a new installation of Debian 6.0 on a Dell Optiplex
> 790 computer. The graphical installer does not detect the ethernet card and
> hangs. The actual ethernet card on the machine is an Intel 82579LM. Does
> anybody know a solution to this problem? Thank you very much. Geoff

Are you aware of this?

Chris

Old 08-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:42:10 -0600, Geoffrey Smith wrote:

> Hello, I am trying to do a new installation of Debian 6.0 on a Dell
> Optiplex 790 computer. The graphical installer does not detect the
> ethernet card and hangs. The actual ethernet card on the machine is an
> Intel 82579LM. Does anybody know a solution to this problem? Thank you
> very much.

Known problem:

Did not support Intel 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet (needs current e1000e)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón