Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 PM

Default Exim4 configuration with rewriting for smarthost

For a week I have been searching without success for a guide to
configuration of Exim4 for a personal system which utilizes the
smarthost of an isp to handle outgoing mail and a web hosting service
to host a web site.

In this scheme -- which I think is not atypical -- three different
user names are involved, as well as a hostname which is not a FQDN.

Here are the particulars:

%%%%%%%

(1) software:

=> Debian Squeeze

=> mta = Exim4

=> mua = mutt

(2) localhost:

=> hostname = "beepbeep"

=> username = "wec" (the initials of user Wile E. Coyote)

(3) isp mail servers:

=> isp smarthost = "smtp.roadrunner.net"

=> isp pop3 server = "pop3.roadrunner.net"

=> mail is fetched by getmail from:

(1) the pop3 server of the isp, and

(2) from the pop3 server of the web hosting outfit

=> mail username = "wileecoyote@roadrunner.net"

=> mail password = "hungry"

=> In order to agree with the web site, outgoing correspondence
should have the From: address "wiley@acme.com" (and not
"wec@acme.com", and not "wec@beepbeep").

(4) web site hosted by a web hosting outfit:

=> URL = "www.acme.com"

=> mail address associated with the web site = "wiley@acme.com"

=> reply-to address for web site correspondence = "wiley@acme.com"

%%%%%%%

Old 08-30-2011, 01:24 AM
Kumar Appaiah

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 02:41:48PM -0500, rlharris@hal-pc.org wrote:
> For a week I have been searching without success for a guide to
> configuration of Exim4 for a personal system which utilizes the
> smarthost of an isp to handle outgoing mail and a web hosting service
> to host a web site.

To the best of my knowledge, using an ISP to relay is covered in this
tutorial for GMail, but should be adaptable to your situation:

http://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4

Apologies if this wasn't what you expected; but in general, one of the
cases of exim4-config s what you'd want, to the best of my
understanding.

Kumar
--
This kernel runs like a dessicated slug if you have more than 2G of memory
due to a 32-bit overflow.

-- Andrew Morton, on Linux 2.6.8-rc1-mm1

Old 08-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:41:48 -0500, rlharris wrote:

> For a week I have been searching without success for a guide to
> configuration of Exim4 for a personal system which utilizes the
> smarthost of an isp to handle outgoing mail and a web hosting service to
> host a web site.

(...)

For that kind of setup, you basically need to instruct Exim4 to act as a
client mailer which connects to the remote server (your ISP mail server)
and provides the required authentication data (smtp auth) so Exim4 can be
able to relay e-mails to remote servers through your ISP.

Kumar already gave you a guide to setup Gmail as smarthost but it should
be the same for your ISP, even easier if it does not use SSL (smtps) for
the outgoing connections.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón