Old 08-26-2011, 03:30 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default Building the kernel myself

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Ralf Jung wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am trying to build the linux kernel myself... it's one of the
> things I always wanted to do ;-) plus I submitted some bugerports
> against the kernel and would like to test the patches there were
> written to fix them.

at the risk of a bit of self-promotion, i wrote an online course for
beginners to kernel programming, the first part of which is free and
walks you through how to configure, build and reboot a new kernel:

http://crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/introduction-linux-kernel-programming

i avoid all the nonsense involving packages and packaging, and just go
with cloning the git tree and manually installing the end result.
this works for me just fine on ubuntu, so i assume it should be just
as easy under debian.

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 08-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Ralf Jung

Hi,

> at the risk of a bit of self-promotion, i wrote an online course for
> beginners to kernel programming, the first part of which is free and
> walks you through how to configure, build and reboot a new kernel:
>
> http://crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/introduction-li
> nux-kernel-programming
>
> i avoid all the nonsense involving packages and packaging, and just go
> with cloning the git tree and manually installing the end result.
> this works for me just fine on ubuntu, so i assume it should be just
> as easy under debian.
Thanks for the link. I am using a git clone, too (want to get the actual
"vanilla" kernel), however I'd prefer the end-result to be in package form for
easier uninstallation. And, most importantly, I rely on dkms for two kernel
modules (namely the VirtualBox and fglrx modules), so this has to be triggered
somewhere.

Kind regards,
Ralf

Old 08-26-2011, 03:49 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Ralf Jung wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > at the risk of a bit of self-promotion, i wrote an online course for
> > beginners to kernel programming, the first part of which is free and
> > walks you through how to configure, build and reboot a new kernel:
> >
> > http://crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/introduction-li
> > nux-kernel-programming
> >
> > i avoid all the nonsense involving packages and packaging, and just go
> > with cloning the git tree and manually installing the end result.
> > this works for me just fine on ubuntu, so i assume it should be just
> > as easy under debian.

> Thanks for the link. I am using a git clone, too (want to get the
> actual "vanilla" kernel), however I'd prefer the end-result to be in
> package form for easier uninstallation. And, most importantly, I
> rely on dkms for two kernel modules (namely the VirtualBox and fglrx
> modules), so this has to be triggered somewhere.

with respect to DKMS, i run a manually hand-rolled kernel all the
time and i am constantly updating virtualbox, and the rebuild is done
automatically since i have the "dkms" package installed. so that by
itself shouldn't be an issue, but i appreciate that some folks prefer
to work with packages.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Ralf Mardorf

You need to run

make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd kernel-image kernel-headers

It's not doing any black magic and it never touches the configuration.
Perhaps there's an issue with preparing Debian for the very first time.

You only need to run this one time and then never ever again

apt-get update
apt-get install fakeroot build-essential crash kexec-tools makedumpfile
kernel-package kernel-wedge
apt-get build-dep linux
apt-get install libncurses5 libncurses5-dev libelf-dev asciidoc
binutils-dev

Take care of the emails wrapping.

--
Does anybody know where to get Quick Calculus by
Daniel Kleppner and Norman Ramsey translated to German?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Ralf Jung

Hi,

> You need to run
>
> make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd kernel-image kernel-headers
I put the fakeroot into the kernel-pkg.conf file, should have mentioned that,
sorry.

> It's not doing any black magic and it never touches the configuration.
> Perhaps there's an issue with preparing Debian for the very first time.
Well, as far as I can tell it runs "make oldconfig" each time. At least
whenever I ran make-kpkg, it took almost an hour, the full compilation time, I
don't know why - I thought it was due to the configuration. Besides that,
kernel-package is working great and the resulting kernel boots fine.
By "black magic" I mean it does a whole lot of stuff that I don't understand
;-)

Anyway, I found out why make deb-pkg creates so large files: the kernel was
build with debug information, and kernel-package obviously strips it away
somehow. So after disabling DEBUG_INFO, everything works as expected and the
initrd is even much smaller than the one shipped with Debian (I disabled a lot
of stuff I don't need).

Thank you all for your replies!

Kind regards,
Ralf

Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2011-08-27 at 00:19 +0200, Ralf Jung wrote:
> Well, as far as I can tell it runs "make oldconfig" each time.

No, since I compile by self written scripts and I have to run make
oldconfig by the scripts, because I wish to do this, it isn't done
automagically. It's essential to do this or something similar, when
switching to another kernel version. If you stay at the same version
nothing will happen, if you run make oldconfig a second time.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Ralf Mardorf

PS

I believe that you say the truth, but something seems to be broken for
your Debian.

--
Speeding Cars - Imogen Heap (cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ0_yUXidDI&feature=related

Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Ralf Jung

Hi,

> No, since I compile by self written scripts and I have to run make
> oldconfig by the scripts, because I wish to do this, it isn't done
> automagically. It's essential to do this or something similar, when
> switching to another kernel version. If you stay at the same version
> nothing will happen, if you run make oldconfig a second time.
Okay, then i probably miss-read the configuration output. And the reason for
the (almost) complete re-build on each run is another one.

Kind regards,
Ralf

Old 08-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 11:18:10 -0400 (EDT), Ralf Jung wrote:

> I am trying to build the linux kernel myself... it's one of the things I
> always wanted to do ;-) plus I submitted some bugerports against the kernel
> and would like to test the patches there were written to fix them.

I am in a hurry to get to a wedding; so I don't have time for a more
thorough reply right now; but you might want to take a look at

http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 AM
Ralf Jung

Hi,

thanks for that very informative link.
I can confirm however that with current Debian testing, "make deb-pkg" works
like a charm. It is a good idea to disable debug symbols though
(CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO) to keep the size of the modules reasonably.

Kind regards,
Ralf