Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Scott Ferguson

Default securing the system, stopping unnecessary services and closing open ports.

On 28/08/11 18:37, yudi v wrote:

<snipped>

my system IP for ppp0 is 101.***.***.*** and it's not static.

but from what I can remember all postpaid accounts in Australia have
10.***.***.*** addresses and are behind NAT.

I've yet to see any (non-SLA business class) USB UMTS modems by any of
the major Oz companies pre-paid or post-paid that don't use that
arrangement.

The only way I could SSH
was/by reverse port forwarding.

http://myip.dk/ will give you the remote access address. Just ssh to the
displayed address. I'd suggest you try - it's easier than just believing
everything you read on whirlpool. The signal to noise ratio there can be
bad. Exetel have good tech support - Vodaphail don't even know where
their towers are - and they wouldn't tell you even if they did know.
If you have a static IP plan - the myip.dk displayed address is still
the one you remote into to - *not* the ppp0 inet or p-t-p address.

I eventually ended up getting postpaid.
That's how it works in Australia. I believe you are not in Aus.

They've moved Canberra? Why wasn't I told??

See this post for more info.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1488078

You mean the ex-vodaphone social networking consultant?
NOTE: the person who told you it's not possible to vnc into your machine
is wrong too.

<snipped>

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

--
"You ever noticed how people who believe in Creationism look really
unevolved? You ever noticed that? Eyes real close together, eyebrow

— Bill Hicks

Archive: 4E5A0F41.3050807@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E5A0F41.3050807@gmail.com

Old 08-28-2011, 01:24 PM
yudi v

http://myip.dk/ will give you the remote access address. Just ssh to the displayed address. I'd suggest you try - it's easier than just believing everything you read on whirlpool. The signal to noise ratio there can be bad. Exetel have good tech support - Vodaphail don't even know where their towers are - and they wouldn't tell you even if they did know.

If you have a static IP plan - the myip.dk displayed address is still the one you remote into to - *not* the ppp0 inet or p-t-p address.

Thanks for sharing that info.

*

They've moved Canberra? Why wasn't I told??It's back where it should be now. No need to panic mate.
*

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 08-28-2011, 01:37 PM
yudi v

# apt-get --purge remove libnfsidmap2 nfs-common samba

if you don't use samba at all (cifs-utils samba samba-common samba-common-bin smbfs) then change "samba" to "samba*"

I'd suggest using -s instead of --purge first - just in case samba was originally pulled in by another package which you want to keep.these are the files that will be uninstalled. I cannot see anything in there that* I am using:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
* cifs-utils libnfsidmap2 nfs-common nfs-kernel-server samba samba-common
* samba-common-bin samba-doc smbclient smbfs swat winbind
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 12 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

Remv smbfs [2:4.5-2]
Remv cifs-utils [2:4.5-2]
Remv nfs-kernel-server [1:1.2.2-4]
Remv nfs-common [1:1.2.2-4]
Remv libnfsidmap2 [0.23-2]
Remv swat [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]
Remv samba [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]

Remv winbind [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]
Remv smbclient [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]
Remv samba-common-bin [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]
Remv samba-common [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]
Remv samba-doc [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 AM
yudi v

The following packages will be REMOVED:
* cifs-utils libnfsidmap2 nfs-common nfs-kernel-server samba samba-common
* samba-common-bin samba-doc smbclient smbfs swat winbind
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 12 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

Remv smbfs [2:4.5-2]
Remv cifs-utils [2:4.5-2]
Remv nfs-kernel-server [1:1.2.2-4]
Remv nfs-common [1:1.2.2-4]
Remv libnfsidmap2 [0.23-2]
Remv swat [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]
Remv samba [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]

Remv winbind [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]
Remv smbclient [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]
Remv samba-common-bin [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]
Remv samba-common [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]
Remv samba-doc [2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze5]

I purged the above files but still have* the following service running.
111/tcp open* rpcbind

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Scott Ferguson

I purged the above files but still have� the following service running.
111/tcp open� rpcbind

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Probably portmap...

See if it's installed
$ dpkg --get-selections portmap

If it is, and it bothers you, it can be removed - check and see if
anything uses it:-

# apt-get -s remove portmap | less

If it's the only package to be removed:-
# apt-get --purge remove portmap

Check your port:-
$ netstat -an | grep 111

SUN RPC is another protocol that uses that port.

Cheers

--
"I've got a bathtub and an imagination, I'm staying indoors this summer.
That way I can listen to music that I like."

Archive: 4E5B62B5.7030400@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E5B62B5.7030400@gmail.com

Old 08-29-2011, 12:46 PM
yudi v

Probably portmap...

See if it's installed

$ dpkg --get-selections portmap

If it is, and it bothers you, it can be removed - check and see if anything uses it:-

# apt-get -s remove portmap | less

If it's the only package to be removed:-

# apt-get --purge remove portmap

Check your port:-

$ netstat -an | grep 111

Thanks for that info, once again. Much appreciated.
--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Johann Spies

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 02:46:52PM +0200, yudi v wrote:

> Probably portmap...
>
> See if it's installed
> $ dpkg --get-selections portmap
>
> If it is, and it bothers you, it can be removed - check and see if anything
> uses it:-
> # apt-get -s remove portmap | less
>
> If it's the only package to be removed:-
> # apt-get --purge remove portmap
>
> Check your port:-
> $ netstat -an | grep 111

Or 'netstat -plant' ...

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder / Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

"Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season;
reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and
doctrine." II Timothy 4:2