Old 08-27-2011, 03:57 AM
Ivan Shmakov

Default free software & accessibility

[Cross-posting to both sfd-discuss@ and planning-ru@.]

[…]

> GNU/Linux provides superior alternatives to JAWS - the only reason
> more sight impaired people don't ditch MS is because they don't hear
> about it - and because they get stupid advice (you need to learn
> things - learning shouldn't be necessary).

I wonder, could the upcoming Software Freedom Day be a kind of
opportunity to spread the word of Free Software to them?

Our team would probably have joined the deal, but,
unfortunately, we don't apparently have anything to offer to the
sight impaired at our disposal (no embossers, no Braille
terminals, and I don't even know if the speech synthesizers
provided with Debian support Russian.)

[To the Russian teams: or do we have anything of this sort,
actually?]

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257 Coming soon: Software Freedom Day

Old 08-27-2011, 05:10 AM
Scott Ferguson

> GNU/Linux provides superior alternatives to JAWS - the only reason
> more sight impaired people don't ditch MS is because they don't hear
> about it - and because they get stupid advice (you need to learn
> things - learning shouldn't be necessary).

I wonder, could the upcoming Software Freedom Day be a kind of
opportunity to spread the word of Free Software to them?

Our team would probably have joined the deal, but,
unfortunately, we don't apparently have anything to offer to the
sight impaired at our disposal

I'd argue that you do, and have.
Debian and w3 make it easier for developers to build to standards. The
community helps developers make apps useable. Without those things
assistive technology is just a cart waiting on a horse.

(no embossers, no Braille
terminals, and I don't even know if the speech synthesizers
provided with Debian support Russian.)

Festival and espeak do - I don't know how well though (ваша оценка может
измениться)

[To the Russian teams: or do we have anything of this sort,
actually?]

[…]

Great idea.
GNU/Linux has the tools - but that's only part of the requirements.
Support and community is the rest of the equation - and that's one of
Debian's greatest strengths.

Cheers

--
"When two or more people agree on an issue, I form on the other side."
— Bill Hicks