Old 08-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Dirk Weinhardt

Default How does apt select and priotize translations?

Hello list,

I am about to install a particular package from wheezy on a squeeze
system. Packages from wheezy should be pinned to a priority of 50. While
configuring and testing apt I found that apt searches for German
translations although the system's locale is en_US.utf8 and pinning
priorities seem not to be applied to translations.

I have added wheezy main to sources.list:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main

And I have assigned a pin priority of 50 to testing in apt's preferences:
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 50

The system's local initially was de_DE and I have changed that to
en_US.utf8 by running "dpkg-reconfigure locales". "locale" shows
"LANG=en_US.utf8" and "locale -a" does not list any de locale.

Why is apt still querying German translations and how can that be avoided?

Furthermore, wheezy translations are assigned a priority of 500. I would
expect them to have a priority of 50.

"apt-cache policy" output:
Package files:
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
release a=now
500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main Translation-de
50 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
release o=Debian,a=testing,n=wheezy,l=Debian,c=main
origin ftp.debian.org
500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/non-free i386 Packages
release
o=Debian,a=stable-updates,n=squeeze-updates,l=Debian,c=non-free

origin ftp.debian.org
[snip]
500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-de
500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/non-free i386 Packages
release v=6.0.2.1,o=Debian,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Debian,c=n on-free
origin ftp.debian.org
500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib i386 Packages
release v=6.0.2.1,o=Debian,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Debian,c=c ontrib
origin ftp.debian.org
500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main i386 Packages
release v=6.0.2.1,o=Debian,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Debian,c=m ain
origin ftp.debian.org
Pinned packages:

Or should I not care about this at all since these translations only
contain package descriptions?

Thanks for your assistance,

Dirk

Archive: 4E5A2C8D.7080309@weinhardt.biz">http://lists.debian.org/4E5A2C8D.7080309@weinhardt.biz

Old 09-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:54:53 +0200, Dirk Weinhardt wrote:

> I am about to install a particular package from wheezy on a squeeze
> system. Packages from wheezy should be pinned to a priority of 50. While
> configuring and testing apt I found that apt searches for German
> translations although the system's locale is en_US.utf8 and pinning
> priorities seem not to be applied to translations.
>
> I have added wheezy main to sources.list: deb
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main
>
> And I have assigned a pin priority of 50 to testing in apt's
> preferences: Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 50
>
> The system's local initially was de_DE and I have changed that to
> en_US.utf8 by running "dpkg-reconfigure locales". "locale" shows
> "LANG=en_US.utf8" and "locale -a" does not list any de locale.
>
> Why is apt still querying German translations and how can that be
> avoided?

(...)

Mmm, interesting question.

I have "es" (Spanish) and "en" (English) locales in my wheezy system and
get sporadic updates for both -sometimes Spanish, sometimes English and
sometimes for both- package descriptions but true is that I never paid
attention on this because I guess it only affects to "descriptions" not
the packages nor application themselves :-?

Anyway, I would also like to know how this is managed, I mean, if
language package descriptions updates depend on the number of locale(s)
defined in the system or if it takes their settings from another source.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Darac Marjal

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 02:12:26PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:54:53 +0200, Dirk Weinhardt wrote:
>
> > I am about to install a particular package from wheezy on a squeeze
> > system. Packages from wheezy should be pinned to a priority of 50. While
> > configuring and testing apt I found that apt searches for German
> > translations although the system's locale is en_US.utf8 and pinning
> > priorities seem not to be applied to translations.
> >
> > I have added wheezy main to sources.list: deb
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main
> >
> > And I have assigned a pin priority of 50 to testing in apt's
> > preferences: Package: *
> > Pin: release a=testing
> > Pin-Priority: 50
> >
> > The system's local initially was de_DE and I have changed that to
> > en_US.utf8 by running "dpkg-reconfigure locales". "locale" shows
> > "LANG=en_US.utf8" and "locale -a" does not list any de locale.
> >
> > Why is apt still querying German translations and how can that be
> > avoided?
>
> (...)
>
> Mmm, interesting question.
>
> I have "es" (Spanish) and "en" (English) locales in my wheezy system and
> get sporadic updates for both -sometimes Spanish, sometimes English and
> sometimes for both- package descriptions but true is that I never paid
> attention on this because I guess it only affects to "descriptions" not
> the packages nor application themselves :-?
>
> Anyway, I would also like to know how this is managed, I mean, if
> language package descriptions updates depend on the number of locale(s)
> defined in the system or if it takes their settings from another source.

According to 'man apt.conf', Acquire::Languages can be set to declare
which translations one wants downloading. The pseudo-language
"environment" (which is part of the default setting) specifies that apt
should check $LC_MESSAGES. However, if this doesn't include a "de"
language, then it might actually be that Acquire::Languages was set at
install time.

Check /etc/apt/apt-conf.d/* for Acquire::Languages.

> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Darac Marjal

Old 09-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 15:29:49 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 02:12:26PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:54:53 +0200, Dirk Weinhardt wrote:

(...)

>> > Why is apt still querying German translations and how can that be
>> > avoided?
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Mmm, interesting question.
>>
>> I have "es" (Spanish) and "en" (English) locales in my wheezy system
>> and get sporadic updates for both -sometimes Spanish, sometimes English
>> and sometimes for both- package descriptions but true is that I never
>> paid attention on this because I guess it only affects to
>> "descriptions" not the packages nor application themselves :-?
>>
>> Anyway, I would also like to know how this is managed, I mean, if
>> language package descriptions updates depend on the number of locale(s)
>> defined in the system or if it takes their settings from another
>> source.
>
> According to 'man apt.conf', Acquire::Languages can be set to declare
> which translations one wants downloading. The pseudo-language
> "environment" (which is part of the default setting) specifies that apt
> should check $LC_MESSAGES. However, if this doesn't include a "de"
> language, then it might actually be that Acquire::Languages was set at
> install time.
>
> Check /etc/apt/apt-conf.d/* for Acquire::Languages.

Thanks much for the detailed explanation :-)

In lenny -which I run in my main computer- "man apt.conf" does not
contain the language section (or I have badly bypassed it...). Good to
know where this setting comes from and how to tweak it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Dirk Weinhardt

According to 'man apt.conf', Acquire::Languages can be set to declare
which translations one wants downloading. The pseudo-language
"environment" (which is part of the default setting) specifies that apt
should check $LC_MESSAGES. However, if this doesn't include a "de"
language, then it might actually be that Acquire::Languages was set at
install time.

Thank you for pointing me to the apt.conf man page. Even after reading
through the Languages section I cannot make sense of apt-get's behavior.

Check /etc/apt/apt-conf.d/* for Acquire::Languages.

Acquire::Languages is not set in any file in /etc/apt/apt-conf.d. I
added the following line to /etc/apt/apt-conf.d/70debconf and re-ran
apt-get update:

Acquire::Languages { "en" };

But apt-get still is querying German translations. Passing -o
"Acquire::Languages=en" to apt-get update does not change the behavior
either.

locale output:
LANG=en_US.utf8
LANGUAGE=en_US.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=en_US.utf8

Finally I noticed that /var/lib/apt/lists contained a few files with
names ending with "Translation-de". After removing this folder apt-get
update does not query any translations any longer and also does not
re-create any "-de" files in /var/lib/apt/lists. Looks like apt-get is
trying to update all lists it ever had cached before.

Cheers, Dirk