Old 08-24-2011, 03:42 AM
Magicloud Magiclouds

Default How to control network speed?

Hi,
For some reason, I have a linux machine that has to have a network
bandwidth limitation for the whole system. So I looked into command
tc. And used this script from the internet.
Well, the script returned successful, but in fact it did not effect anything.
Could someone help me? Thanks.

#!/bin/bash
#
# tc uses the following units when passed as a parameter.
# kbps: Kilobytes per second
# mbps: Megabytes per second
# kbit: Kilobits per second
# mbit: Megabits per second
# bps: Bytes per second
# Amounts of data can be specified in:
# kb or k: Kilobytes
# mb or m: Megabytes
# mbit: Megabits
# kbit: Kilobits
# To get the byte figure from bits, divide the number by 8 bit
#

#
# Name of the traffic control command.
TC=/sbin/tc

# The network interface we're planning on limiting bandwidth.
IF=eth0 # Interface

# Download limit (in mega bits)
DNLD=50kbps # DOWNLOAD Limit

# Upload limit (in mega bits)
UPLD=50kbps # UPLOAD Limit

# IP address of the machine we are controlling
IP=10.9.2.55 # Host IP

# Filter options for limiting the intended interface.
U32="$TC filter add dev $IF protocol ip parent 1:0 prio 1 u32"

start() {

# We'll use Hierarchical Token Bucket (HTB) to shape bandwidth.
# For detailed configuration options, please consult Linux man
# page.

$TC qdisc add dev $IF root handle 1: htb default 30
$TC class add dev $IF parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate $DNLD
$TC class add dev $IF parent 1: classid 1:2 htb rate $UPLD
$U32 match ip dst $IP/32 flowid 1:1
$U32 match ip src $IP/32 flowid 1:2

# The first line creates the root qdisc, and the next two lines
# create two child qdisc that are to be used to shape download
# and upload bandwidth.
#
# The 4th and 5th line creates the filter to match the interface.
# The 'dst' IP address is used to limit download speed, and the
# 'src' IP address is used to limit upload speed.

}

stop() {

# Stop the bandwidth shaping.
$TC qdisc del dev $IF root

}

restart() {

# Self-explanatory.
stop
sleep 1
start

}

show() {

# Display status of traffic control status.
$TC -s qdisc ls dev $IF

}

case "$1" in

start)

echo -n "Starting bandwidth shaping: "
start
echo "done"
;;

stop)

echo -n "Stopping bandwidth shaping: "
stop
echo "done"
;;

restart)

echo -n "Restarting bandwidth shaping: "
restart
echo "done"
;;

show)

echo "Bandwidth shaping status for $IF:"
show
echo ""
;;

*)

pwd=$(pwd)
echo "Usage: tc.bash {start|stop|restart|show}"
;;

esac

exit 0
--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Old 08-26-2011, 02:18 AM
green

Magicloud Magiclouds wrote at 2011-08-23 22:42 -0500:
> For some reason, I have a linux machine that has to have a network
> bandwidth limitation for the whole system. So I looked into command
> tc. And used this script from the internet.
> Well, the script returned successful, but in fact it did not effect anything.

Read this:
http://lartc.org/lartc.html

Old 08-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Artur Frydel

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Magicloud Magiclouds
<magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> *For some reason, I have a linux machine that has to have a network
> bandwidth limitation for the whole system. So I looked into command

That is why, because you using wrong filters. And limiting download on
single machine is not easy - you must use some bigger than simply tc

AFAIK in debian kernel is IFB module, and you always can use IMQ, but
this is not default in kernel.

--
Best regards.
Artur 'Bzyk' Frydel

Old 08-26-2011, 08:16 PM
green

Artur Frydel wrote at 2011-08-26 14:03 -0500:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Magicloud Magiclouds
> <magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > *For some reason, I have a linux machine that has to have a network
> > bandwidth limitation for the whole system. So I looked into command
>
> That is why, because you using wrong filters. And limiting download on
> single machine is not easy - you must use some bigger than simply tc

Ingress policing should work; it can be set up with tc.