Old 08-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Isaac Freeman

Default atfptd in squeeze won't do anything

I have been beating my head against the wall on this for a day and a half. I just installed atftpd (0.7.dfsg-9.1) on Squeeze. When I first installed it, it wouldn't take connections through the default inetd stuff. So I tried editing /etc/default/atftpd and setting USE_INETD=false and running it as a daemon. Still nothing. So I tried manually running /usr/sbin/atftpd, and no matter what options I give it (including none) it just prints the usage and exits, unless I specify --daemon and/or --no-fork in which case it just exits with an exit code 0 and there is no process running or anything listening on that port.

Please, any ideas, reports or similar (or even different) behavior, or any thing else would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me crazy. And I can't seem to find any recent howtos on the subject, they all seem to be several years old, or they say basically "apt-get it, and it should work".

Also, I tried getting tftpd-hpa working too with similar problems, but I haven't done as extensive of troubleshooting on that.

--

Isaac Freeman - Systems Administrator

IBM Information Protection Services

isaac@us.ibm.com

919-254-0245

Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:24:22 -0400, Isaac Freeman wrote:

> I have been beating my head against the wall on this for a day and a
> half. I just installed atftpd (0.7.dfsg-9.1) on Squeeze. When I first
> installed it, it wouldn't take connections through the default inetd
> stuff. So I tried editing /etc/default/atftpd and setting
> USE_INETD=false and running it as a daemon. Still nothing. So I tried
> manually running /usr/sbin/atftpd, and no matter what options I give it
> (including none) it just prints the usage and exits, unless I specify
> --daemon and/or --no-fork in which case it just exits with an exit code
> 0 and there is no process running or anything listening on that port.
>
> Please, any ideas, reports or similar (or even different) behavior, or
> any thing else would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me crazy.
> And I can't seem to find any recent howtos on the subject, they all seem
> to be several years old, or they say basically "apt-get it, and it
> should work".
>
> Also, I tried getting tftpd-hpa working too with similar problems, but I
> haven't done as extensive of troubleshooting on that.

Well, I've never used such service but I would:

- Read the docs ("/usr/share/doc/atftpd/"), maybe it requires some tweaks
to put it to work

- Review the logs, once you start the service and try to make a
connection from a client machine

- Look into Debian BTS, maybe there is a bug on that concrete package
that can be hitting you:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=atftpd;dist=unstable

- And finally, google for any recent tutorial/howto on the matter:

http://blog.kymera-it.com/2011/02/setting-up-atftpd-server-on-debian.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón