Old 08-26-2011, 02:59 PM
jeremy jozwik

Default black screen after install menu.

hello list. i have decided to make the plunge from installing linux on
my secondary computers, machines that dont matter if they are down for
weeks at a time, to installing on my main workstation.

unfortunately it is not going well so far. with bootable cds inserted,
i get to the debian installer menu [install, graphical install, ...].
after choosing and option, any option i am greeted with a big black
screen. in which nothing happens. no spinning drives, no blinking
lights, nothing. not even after 8 hours.

my though was perhaps it is my 6.0.2 cd, so i attempted to install
from my known-to-be-good 5.0.2 cd. same issue.
gparted also behaves this way after choosing its menu option.

has anyone attempted a debian install using a quadro 5600 card? i
suspect that for some reason.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 07:59:16 -0700, jeremy jozwik wrote:

> hello list. i have decided to make the plunge from installing linux on
> my secondary computers, machines that dont matter if they are down for
> weeks at a time, to installing on my main workstation.

Good decision... Once you know how well it works, you'll make the switch
with the rest of your machines :-P

> unfortunately it is not going well so far. with bootable cds inserted, i
> get to the debian installer menu [install, graphical install, ...].
> after choosing and option, any option i am greeted with a big black
> screen. in which nothing happens. no spinning drives, no blinking
> lights, nothing. not even after 8 hours.

Try with a text based install+expert mode.

> my though was perhaps it is my 6.0.2 cd, so i attempted to install from
> my known-to-be-good 5.0.2 cd. same issue. gparted also behaves this way
> after choosing its menu option.

Gparted LiveCD also goes black? :-?

> has anyone attempted a debian install using a quadro 5600 card? i
> suspect that for some reason.

I've performed most of all of my debian installs in nvidia cards (7600GS,
quadro fx 1500 and quadro nvs 440) and had no problems at all :-?

I would check if your card is currently supported by "nouveau" driver and
if not, try to enforce the installer to use framebuffer driver and once
the system is installed, get the nvidia closed source drivers.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Camaleón

El 2011-08-30 a las 07:36 -0700, jeremy jozwik escribió:

(resending to the list)

> thanks for the response! i was stating to think i was on my own with this one.
>
> > Good decision... Once you know how well it works, you'll make the switch
> > with the rest of your machines :-P
> ive already am running debian on everything, this was the last hold
> out only because i need windows for 3d studio max. my plan though is
> to dual boot.
>
> > Try with a text based install+expert mode.
> install options i have tried on different cds and different debian versions.
> install
> graphical install
> automated install
>
> > Gparted LiveCD also goes black? :-?
> after the initial options gparted would hang on a post message.
> interestingly enough when i tried it just now to tell you what message
> it hung on i got gparted to work! woo!
>
> > I've performed most of all of my debian installs in nvidia cards (7600GS,
> > quadro fx 1500 and quadro nvs 440) and had no problems at all :-?
> >
> > I would check if your card is currently supported by "nouveau" driver and
> > if not, try to enforce the installer to use framebuffer driver and once
> > the system is installed, get the nvidia closed source drivers.
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Camaleón
>
> well... now im a bit more confused. i attempted to do a bios update to
> my machine after realizing it was VERY out of date. but i have no
> floppy disks and tried to update through a cd. only got so far as to
> boot the machine with the cd inserted and never actually typed the
> "FLASH" command.
>
> after getting the gparted live cd to actually show up, now the debian
> graphical install is showing. darn dust bunnies...
>
> thanks for your brain cells i guess!

Well, glad to know you finally could reach the installer despite gremlins
seem to have fun with your machine ;-D

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-30-2011, 05:53 PM
jeremy jozwik

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> (resending to the list)
> Well, glad to know you finally could reach the installer despite gremlins
> seem to have fun with your machine ;-D
> Greetings,
> Camaleón

reply to all fail...