Old 08-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Rainer Dorsch

Default Color Webpage Printout on Black and White Printer Too Bright

Hello,

I have a black and white HP Laserjet 6P and when I print colored webpages they
are "translated" (dithered?) into black and white printouts, which is
perfectly ok and expected. What is unexpected though is that for me most
pages print by far too bright and are not readable at all.

I am wondering if I could "hook" a gimp script into the printout chain which
does a processing which improves he printout quality for color pages on the
printer.

It would also be perfectly acceptable for me, if I can define a second printer
in CUPS where the user sees a print preview and has a slide bar to adjust the
brightness of the printout (or if there are more then one dimension two or
three slide bars would be fine).

Does anybody know if hplip has a solution for this specific problem?

I appreciate any suggestion which addresses this problem in the ways I
scetched above or in completely different ways.

Thank you
Rainer
--
Rainer Dorsch

Old 08-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Roger Leigh

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 12:43:45PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> I have a black and white HP Laserjet 6P and when I print colored webpages they
> are "translated" (dithered?) into black and white printouts, which is
> perfectly ok and expected. What is unexpected though is that for me most
> pages print by far too bright and are not readable at all.
>
> I am wondering if I could "hook" a gimp script into the printout chain which
> does a processing which improves he printout quality for color pages on the
> printer.
>
> It would also be perfectly acceptable for me, if I can define a second printer
> in CUPS where the user sees a print preview and has a slide bar to adjust the
> brightness of the printout (or if there are more then one dimension two or
> three slide bars would be fine).

Gutenprint has rather more advanced dithering algorithms than stock
ghostscript, e.g. EvenTone. You could try setting up a separate
print queue using the Gutenprint PCL driver; it has plenty of
adjustment knobs to tweak the brightness, density, and dithering
options. Hopefully there's some combination that will be to your
taste!

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh

Old 08-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 12:43:45 +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> I have a black and white HP Laserjet 6P and when I print colored
> webpages they are "translated" (dithered?) into black and white
> printouts, which is perfectly ok and expected. What is unexpected though
> is that for me most pages print by far too bright and are not readable
> at all.

(...)

Yep, there are some setting you can play with, as Roger said. Let me
check it (this is from a laserjet 4050 with PS driver):

Levels of Gray
Printer resolution (this can also help)
Economode
Resolution Enhancement

You can also try to use a standard PCL6 driver, there can be additional
options to tweak with this driver.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón