Old 08-27-2011, 12:20 PM
lina

Default Is seagate goflex compatible with debian

Hi,

Today I checked this one on store,

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/portable-hard-drive

the 1TB USB3.0 one, whose outside box showed the system requirements is:
Windows ....
Mac OS X operating system 10.4.11 or higher; 10.5.8 or 10.6.2 (32-bit
kernel only)

My questions is that:

is it compatible with mine OS: x86_64 GNU/Linux ?
How about 64-bit kernel Mac OS X?

(The lady there make me moved,
she stopped me buying it,
cause she can't guarantee me it will work, and it's not refundable,
she suggested me to wait for working day,
so she can call someone and let me know the result.)

Before the hard drive I used, I did not examine much, just feel it can
be plugged in windows, also Linux, no problems at all.

Thanks for any advice,

--
Best Regards,

lina

Old 08-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Rob Hurle

> Today I checked this one on store,
>
> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/portable-hard-drive
>
> the 1TB USB3.0 one, whose outside box showed the system requirements is:
> Windows ....
> Mac® OS X operating system 10.4.11 or higher; 10.5.8 or 10.6.2 (32-bit
> kernel only)
>
> My questions is that:
>
> is it compatible with mine OS: x86_64 GNU/Linux ?

I use a 500GB goflex and routinely move it between my Windows XP
system at work and my Debian Squeeze system (32-bit) at home. I've
had no problems.

> How about 64-bit kernel Mac OS X?

Sorry, no experience, but I would be surprised if it did not work.

Cheers,
Rob Hurle
--
-----------------------------
Rob Hurle

Old 08-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Andrew McGlashan

Hi Lina,

lina wrote:

Today I checked this one on store,

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/portable-hard-drive

I have a couple of these at a client site using Windows 2008 Server.
Sure, not Linux, but the software on the drive "Premium-grade software
simplifies backups & synchronization" .... if you don't intend to use
that software, then I am very sure that the drive will work fine on
Linux. However please read further.

is it compatible with mine OS: x86_64 GNU/Linux ?
How about 64-bit kernel Mac OS X?

It's a drive with a standard interface. The drive worked when plugged
directly into the motherboard of the above machine with data and power
(SATA connectors). The machine in question now has a USB 3.0 card
installed and the drive is working off that now.

When the drive was directly connected, it reported a model number. I
looked up the details and found that it wasn't as impressive as I had
hoped. From memory, I think this is the actual drive [1].

Capacity: 1.5TB
Speed: 5400 RPM
Cache: 16MB
Drive size: 14.8mm (not regular 9.5mm)
Interface: SATA
2.5” size
Model: ST1000LM003

So, being 2.5" form factor is nice, and so is USB 3.0, but the RPM and
cache are low .... it isn't a SATA III drive as I would have expected to
support the higher USB 3.0 speeds.

There was also a suggestion that the drives were "Momentus XT", similar
to these 500GB ones [2], but with higher capacity -- if these drives
were those ones but in 1500MB capacity, then it would have been fantastic.

Sadly, I am not seeing anywhere near the performance that was expected
with the drive you are looking at buying.

[1]
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Seagate-1-5TB-Laptop-2-5-Notebook-HDD-ST1500LM003-NEW-/180705374534?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a12e1 3146

[2]
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-au/products/laptops/laptop-hdd/

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Archive: 4E5906FA.4050206@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4E5906FA.4050206@affinityvision.com.au

Old 08-27-2011, 03:42 PM
lina

Thanks Andrew,

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Andrew McGlashan
<andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Lina,
>
> lina wrote:
>>
>> Today I checked this one on store,
>>

>> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/portable-hard-drive
>
> I have a couple of these at a client site using Windows 2008 Server. Sure,
> not Linux, but the software on the drive "Premium-grade software simplifies
> backups & synchronization" .... if you don't intend to use that software,
> then I am very sure that the drive will work fine on Linux. *However please
> read further.
>
>> is it compatible with mine OS: x86_64 GNU/Linux ?
>> How about 64-bit kernel Mac OS X?
>
> It's a drive with a standard interface. *The drive worked when plugged
> directly into the motherboard of the above machine with data and power (SATA
> connectors). *The machine in question now has a USB 3.0 card installed and
> the drive is working off that now.
>
> When the drive was directly connected, it reported a model number. *I looked
> up the details and found that it wasn't as impressive as I had hoped. *From
> memory, I think this is the actual drive [1].
>

> * Capacity: 1.5TB
> * Speed: 5400 RPM
> * Cache: 16MB
> * Drive size: 14.8mm (not regular 9.5mm)
> * Interface: SATA
> * 2.5” size
> * Model: ST1000LM003
>
> So, being 2.5" form factor is nice, and so is USB 3.0, but the RPM and cache
> are low .... it isn't a SATA III drive as I would have expected to support
> the higher USB 3.0 speeds.
>
> There was also a suggestion that the drives were "Momentus XT", similar to
> these 500GB ones [2], but with higher capacity -- if these drives were those
> ones but in 1500MB capacity, then it would have been fantastic.
>
> Sadly, I am not seeing anywhere near the performance that was expected with
> the drive you are looking at buying. *

The lady in that store suggested me to bring the laptop to test before buy it.
(They only have a windows laptops there,
such a nice lady,
in future if I need any electronic things I certainly will consider
there first.)
BTW, how do I examine the Cache?

