Old 08-25-2011, 12:00 PM
"Bill.M"

Default USB Headphones Sound problem

Hi folks,

I have sound working on my laptop - both the speakers and the RCA jack
output to powered speakers. Great. But my USB headphones don't work.
USB is enabled in the bios and there are a lot of USB and audio modules
installed. But perhaps there's one missing or the connection to the
headphones is not activated or doesn't override the speakers/RCA jack.
I'm not sure.

I believe the headphones are detected because in the Volume Control
Device selector "HP Premium Digital Headset" shows up. But selecting it
changes nothing.

Here's a couple of lists of installed modules. Anything missing?
Any other pointers?

b.

# lsmod |grep audio

snd_usb_audio 64070 1
snd_usb_lib 13960 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_hwdep 5380 2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 60503 8
snd_atiixp_modem,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_intel8x0m,s nd_ac97_codec,snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_ codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd 46526 19
snd_atiixp_modem,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_intel8x0m,s nd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi,snd_usb_audi o,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixe r_oss,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_ti mer,snd_seq_device
usbcore 122498 7
snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,uvcvideo,btusb,usbhid,eh ci_hcd

# lsmod |grep usb

snd_usb_audio 64070 1
snd_usb_lib 13960 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_hwdep 5380 2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 60503 8
snd_atiixp_modem,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_intel8x0m,s nd_ac97_codec,snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_ codec,snd_pcm_oss

snd_rawmidi 15515 2 snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_midi
snd 46526 19
snd_atiixp_modem,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_intel8x0m,s nd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi,snd_usb_audi o,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixe r_oss,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_ti mer,snd_seq_device

btusb 9913 2
bluetooth 41827 9 sco,bnep,rfcomm,l2cap,btusb
usbhid 33292 0
hid 63257 1 usbhid
usbcore 122498 7
snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,uvcvideo,btusb,usbhid,eh ci_hcd

nls_base 6377 3 isofs,udf,usbcore

Archive: 4E56395A.7070104@uniserve.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E56395A.7070104@uniserve.com

Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 AM
Celejar

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 05:00:26 -0700
"Bill.M" <bill3@uniserve.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have sound working on my laptop - both the speakers and the RCA jack
> output to powered speakers. Great. But my USB headphones don't work.
> USB is enabled in the bios and there are a lot of USB and audio modules
> installed. But perhaps there's one missing or the connection to the
> headphones is not activated or doesn't override the speakers/RCA jack.
> I'm not sure.
>
> I believe the headphones are detected because in the Volume Control
> Device selector "HP Premium Digital Headset" shows up. But selecting it
> changes nothing.
>
> Here's a couple of lists of installed modules. Anything missing?
> Any other pointers?

Have you instructed the individual applications to send sound to the
headphones?

Celejar

Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 PM
deloptes

Bill.M wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have sound working on my laptop - both the speakers and the RCA jack
> output to powered speakers. Great. But my USB headphones don't work.
> USB is enabled in the bios and there are a lot of USB and audio modules
> installed. But perhaps there's one missing or the connection to the
> headphones is not activated or doesn't override the speakers/RCA jack.
> I'm not sure.
>
> I believe the headphones are detected because in the Volume Control
> Device selector "HP Premium Digital Headset" shows up. But selecting it
> changes nothing.
>
> Here's a couple of lists of installed modules. Anything missing?
> Any other pointers?
>
> b.
>
> # lsmod |grep audio
>
> snd_usb_audio 64070 1
> snd_usb_lib 13960 1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_hwdep 5380 2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
> snd_pcm 60503 8

snd_atiixp_modem,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_intel8x0m,s nd_ac97_codec,snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_ codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd 46526 19

snd_atiixp_modem,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_intel8x0m,s nd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi,snd_usb_audi o,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixe r_oss,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_ti mer,snd_seq_device
> usbcore 122498 7
> snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,uvcvideo,btusb,usbhid,eh ci_hcd
>

> # lsmod |grep usb
>
> snd_usb_audio 64070 1
> snd_usb_lib 13960 1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_hwdep 5380 2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
> snd_pcm 60503 8

snd_atiixp_modem,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_intel8x0m,s nd_ac97_codec,snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_ codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_rawmidi 15515 2 snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_midi
> snd 46526 19

snd_atiixp_modem,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_intel8x0m,s nd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi,snd_usb_audi o,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixe r_oss,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_ti mer,snd_seq_device
> btusb 9913 2
> bluetooth 41827 9 sco,bnep,rfcomm,l2cap,btusb
> usbhid 33292 0
> hid 63257 1 usbhid
> usbcore 122498 7
> snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,uvcvideo,btusb,usbhid,eh ci_hcd
> nls_base 6377 3 isofs,udf,usbcore

some time ago we've discussed similar issues here

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=532431

regards