Old 08-23-2011, 02:58 AM
Bill Nottingham

Default Use LVM

I know what this means. You know what this means. But is it clear
to all users of anaconda what this means?

Not sure what the alternatives would be.

[ ] Use logical volume manager

Makes it a little more clear. Although I doubt anyone thinks a German
insurance company is involved here.

[ ] Allow for resizing and expanding volumes

This doesn't describe everything LVM does, but it may be a start.

Bill

Old 08-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Chris Lumens

> I know what this means. You know what this means. But is it clear
> to all users of anaconda what this means?
>
> Not sure what the alternatives would be.

> [ ] Use logical volume manager
>
> Makes it a little more clear. Although I doubt anyone thinks a German
> insurance company is involved here.

> [ ] Allow for resizing and expanding volumes
>
> This doesn't describe everything LVM does, but it may be a start.

I looked around a little bit on the internet, and there's not really a
good, brief description of what LVM is. Everyone describes it by
expanding the acronym.

Perhaps we could label it as a choice:

[ ] Use logical volumes instead of partitions

But, we still do use partitions to put the PVs on so that could be
pretty confusing. I'm not sure we can do too much better than your
first example. I think all other attempts are going to end up using
"volume", whatever that means.

- Chris

Old 08-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 13:48 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > [ ] Allow for resizing and expanding volumes
> >
> > This doesn't describe everything LVM does, but it may be a start.

> Perhaps we could label it as a choice:
>
> [ ] Use logical volumes instead of partitions
>
> But, we still do use partitions to put the PVs on so that could be
> pretty confusing. I'm not sure we can do too much better than your
> first example. I think all other attempts are going to end up using
> "volume", whatever that means.

Who would use LVM? Who do we recommend use it? Do we recommend desktop
users with a laptop and a single HDD use it?

~m