Thanks again for your reply,

Best regards,

lina

Old 08-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Chris Brennan

On 8/27/2011 8:20 AM, lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I checked this one on store,
>
> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/portable-hard-drive
>
> the 1TB USB3.0 one, whose outside box showed the system requirements is:
> Windows ....
> Mac OS X operating system 10.4.11 or higher; 10.5.8 or 10.6.2 (32-bit
> kernel only)
>
> My questions is that:
>
> is it compatible with mine OS: x86_64 GNU/Linux ?
> How about 64-bit kernel Mac OS X?
>
> (The lady there make me moved,
> she stopped me buying it,
> cause she can't guarantee me it will work, and it's not refundable,
> she suggested me to wait for working day,
> so she can call someone and let me know the result.)
>
> Before the hard drive I used, I did not examine much, just feel it can
> be plugged in windows, also Linux, no problems at all.
>

> Thanks for any advice,

Lina,

I see my advice for Seagate was effective for you, glad to see it so. In
general though, I don't buy the preassembled externals. I prefer to shop
around for an enclosure on my choosing first, one I know will work with
what ever systems I am going to use it on, then I go and find an
appropriate hard-drive.

For example, I just bought this for my girlfriend

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0341014

And four of these:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0355641

The encloser is running in raid1 (so roughly 698G), her laptop (A
Pre-Dell Alienware M17x) is running in raid0 (~1.3TB). That external
does require it's own power and the cord isn't very long. On the bright
side though, It received some abuse from me the first week we had it.
While preforming backup's of her laptop, I and my cat both knocked the
external off the desk, it slammed to the floor, I picked it up and it
was perfectly fine, granted it only fell 3 feet but I plugged it into my
Squeeze box as well as my FreeBSD box and scanned the array, no errors
(and it was still coping data when it fell!).

Like I had said previously, I am using these very same drives elseware
(my laptop, the squeeze box as well as the freebsd box)

/dev/md0 233G 4.2M 233G 1% /mnt (xfs)
This is her two old laptop drives (Seagate 2.5", 16MB cache, 250GB,
7200RPM), they are running in a raid1 softraid array in Leviathan
(Squeeze). I swapped them out because the Intel fakeraid in the
Alienware died. So instead of just rebuilding a 500GB raid0 array, I
upgraded her to 2x750GB drives at ~1.3TB.

tank 559G 25K 559G 0% /tank (zfs)
This is 2x750GB, 16MB Cache, 7200RPM drives running in a raid1 array as
my primary data storage device. They are attached to a HPT RocketRaid
1720 Card (2xSATAII), hardware raid. The OS is FreeBSD 8.2.

I realize this is more information then you are asking for, and I
apologize for that. I just wanted to illustarte how well these drives
function and to show you that the external I pointed out will work in
Squeeze at the very least. If you want, I can grab her external after
Hurricane Irene is done leaving her mark on NYC and get you dmesg logs
from Squeeze and my laptop, running testing.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:28 AM
lina

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:
> On 8/27/2011 8:20 AM, lina wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Today I checked this one on store,
>>
>> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/portable-hard-drive
>>
>> the 1TB USB3.0 one, whose outside box showed the system requirements is:
>> Windows ....
>> Mac OS X operating system 10.4.11 or higher; 10.5.8 or 10.6.2 (32-bit
>> kernel only)
>>
>> My questions is that:
>>
>> is it compatible with mine OS: x86_64 GNU/Linux ?
>> How about 64-bit kernel Mac OS X?
>>
>> (The lady there make me moved,
>> she stopped me buying it,
>> cause she can't guarantee me it will work, and it's not refundable,
>> she suggested me to wait for working day,
>> so she can call someone and let me know the result.)
>>
>> Before the hard drive I used, I did not examine much, just feel it can
>> be plugged in windows, also Linux, no problems at all.
>>

>> Thanks for any advice,
>>

> Lina,
>
> I see my advice for Seagate was effective for you, glad to see it so. In
> general though, I don't buy the preassembled externals. I prefer to shop
> around for an enclosure on my choosing first, one I know will work with
> what ever systems I am going to use it on, then I go and find an
> appropriate hard-drive.

Hi, Thanks for your suggestion before.

I guess the pre-assembled externals is a bit more fit for me.
I don't have much knowledge about those things and on another hand,
kind of lazy.

