Old 08-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default xorg configuration

AFAIK no, you need to configure it by trial and error . If you are
using a CRT and you have good luck some of the "modeline calculators" in
the web might help you.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:36 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 29/08/11 04:54, Andreas Berglund wrote:

I have xorg on autodetect, but it frequently gets things wrong about the
resolution the monitor provides. When it gets things right is there any
way to extract the configuration of the running instane of xorg into a
configuration file?

/Andreas

On Squeeze man Xorg says:-

-configure
When this option is specified, the Xorg server loads all
video driver modules, probes for available hardware, and
writes out an initial xorg.conf(5) file based on what was
detected. This option currently has some problems on some
platforms, but in most cases it is a good way to bootstrap
the configuration process. This option is only available
when the server is run as root (i.e, with real-uid 0).

My suggestion would be:-
# /etc/init.d/gdm stop
# Xorg -configure
# /etc/init.d/gdm start

Substitute kdm for gdm with KDE

Cheers

--
"I've got a bathtub and an imagination, I'm staying indoors this summer.
That way I can listen to music that I like."

Archive: 4E5AED05.1010800@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E5AED05.1010800@gmail.com

Old 08-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Brian

On Sun 28 Aug 2011 at 20:54:58 +0200, Andreas Berglund wrote:

> I have xorg on autodetect, but it frequently gets things wrong about the
> resolution the monitor provides. When it gets things right is there any
> way to extract the configuration of the running instane of xorg into a
> configuration file?

You may want an /etc/X11/xorg.conf which is something like this:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "1905FP"
Modeline "1280x1024_60.00" 109.00 1280 1368 1496 1712 1024 1027 1034 1063 -hsync +vsync
HorizSync 30-81
VertRefresh 56-76
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "1905FP"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1280x1024_60.00"
EndSubSection
EndSection

The Modeline information could come from /var/log/Xorg.0.log I suppose,
but I used cvt to generate it.

cvt 1280 1024