Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Mike Hore

Default Still can't install wheezy on a 2011 iMac

This issue now exists as bug# 637284. If you're interested, you can see
the history of our investigation at

I'm posting this the the debian-user list, to get a wider readership and
find if there's been anybody yet who has been able to install wheezy --
or ANY Debian version -- on a new iMac. There appear to be issues with
the video driver and ethernet card, and possibly other things as well.
(I see there have been similar problems with Ubuntu and OpenSUSE).

Cheers, Mike.

Archive: 4E5B62BD.1080809@aapt.net.au">http://lists.debian.org/4E5B62BD.1080809@aapt.net.au

Old 08-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Lisi

On Monday 29 August 2011 10:58:21 Mike Hore wrote:
> This issue now exists as bug# 637284. If you're interested, you can see
> the history of our investigation at
>
> I'm posting this the the debian-user list, to get a wider readership and
> find if there's been anybody yet who has been able to install wheezy --
> or ANY Debian version -- on a new iMac. There appear to be issues with
> the video driver and ethernet card, and possibly other things as well.
> (I see there have been similar problems with Ubuntu and OpenSUSE).
>
> Cheers, Mike.

> Mike Hore mike_hore@aapt.net.au

You will get more responses if you start a new thread rather than highjacking
one. Many people delete or ignore threads that do not interest them.

Lisi

Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Mike Hore

Hi all,

It's been a few weeks now, so I'm wondering if there's been any progress
on this. I think the relevant bugs are #637284 and 627705 - neither
have had any activity during these few weeks. Is everybody on holidays??

-- Mike.

Hi again,

I was directed to the wiki:

http://wiki.debian.org/iMacIntel

Apparently this section has been updated:

Update (2011/08/12) : aluminium iMac Intel 12,1 / Wheezy , see the
"video" section.

However this didn't work for me. Even applying the radeon.modeset=0 line
in the boot parameters just leads to a blank screen with a flashing
cursor at the top. Booting into rescue mode gives me a root shell, and I
applied the suggested updates to /etc/apt/sources.list, but aptitude
update failed with messages saying the server locations couldn't be
resolved. I tried a ping to the actual IP address, but got the message
"Network unreachable".

So I'm still stuck. I think this could possibly be bug # 627705, lack of
kernel support for the Broadcom ethernet card. But I'm not sure. My
installer was a weekly build from a few weeks ago -- should I try a
later build? I don't want to take the time if I'm just going to end up
in the same place.

Archive: 4E6E947D.5090409@aapt.net.au">http://lists.debian.org/4E6E947D.5090409@aapt.net.au

Old 09-16-2011, 05:56 AM
Mike Hore

Hi again --

Hmm... no replies. I take it then that NOBODY is running Debian on one
of this year's iMacs?? Maybe I should just go away and try again in a
few months?

Cheers, Mike.

Archive: 4E72E4F6.7040902@aapt.net.au">http://lists.debian.org/4E72E4F6.7040902@aapt.net.au

Old 09-16-2011, 06:18 AM
Miles Bader

Mike Hore <mike_hore@aapt.net.au> writes:
> Hmm... no replies. I take it then that NOBODY is running Debian on one
> of this year's iMacs?? Maybe I should just go away and try again in a
> few months?

Hmm, remember only a fraction of debian users actually use the mailing
lists... (and I suppose even some devs may not read the user list)

-Miles

--
Friendship, n. A ship big enough to carry two in fair weather, but only one
in foul.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:30 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 16/09/11 15:56, Mike Hore wrote:
> Hi again --
>
> Hmm... no replies. I take it then that NOBODY is running Debian on one
> of this year's iMacs?? Maybe I should just go away and try again in a
> few months?
>
> Cheers, Mike.

I don't run a Mac - or I'd have posted earlier, but... it appears that
other people do - including the wiki page author Kereoz (Christophe Hauser).

