Old 09-02-2011, 01:39 AM
Stephen Powell

Default Building the kernel myself

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 05:04:00 -0400 (EDT), Ralf Jung wrote:
> On Saturday 27 August 2011 17:57:00 Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> I am in a hurry to get to a wedding; so I don't have time for a more
>> thorough reply right now; but you might want to take a look at
>>
>> http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
>
> thanks for that very informative link.
> I can confirm however that with current Debian testing, "make deb-pkg"
> works like a charm. It is a good idea to disable debug symbols though
> (CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO) to keep the size of the modules reasonably.

To each his own. If you're happy with "make deb-pkg", then use it.
I still prefer make-kpkg because of its greater flexibility. (I only
get a headers package if I ask for one, for example. Most of the
time I don't need one.) I also like the ease with which one can
change the kernel version and the kernel revision.

However, regardless of whether you use "make deb-pkg" or make-kpkg,
you may find useful kernel-building information on the above web page.
For example, the hook scripts (zy-symlinks) come in handy for users
of boot loaders that use symbolic links, such as lilo, zipl, etc.
The above page does discuss "make deb-pkg", although it is not the
primary focus.

P.S. Please don't top post.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Ralf Jung

Hi,

> To each his own. If you're happy with "make deb-pkg", then use it.
> I still prefer make-kpkg because of its greater flexibility. (I only
> get a headers package if I ask for one, for example. Most of the
> time I don't need one.) I also like the ease with which one can
> change the kernel version and the kernel revision.
Sure, it's always great to have the choice for whatever tool you want (e.g.
I always need the header package as I got two DKMS-built modules)

> However, regardless of whether you use "make deb-pkg" or make-kpkg,
> you may find useful kernel-building information on the above web page.
> For example, the hook scripts (zy-symlinks) come in handy for users
> of boot loaders that use symbolic links, such as lilo, zipl, etc.
> The above page does discuss "make deb-pkg", although it is not the
> primary focus.
I will definitely read it, thanks.

> P.S. Please don't top post.
Sorry, I usually don't - I will be more careful in the future.

Kind regards,
Ralf