Old 08-24-2011, 11:33 PM
RiverWind

Default A Bit of a Strange Situation

Hey There,

I first of all wish to thank everyone who helped me out with my
secure shell issues. It turns out that there was an addressing
problem with my router, modem and my ISP, not to mention the fact
that my linux box has a static IPP address. Things got a bit
interesting, but the matter is about to be in hand.

I have downloaded the linux cookbook, which consists of over five-
hundred html files. I am wanting to concatenate them all into one
big neat file, with all of the smaller files in perfect order. Now
I know that "cat" can do this, but the file naming protocol is a
bit strange. The names of the smaller files have to accommodate
both "parts" and "sections", which makes for an interesting naming
format. For instance, the first is named "cookbook1.html#SEC1." I
tried the following command.

cat *.html#SEC0*

Now, were the files named something like "cookbook01-100.html",
there wouldn't be a problem. However, how does one go about
accommodating files that have two extensions? There is the standard
".html" extension, followed by the not so conventional "#SEC", and
I am not sure how to work it into the cat command.

Any suggestions will be highly welcomed, because I am wanting to
begin learning linux in earnest. I am trying to use books and
manuals before yelling for help, and I am very much looking forward
to the time when I can start giving help instead of always
hollering for it.

cheerio,
Riv

Feel free to visit my website and my blog and learn more about me
and what I stand for.
My Website @ http://riverwind.shellworld.net
My Blog http://windraven13.livejournal.com/