NOTE: "latest" Mac and "aluminium iMac Intel 12,1" doesn't mean anything
to me... so apologies if you've already looked at these and/or they're
not relevant.

http://charles.plessy.org/Debian/debi%C3%A2neries/iMac/ [*1]
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian/dists/wheezy/
I have no idea how authoritive this writer is:-
http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/2929.html
(I've certainly seen Debian running on a very recent hi-end Mac laptop
earlier this year - so it is possible).

and of course Kereoz's MacIntel kernel page (seems it hasn't been
updated in a few years):-
http://kereoz.alwaysdata.net/index.php?page=kernel

You could also try the macintel developers list:-
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mactel-linux-devel
or their archives:-
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=mactel-linux-devel

And Arch might provide some useful tips:-

>> Hi all,
>>
>> It's been a few weeks now, so I'm wondering if there's been any progress
>> on this. I think the relevant bugs are #637284 and 627705 - neither have
>> had any activity during these few weeks. Is everybody on holidays??
>>
>> -- Mike.
>>
>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> I was directed to the wiki:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.debian.org/iMacIntel
>>>
>>> Apparently this section has been updated:
>>>
>>> Update (2011/08/12) : aluminium iMac Intel 12,1 / Wheezy , see the
>>> "video" section.
>>>
>>> However this didn't work for me. Even applying the radeon.modeset=0 line
>>> in the boot parameters just leads to a blank screen with a flashing
>>> cursor at the top.

Have you tried disabling frame buffer mode?

>>> Booting into rescue mode gives me a root shell, and I
>>> applied the suggested updates to /etc/apt/sources.list, but aptitude
>>> update failed with messages saying the server locations couldn't be
>>> resolved. I tried a ping to the actual IP address, but got the message
>>> "Network unreachable".

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian/dists/wheezy/
is definitely there, and responding - that *is* the address referenced
by the /etc/apt/sources.list entry of:-
deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian wheezy main contrib non-free

ie. the following *won't* work:-
ping http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian
(because there's no such URL)

>>> So I'm still stuck. I think this could possibly be bug # 627705, lack of
>>> kernel support for the Broadcom ethernet card. But I'm not sure. My
>>> installer was a weekly build from a few weeks ago -- should I try a
>>> later build? I don't want to take the time if I'm just going to end up
>>> in the same place.

Can't you manually download the packages from another machine?

>>> Cheers, Mike.

>>> Mike Hore mike_hore@aapt.net.au

Cheers

[*1]
http://source.charles-plessy-org.branchable.com/?p=source.git;a=history;f=Debian/debi%C3%A2neries/iMac.en.po;hb=HEAD

--
"I ascribe to Mark Twain's theory that the last person who should be
President is the one who wants it the most. The one who should be picked

Old 09-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Mike Hore

Hi Scott,

Hmm... no replies. I take it then that NOBODY is running Debian on one
of this year's iMacs?? Maybe I should just go away and try again in a
few months?

Cheers, Mike.

I don't run a Mac - or I'd have posted earlier, but... it appears that
other people do - including the wiki page author Kereoz (Christophe Hauser).

I'd like to contact him directly but couldn't work out his email address.

NOTE: "latest" Mac and "aluminium iMac Intel 12,1" doesn't mean anything
to me... so apologies if you've already looked at these and/or they're
not relevant.

Thanks. I had looked at that and I think I've got the video problem
sorted out -- but the boot is still hanging at a later stage as I
explained in my earlier post.

Cheers, Mike.

Archive: 4E730206.9090907@aapt.net.au">http://lists.debian.org/4E730206.9090907@aapt.net.au

Old 09-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Stephen Allen

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 06:00:06PM +1000, Mike Hore wrote:

> Thanks. I had looked at that and I think I've got the video problem
> sorted out -- but the boot is still hanging at a later stage as I
> explained in my earlier post.
>
> Cheers, Mike.

There is a Debian Mac list; probably get better help there too.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Mike Hore

Thanks. I had looked at that and I think I've got the video problem
sorted out -- but the boot is still hanging at a later stage as I
explained in my earlier post.

Cheers, Mike.

There is a Debian Mac list; probably get better help there too.

Thanks -- I knew there was a PowerPC list (which I subscribe to as I
have a G5) but I'll check for Debian Mac.

Cheers, Mike.

Archive: 4E769A3F.7050900@aapt.net.au">http://lists.debian.org/4E769A3F.7050900@aapt.net.au

Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 AM
Mike Hore

I wrote:

Thanks. I had looked at that and I think I've got the video problem
sorted out -- but the boot is still hanging at a later stage as I
explained in my earlier post.

Cheers, Mike.

There is a Debian Mac list; probably get better help there too.

Thanks -- I knew there was a PowerPC list (which I subscribe to as I
have a G5) but I'll check for Debian Mac.

Sorry Stephen, but there doesn't seem to be any such list. Were you
thinking of the PPC list?

-- Mike.