Old 08-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Erwan David

Default Why does CUPS recommend Samba?

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:30:35AM CEST, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> said:
> <quote>
> lisi@Tux:~/Python$ aptitude why samba-common
> i cups Recommends smbclient (>= 3.0.9)
> i A smbclient Depends samba-common (= 2:3.2.5-4lenny15)
> lisi@Tux:~/Python$
> </quote>
>
> I was intending to purge Samba from my system, but ran a few checks first. Is
> there a good (i.e. compelling) reason for CUPS's wanting Samba?
>
> Lisi

Cups has a backend for using a windows printing server through samba.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Lisi

On Monday 29 August 2011 10:39:19 Erwan David wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:30:35AM CEST, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> said:
> > <quote>
> > lisi@Tux:~/Python$ aptitude why samba-common
> > i cups Recommends smbclient (>= 3.0.9)
> > i A smbclient Depends samba-common (= 2:3.2.5-4lenny15)
> > lisi@Tux:~/Python$
> > </quote>
> >
> > I was intending to purge Samba from my system, but ran a few checks
> > first. Is there a good (i.e. compelling) reason for CUPS's wanting
> > Samba?
> >
> > Lisi
>
> Cups has a backend for using a windows printing server through samba.

Thanks for that. So I can safely delete it!

Lisi

Old 08-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 29/08/11 19:30, Lisi wrote:

<quote>
lisi@Tux:~/Python$ aptitude why samba-common
i cups Recommends smbclient (>= 3.0.9)
i A smbclient Depends samba-common (= 2:3.2.5-4lenny15)
lisi@Tux:~/Python$
</quote>

I was intending to purge Samba from my system, but ran a few checks first. Is
there a good (i.e. compelling) reason for CUPS's wanting Samba?

Lisi

Windoof printer compatibility - so you can share with the poor peons ;-p

Cheers

--
"I've got a bathtub and an imagination, I'm staying indoors this summer.
That way I can listen to music that I like."

Archive: 4E5B63C2.3030509@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E5B63C2.3030509@gmail.com

Old 08-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:30:35 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> <quote>
> lisi@Tux:~/Python$ aptitude why samba-common
> i cups Recommends smbclient (>= 3.0.9)
> i A smbclient Depends samba-common (=> 2:3.2.5-4lenny15)
> lisi@Tux:~/Python$
> </quote>
>
> I was intending to purge Samba from my system, but ran a few checks
> first. Is there a good (i.e. compelling) reason for CUPS's wanting
> Samba?

As Erwan already said, a samba server can share printers to windows
clients by means of Cups but it's only a recommended package, you can
safely ignore that.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón