Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Curt

Default no more system bell after squeeze upgrade

I don't have the system/terminal beep (bell) in Gnome anymore after
upgrading to squeeze.

curty@einstein:~$ lsmod | grep pcspkr

pcspkr 1699 0

curty@einstein:~$ xset -q

(snippy)

bell percent: 50 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100

No bell/beep in the console either.

Alsamixer has a 'Beep' channel I've unmuted, but it seems to turn on a
sound card beep (though only in the console), but I want the internal
motherboard beep I had before, the annoying one that gets on people's
nerves and just about everybody else tries to turn off.

I've already spent over an hour on this idiotic exercise in futility. Over
an hour has not been sufficient.

Helpful ideas welcome if anyone has any.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 13:42:05 +0000, Curt wrote:

> I don't have the system/terminal beep (bell) in Gnome anymore after
> upgrading to squeeze.

(...)

> Alsamixer has a 'Beep' channel I've unmuted, but it seems to turn on a
> sound card beep (though only in the console), but I want the internal
> motherboard beep I had before, the annoying one that gets on people's
> nerves and just about everybody else tries to turn off.

Hum... IIRC there was a change upstream (GNOME) about this and now
libcanberra handles system sounds using speakers in favor of the
motherboard beep but I don't remember exactly what is the current status
for this.

However, I can hear a short beep coming from the internal speakers of my
netbook in wheezy when shutting down/restarting the system while gnome-
terminal produces no beep at all.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón