Old 08-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Brad Alexander

Default Nagios question

I have beat my head against this for a couple of days now, and I can't figure it out. I have an OpsView (nagios3) server. Two of the servers I am monitoring are running Proxmox-VE, which is a Debian-based distro that allows easy management of KVM and OpenVZ machines, though my CPU only allows it to run OpenVZ.

There is a nagios plugin called check_ubc, which checks for increasing /proc/user_beancounters. This is an indication of a spec that needs to be tuned for the vm. In any case, I can run the check_ubc from the command line on both machines, but on the original server, hornet, when I run it from nrpe on the nagios server:

# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H hornet -c check_ubc
OK.

On the new server, built two days ago, same configuration, I get

# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H akagi -c check_ubc
NRPE: Command 'check_ubc' not defined

I have the check_ubc script in /usr/local/nagios/libexec/nrpe_local on both, the command is defined in/usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe_local/override.cfg with an include in /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg. Everything is the same on both servers. Why does the command work on one but not the other?

Thanks,
--b

Old 08-26-2011, 10:41 PM
David Parker

> There is a nagios plugin called check_ubc, which checks for increasing /proc/user_beancounters. This is an indication of a spec that needs to be tuned for the vm. In any case, I can run the check_ubc from the command line on both machines, but on the original server, hornet, when I run it from nrpe on the nagios server:

> # /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H hornet -c check_ubc
> OK.

> On the new server, built two days ago, same configuration, I get

> # /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H akagi -c check_ubc
> NRPE: Command 'check_ubc' not defined

> I have the check_ubc script in /usr/local/nagios/libexec/nrpe_local on both, the command is defined in/usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe_local/override.cfg with an include in /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg. Everything is the same on both servers. Why does the command work on one but not the other?

Just to clarify, the configs are *exactly* the same?* Are these two machines different architectures (32-bit vs. 64-bit, etc.)?

*** - Dave

Old 08-27-2011, 02:03 AM
David Parker

> > There is a nagios plugin called check_ubc, which checks for increasing /proc/user_beancounters. This is an indication of a spec that needs to be tuned for the vm. In any case, I can run the check_ubc from the command line on both machines, but on the original server, hornet, when I run it from nrpe on the nagios server:

> > # /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H hornet -c check_ubc
> > OK.

> > On the new server, built two days ago, same configuration, I get

> > # /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H akagi -c check_ubc
> > NRPE: Command 'check_ubc' not defined

> > I have the check_ubc script in /usr/local/nagios/libexec/nrpe_local on both, the command is defined in/usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe_local/override.cfg with an include in /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg. Everything is the same on both servers. Why does the command work on one but not the other?

> Just to clarify, the configs are *exactly* the same?* Are these two machines different architectures (32-bit vs. 64-bit, etc.)?

> Nope. Both are Dell PE 1850s with dual 3.2GHz Xeons. The only differing factor is that one has 2GB of RAM and the other has 6GB.

That's really strange.* This may seem obvious, but are the permissions on the config file correct, and is it readable by the user who is running this command?* Also, is the Nagios version the same on the two boxes?

Does strace show anything?* Try:

*** strace -o strace.out /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H akagi -c check_ubc

Then check strace.out and see if it shows anything along the lines of permissions errors, parsing errors, etc.

*** - Dave

Old 08-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Brad Alexander

David,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I ran strace on both and the telling item was

shutdown(3, 1 /* send */)************** = -1 ENOTCONN (Transport endpoint is not connected)

on akagi. As it turns out, restarting the client (again) fixed the problem. Thanks for reminding me about strace...Being a sysadmin and not a programmer, I forget about this tool.

--b