-   -   Still can't install wheezy on a 2011 iMacS (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/569457-still-cant-install-wheezy-2011-imacs.html)

Mike Hore 08-29-2011 11:51 AM

Still can't install wheezy on a 2011 iMacS

Sorry if this appears twice, but it seems that the way I wrote my
original post it came out as a followup on an existing thread rather
than a new one, which is what it was meant to be.

----

This issue now exists as bug# 637284. If you're interested, you can see
the history of our investigation at

I'm posting this the the debian-user list, to get a wider readership and
find if there's been anybody yet who has been able to install wheezy --
or ANY Debian version -- on a new iMac. There appear to be issues with
the video driver and ethernet card, and possibly other things as well.
(I see there have been similar problems with Ubuntu and OpenSUSE).

Cheers, Mike.

Archive: 4E5B7D2C.7060209@aapt.net.au">http://lists.debian.org/4E5B7D2C.7060209@aapt.net.au

Mike Hore 08-30-2011 01:51 AM

Still can't install wheezy on a 2011 iMacS

Hi again,

I was directed to the wiki:

http://wiki.debian.org/iMacIntel

Apparently this section has been updated:

Update (2011/08/12) : aluminium iMac Intel 12,1 / Wheezy , see the
"video" section.

However this didn't work for me. Even applying the radeon.modeset=0
line in the boot parameters just leads to a blank screen with a flashing
cursor at the top. Booting into rescue mode gives me a root shell, and
I applied the suggested updates to /etc/apt/sources.list, but aptitude
update failed with messages saying the server locations couldn't be
resolved. I tried a ping to the actual IP address, but got the message
"Network unreachable".

So I'm still stuck. I think this could possibly be bug # 627705, lack
of kernel support for the Broadcom ethernet card. But I'm not sure. My
installer was a weekly build from a few weeks ago -- should I try a
later build? I don't want to take the time if I'm just going to end up
in the same place.

Cheers, Mike.