Old 08-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Csányi Pál

Default Upgrading Squeeze to SID

Hi,

I want to upgrade my desktop Debian Squeeze to Debian SID.

I'm serching for howto how can I achieve my goal on debian website but
without any success.

http://www.debian.org/releases/sid/
doesn't provide me with any information about upgrading from the stable
or testing version to SID.

Any advices will be appreciated!

--
Best Regards,
Pal

Archive: 4E5B6FAB.8050402@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E5B6FAB.8050402@gmail.com

Old 08-29-2011, 11:05 AM
SZERVÁC Attila

Hello, Pali!

R U a Debian Developer?

If not, DON'T upgrade to *UNSTABLE* ('sid') distribution. 'sid' is the
*UNSTABLE*, *very buggy*, *INCONSISTENT* distribution for *Debian
developers only* - if U want new packages, use Debian Backports or
*testing* (wheezy).

Old 08-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Csányi Pál

Hello Attila!

> 2011/8/29 Csányi Pál<csanyipal@gmail.com>:

>> I want to upgrade my desktop Debian Squeeze to Debian SID.
>>
>> I'm serching for howto how can I achieve my goal on debian website but
>> without any success.
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/sid/
>> doesn't provide me with any information about upgrading from the
stable or

>> testing version to SID.
>>
>> Any advices will be appreciated!

R U a Debian Developer?

No, I'm not.

If not, DON'T upgrade to *UNSTABLE* ('sid') distribution. 'sid' is the
*UNSTABLE*, *very buggy*, *INCONSISTENT* distribution for *Debian
developers only* - if U want new packages, use Debian Backports or
*testing* (wheezy).

There are a distribution based on the Debian GNU/Linux unstable branch,
codenamed sid: http://aptosid.com

Aptosid uses packages from Debian SID repository.

For me it's best to me to use Debian SID than Aptosid.

--
Best Regards, Pal

Archive: 4E5B73D5.1000403@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E5B73D5.1000403@gmail.com

Old 08-29-2011, 11:21 AM
SZERVÁC Attila

2011/8/29 Csányi Pál <csanyipal@gmail.com>:
>> If not, DON'T upgrade to *UNSTABLE* ('sid') distribution. 'sid' is the
>> *UNSTABLE*, *very buggy*, *INCONSISTENT* distribution for *Debian
>> developers only* - if U want new packages, use Debian Backports or *testing* (wheezy).
>
> There are a distribution based on the Debian GNU/Linux unstable branch,
> codenamed sid: http://aptosid.com
> Aptosid uses packages from Debian SID repository.
>
> For me it's best to me to use Debian SID than Aptosid.

For reasons above, there is no HOWTO about upgrade to sid

y do U think that 'sid' is best to U despite its buggy nature? Sid is
buggy & only 10 days ahead of Wheezy which is an acceptable (good)
choice for purpose of a single desktop installation. IMO.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Lisi

On Monday 29 August 2011 12:05:47 SZERVÁC Attila wrote:
> R U a Debian Developer?
>
> If not, DON'T upgrade to *UNSTABLE* ('sid') distribution. 'sid' is the
> *UNSTABLE*, *very buggy*, *INCONSISTENT* distribution for *Debian
> developers only* - if U want new packages, use Debian Backports or
> *testing* (wheezy).

That is a little harsh. Many people run Sid who are not DDs. Only run Sid if
you are adept at sorting out problems and can cope if a package (perhaps one
you use daily) is broken for a while: days, or perhaps a week, not months or
years.

Lisi

Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Jochen Spieker

Csányi Pál:

> I want to upgrade my desktop Debian Squeeze to Debian SID.
>
> I'm serching for howto how can I achieve my goal on debian website
> but without any success.

The canonical answer is "If you don't know how to do that, you are most
probably not prepared to run sid." The helpful answer is "Add sid
entries to your sources.list and do an apt-get dist-upgrade (or aptitude
full-upgrade if you prefer that)."

J.
--
When you put a gun to my head you aren't fooling anyone.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 08-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Brian

On Mon 29 Aug 2011 at 13:45:54 +0200, Jochen Spieker wrote:

> The canonical answer is "If you don't know how to do that, you are most
> probably not prepared to run sid." The helpful answer is "Add sid
> entries to your sources.list and do an apt-get dist-upgrade (or aptitude
> full-upgrade if you prefer that)."

I'd just replace wherever it says 'squeeze' with 'unstable' but it's not
terribly important. Doing 'apt-get update' before 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
is though.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Jochen Spieker

Brian:
> On Mon 29 Aug 2011 at 13:45:54 +0200, Jochen Spieker wrote:
>
>> The canonical answer is "If you don't know how to do that, you are most
>> probably not prepared to run sid." The helpful answer is "Add sid
>> entries to your sources.list and do an apt-get dist-upgrade (or aptitude
>> full-upgrade if you prefer that)."
>
> I'd just replace wherever it says 'squeeze' with 'unstable' but it's not
> terribly important.

I always keep testing entries in case I want to install an old version
easily.

> Doing 'apt-get update' before 'apt-get dist-upgrade' is though.

This was of course a test! ;-)

J.
--
I can tell a Whopper[tm] from a BigMac[tm] and Coke[tm] from Pepsi[tm].
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 08-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Csányi Pál

Brian:

The canonical answer is "If you don't know how to do that, you are most
probably not prepared to run sid." The helpful answer is "Add sid
entries to your sources.list and do an apt-get dist-upgrade (or aptitude
full-upgrade if you prefer that)."

I'd just replace wherever it says 'squeeze' with 'unstable' but it's not
terribly important.

I always keep testing entries in case I want to install an old version
easily.

So you are mixing testing and unstable versions?

--
Best Regards, Pal

Archive: 4E5B9916.50009@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E5B9916.50009@gmail.com

Old 08-29-2011, 02:10 PM