> For example, I just bought this for my girlfriend
>
> http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0341014
>
> And four of these
> http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0355641
>
> The encloser is running in raid1 (so roughly 698G), her laptop (A
> Pre-Dell Alienware M17x) is running in raid0 (~1.3TB). That external
> does require it's own power and the cord isn't very long. On the bright
> side though, It received some abuse from me the first week we had it.
> While preforming backup's of her laptop, I and my cat both knocked the
> external off the desk, it slammed to the floor, I picked it up and it
> was perfectly fine, granted it only fell 3 feet but I plugged it into my
> Squeeze box as well as my FreeBSD box and scanned the array, no errors
> (and it was still coping data when it fell!).
>
> Like I had said previously, I am using these very same drives elseware
> (my laptop, the squeeze box as well as the freebsd box)
>
> /dev/md0 *233G *4.2M *233G *1% */mnt (xfs)
> This is her two old laptop drives (Seagate 2.5", 16MB cache, 250GB,
> 7200RPM), they are running in a raid1 softraid array in Leviathan
> (Squeeze). I swapped them out because the Intel fakeraid in the
> Alienware died. So instead of just rebuilding a 500GB raid0 array, I
> upgraded her to 2x750GB drives at ~1.3TB.
>
> tank *559G *25K *559G *0% */tank (zfs)
> This is 2x750GB, 16MB Cache, 7200RPM drives running in a raid1 array as
> my primary data storage device. They are attached to a HPT RocketRaid
> 1720 Card (2xSATAII), hardware raid. The OS is FreeBSD 8.2.
>
> I realize this is more information then you are asking for, and I
> apologize for that. I just wanted to illustarte how well these drives
Thanks.
> function and to show you that the external I pointed out will work in
> Squeeze at the very least. If you want, I can grab her external after
> Hurricane Irene is done leaving her mark on NYC and get you dmesg logs
> from Squeeze and my laptop, running testing.

Thanks, just it seems will trouble you lots.
I don't know how to understand those dmesg logs,
so please just forget about it.

Thanks again, and have a nice weekend,

Old 08-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Lisi

On Sunday 28 August 2011 05:28:40 lina wrote:
> > If you want, I can grab her external after
> > Hurricane Irene is done leaving her mark on NYC and get you dmesg logs
> > from Squeeze and my laptop, running testing.
>
> have a nice weekend,

Erm... How does anyone have a nice weekend watching her/his home be blown to
bits or damaged, badly flooded etc. and possibly most of his/her possessions
being destroyed?!

Lisi

Old 08-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Chris Brennan

On 8/28/2011 3:05 AM, Lisi wrote:
> On Sunday 28 August 2011 05:28:40 lina wrote:
>>> If you want, I can grab her external after
>>> Hurricane Irene is done leaving her mark on NYC and get you dmesg logs
>>> from Squeeze and my laptop, running testing.
>>
>> have a nice weekend,
>
> Erm... How does anyone have a nice weekend watching her/his home be blown to
> bits or damaged, badly flooded etc. and possibly most of his/her possessions
> being destroyed?!
>
> Lisi

Haha no worries Lisi, this weekend is shot to hell. 0330, NYC-Time, off
to bed now... (the worst is coming in now)

Old 08-28-2011, 07:43 AM
lina

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 28 August 2011 05:28:40 lina wrote:
>> > If you want, I can grab her external after
>> > Hurricane Irene is done leaving her mark on NYC and get you dmesg logs
>> > from Squeeze and my laptop, running testing.
>>
>> have a nice weekend,
>
> Erm... *How does anyone have a nice weekend watching her/his home be blown to

I am sorry about the hurricane,

and please do not take my words into another direction.

You know I did not mean that.

> bits or damaged, badly flooded etc. and possibly most of his/her possessions
> being destroyed?!

When my little sister she was in college many years ago,
She carried an umbrella,
the umbrella was broken into pieces and she was blowed couple of
meters away, terribly hurt.
But what was nice is that a boy coming to help her, in that day.
They are together for 6 years until now.

sometimes even things are bad, but also some nice things come along.

Please be positive, and the hurricane will be gone.

still have a nice weekend,

> Lisi

Best Regards,

lina

Old 08-28-2011, 07:43 AM
lina

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 28 August 2011 05:28:40 lina wrote:
>> > If you want, I can grab her external after
>> > Hurricane Irene is done leaving her mark on NYC and get you dmesg logs
>> > from Squeeze and my laptop, running testing.
>>
>> have a nice weekend,
>
> Erm... *How does anyone have a nice weekend watching her/his home be blown to

I am sorry about the hurricane,

and please do not take my words into another direction.

You know I did not mean that.

> bits or damaged, badly flooded etc. and possibly most of his/her possessions
> being destroyed?!

When my little sister she was in college many years ago,
She carried an umbrella,
the umbrella was broken into pieces and she was blowed couple of
meters away, terribly hurt.
But what was nice is that a boy coming to help her, in that day.
They are together for 6 years until now.

sometimes even things are bad, but also some nice things come along.

Please be positive, and the hurricane will be gone.

still have a nice weekend,

> Lisi

Best Regards,

lina