Old 08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
D G Teed

Default Installing debian package independent from system

A user would like the latest and greatest zsh and we have
a deb package for it. For security purposes I want to
keep the slightly older version of zsh obtained and maintained
from debian packages as the system default zsh.

I'm willing to install the later version of zsh in an alternate directory,
say under their home or in /usr/local for the one user.

I thought perhaps dpkg --root /usr/local/zsh with a copy of
/var/lib/dpkg placed under /usr/local/zsh would do the trick,
but it isn't happy as some part of this still believes we
are working on the main system dpkg path:

dpkg --root /usr/local/zsh -i ~username/zsh_4.3.12-1_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 73404 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace zsh 4.3.10-14 (using
.../username/zsh_4.3.12-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute old pre-removal script
(/var/lib/dpkg/info/zsh.prerm): No such file or directory
dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute new pre-removal script
(/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/prerm): No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing /home/username/zsh_4.3.12-1_i386.deb (--install):
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute installed post-installation
script (/var/lib/dpkg/info/zsh.postinst): No such file or directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
/home/username/zsh_4.3.12-1_i386.deb

Building from source would work too, but typically has care and feeding steps
just to get all the deps in line.

What is the best way to use a deb package and not have it as part
of the system's knowledge of installed packages? It is OK if at runtime
zsh has dependancy on system libs.

--Donald

Old 08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Darac Marjal

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:24:38AM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
> A user would like the latest and greatest zsh and we have
> a deb package for it. For security purposes I want to
> keep the slightly older version of zsh obtained and maintained
> from debian packages as the system default zsh.
>
> I'm willing to install the later version of zsh in an alternate directory,
> say under their home or in /usr/local for the one user.
>
> I thought perhaps dpkg --root /usr/local/zsh with a copy of
> /var/lib/dpkg placed under /usr/local/zsh would do the trick,
> but it isn't happy as some part of this still believes we
> are working on the main system dpkg path:

[cut: errors]

> Building from source would work too, but typically has care and feeding steps
> just to get all the deps in line.
>
> What is the best way to use a deb package and not have it as part
> of the system's knowledge of installed packages? It is OK if at runtime
> zsh has dependancy on system libs.

Well, I can see this, at least, being a problem. What if, for example,
the latest version of zsh depends on a version of a system library
that's incompatible with your current libraries (i.e. an ABI change)?

I would suspect your best bet is to set up a chroot with the new zsh and
its associated dependecies and set up an alias for the user such as
"alias new_zsh='chroot /path/to/chroot /bin/zsh'".

--
Darac Marjal

Old 08-23-2011, 03:25 PM
D G Teed

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:24:38AM -0300, D G Teed wrote:

> A user would like the latest and greatest zsh and we have

> a deb package for it. *For security purposes I want to

> keep the slightly older version of zsh obtained and maintained

> from debian packages as the system default zsh.

> I'm willing to install the later version of zsh in an alternate directory,

> say under their home or in /usr/local for the one user.

> I thought perhaps dpkg --root /usr/local/zsh with a copy of

> /var/lib/dpkg placed under /usr/local/zsh would do the trick,

> but it isn't happy as some part of this still believes we

> are working on the main system dpkg path:

[cut: errors]

> Building from source would work too, but typically has care and feeding steps

> just to get all the deps in line.

> What is the best way to use a deb package and not have it as part

> of the system's knowledge of installed packages? *It is OK if at runtime

> zsh has dependancy on system libs.

Well, I can see this, at least, being a problem. What if, for example,

the latest version of zsh depends on a version of a system library

that's incompatible with your current libraries (i.e. an ABI change)?

We would probably keep updating the zsh installed in the alternate root.I just want to have the system default zsh updated in the usual manner
and rest assured that the system default is patched often enough.
The alternate zsh can be updated, perhaps by the user, whenever theywant a later and greater version of zsh. *(Assuming I can get this
working from dpkg, otherwise we'll be building from tarball - butI was hoping Debian wouldn't force me into that).

Old 08-23-2011, 06:26 PM
D G Teed

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:24:38AM -0300, D G Teed wrote:

> A user would like the latest and greatest zsh and we have

> a deb package for it. *For security purposes I want to

> keep the slightly older version of zsh obtained and maintained

> from debian packages as the system default zsh.

> I'm willing to install the later version of zsh in an alternate directory,

> say under their home or in /usr/local for the one user.

> I thought perhaps dpkg --root /usr/local/zsh with a copy of

> /var/lib/dpkg placed under /usr/local/zsh would do the trick,

> but it isn't happy as some part of this still believes we

> are working on the main system dpkg path:

[cut: errors]

> Building from source would work too, but typically has care and feeding steps

> just to get all the deps in line.

> What is the best way to use a deb package and not have it as part

> of the system's knowledge of installed packages? *It is OK if at runtime

> zsh has dependancy on system libs.

Well, I can see this, at least, being a problem. What if, for example,

the latest version of zsh depends on a version of a system library

that's incompatible with your current libraries (i.e. an ABI change)?

We would probably keep updating the zsh installed in the alternate root.I just want to have the system default zsh updated in the usual manner

and rest assured that the system default is patched often enough.
The alternate zsh can be updated, perhaps by the user, whenever theywant a later and greater version of zsh. *(Assuming I can get this

working from dpkg, otherwise we'll be building from tarball - butI was hoping Debian wouldn't force me into that).
Searching more for how dpkg can handle something like a relocate, it
appears this is not an option. *The solution for me was to downloadthe tarball, configure, make and make install, which placed analternate version of zsh under /usr/local as desired. * Not many
dependencies*so it wasn't as painful as some packages toinstall this way.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Walter Hurry

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:24:38 -0300, D G Teed wrote:

> A user would like the latest and greatest zsh and we have a deb package
> for it. For security purposes I want to keep the slightly older version
> of zsh obtained and maintained from debian packages as the system
> default zsh.

Your reasoning does not seem logical to me. If you need to stick to an
older version of a given package for "security purposes", then why allow
one user access to an allegedly insecure version?

On the other hand, if it is considered safe for that user to have access
to the latest version, then why not just make it standard for everyone?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM
D G Teed

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Walter Hurry <walterhurry@lavabit.com> wrote:

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:24:38 -0300, D G Teed wrote:

> A user would like the latest and greatest zsh and we have a deb package

> for it. *For security purposes I want to keep the slightly older version

> of zsh obtained and maintained from debian packages as the system

> default zsh.

Your reasoning does not seem logical to me. If you need to stick to an

older version of a given package for "security purposes", then why allow

one user access to an allegedly insecure version?

On the other hand, if it is considered safe for that user to have access

to the latest version, then why not just make it standard for everyone?

The user has a shell account and access to a compiler. *If they wantto, they can compile and create zsh or other software and run itunder their own home area. *There is no policy blocking that.
I'm merely helping them out a little, and gaining a bit oforganization in contrast to letting users create their own*solution.
If there was a security issue against zsh, chances are that script kiddies
would be*looking at the one in the default location, not the hand compiled one.
There is also a small risk that the hand compiled one becomes unsupportedtemporarily due to lib updates, so it can't hurt to carry the supported version
as a fall back.