Old 08-27-2011, 12:27 PM
yudi v

Default Sqeeze, Bluetooth profiles A2DP, AVRCP, HFP working with ALSA - Has anyone got it working?

Hi All,

I am trying to get Bluetooth profiles A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP working with ALSA.
Not much documentation available for ALSA, there are few for Pulseaudio. If there is no possibility of these Bluetooth profiles working with ALSA, probably will go with Pulse.

I came across some discussion but was not conclusive.

Then this one lists how to use it with Pulse

http://www.funzt.info/?p=783

I had Blutooth profiles working under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with Pulse.

All I had to do was make some changes to /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf

I just un-commented the following lines to get A2DP working.

# Just an example of potential config options for the other interfaces
[A2DP]
SBCSources=1
MPEG12Sources=0
This way I could manually switch to either HFP or A2DP - Couldn't figure out how to make both work at the same time.

Under Windows, all the profiles work without much fuss and also switch dynamically between A2DP and HFP when I receive a VOIP call if I am listening to music. Just like when using a mobile phone. This is such a cool feature, I wish to get this working under Linux.

I would like to know if anyone has got this setup working.

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 08-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Johan Grönqvist

I am trying to get Bluetooth profiles A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP working with
ALSA.
Not much documentation available for ALSA, there are few for Pulseaudio.
If there is no possibility of these Bluetooth profiles working with
ALSA, probably will go with Pulse.

When I tried the same thing, I ended up using the command line and/or
scripts that only worked with one device, and this problem is my main
reason to prefer pulse, where there are graphical tools to switch, as
you have probably seen with ubuntu.

[...]

This way I could manually switch to either HFP or A2DP - Couldn't figure
out how to make both work at the same time.

Under Windows, all the profiles work without much fuss and also switch
dynamically between A2DP and HFP when I receive a VOIP call if I am
listening to music.

I have always manually switched under linux, and I miss that
functionality when using my windows installation, as it sometimes gives
me music over the headset profile, which sounds terrible.

Just like when using a mobile phone. This is such a
cool feature,
I wish to get this working under Linux.

Yes, I miss that functionality both in linux and windows.

I would like to know if anyone has got this setup working.

From my experience, I would recommend pulse. Pulse under debian should
be comparable to your ubuntu experience.

/ johan

Archive: j3b73m$o5u$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j3b73m$o5u$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 08-28-2011, 01:13 AM
yudi v

I have always manually switched under linux, and I miss that functionality when using my windows installation, as it sometimes gives me music over the headset profile, which sounds terrible.

I will not say much about windows here but* see if you have two devices under Sound, video and game controllers in device manger.

there should be one for mono (HFP) and one for stereo (A2DP). Windows update took care of all the drivers, I did not even have to do it manually.

I can't believe Pulse server has to be installed to get this functionality. Hope someone knows how ALSA works with Bluetooth.

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 08-29-2011, 08:42 AM
yudi v

Couln't find any documentation on Bluetooth and ALSA.
This link is broken. http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/AudioDevices

Ended up installing Pulseaudio.

Followed this post. http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12497
Took less than 5 mins.

The only thing left is to find out how to get HFP and A2DP working at the same time like in Windows.

Anyone know how?

Kind regards,
Yudi